Nugget Shooter Forums

Two amateurs in need of help!

Good day chaps and chapessess

My friend an I were doing a spot of gem hunting the other day and came across a particularly unusual rock for the area.

Remembering the trusty tips the fellow of Meteorite Men told us the night before we picked it up.

Since then we have had no luck identifying the stone; terrestrial or not. Closest thing we can find is the Achondrite collections, here if I can link:

http://www.meteorite-pictures.org/Achondrite-Meteorite-Pictures/

If you dont mind can you have a look and maybe help us out with some expertise.

History of the rock is:

Was found in small bank / stream, Scotland

No other rock like it in the area and we covered a lot of ground

Brown outer 'skin' - looks weathered and rusted. Brittle, pieces just slot off it.

Black interior - with various different crystal formations throughout

Rock is egg shaped, pointed a one side and rough stoney texture of reverse.

Polished one side crudely with dremel, interior was black with white rock fills.

No bubbles on surface or interior.

Magnetic

Weighs a ton.

Side with 'fusion skin' is very smooth and in a forward boat shape and looks melted where as further sides look partially melted.

Any help would be great guys and gals.

Many thanks

TeamAlpompost-27315-0-37717400-1408819606_thumb.jpost-27315-0-26982100-1408819644_thumb.jpost-27315-0-52455200-1408819702_thumb.jpost-27315-0-95667400-1408819757_thumb.jpost-27315-0-38886000-1408819806_thumb.jpost-27315-0-95295800-1408819845_thumb.jpost-27315-0-08341400-1408819920_thumb.jpost-27315-0-55187000-1408819949_thumb.j

Ok, I would say it would be helpful for you to take a look at the links in this section:

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=26446

When you look at it have your rock near so that you can determine what type of meteorite it looks like from the pictures.

I'm not an expert but I have found several meteorites and bought a few. None of the ones I have found or own look like the pictures you are showing me here.

Mitchel

Hello Team Alpom,

First, let me thank you for posting several, and not just one photo. It gives us a much better, overall description.

In that regard, can you please post some close-up photos of both exterior, and interior. When you say it is magnetic,

is it barely, moderately, or heavily magnetic? Have you done a "streak test"? You mentioned "crystal formations".

Are they actually crystals, or some sort of inclusions? Again, a close-up would help. Also, you might want to knock

off a piece and send it to a geologist, or the meteoritics department of a university for analysis, if one is nearby.

To me, it looks like basalt but, some Lunar meteorites are basaltic. A close-up of a cut, or polished interior area

would help a great deal to identify your interesting find.

Good Hunting, Ben

It doesn't look like a meteorite to me. I do not see any indication of fusion crust, the exterior is too rough and the overall appearance and consistency (for lack of a better word) don't look meteoritic to me. Being that you found it in a stream bed it was likely transported there, so it would not be unusual to not find any other similar rocks in the area. There are many terrestrial processes that produce dark coatings on rocks. Meteorites like dry climates, so one would not expect to find a meteorite in a stream bed in Scotland (unless it just fell there, but this is very clearly not a freshly fallen meteorite of any type).

Edited by Mikestang

Hi All we checked the density it is 3.4 there are no crystals but little inclusions that glisten,

as to it was transported as

Mikestang

suggested we where at the top of the mountain and the stream was a run off to main stream very small,

surely not enough water to move 1.7kg

, piecing together all we can from the glorious net.

i would say it looks like a melting took place smoothing a portion of our rock then it slowly changes to the end portion

when we found it.

it was the what i can only describe as what i thought was a gem matrix coated in rusty stone material., but they where loosely fitted slotted in even . that was the face up side they have all came off now they are very light but highly magnetic as if they could be some sort of frothy scum possibly the tail end of a meteorite, we shall send a piece for an analysis in scotland if any one would like to test it for us just leave us a message .thank you all keep the info coming .

We shall keep you updated.

i would say it looks like a melting took place smoothing a portion of our rock then it slowly changes to the end portion

when we found it.

it was the what i can only describe as what i thought was a gem matrix coated in rusty stone material., but they where loosely fitted slotted in even . that was the face up side they have all came off now they are very light but highly magnetic as if they could be some sort of frothy scum possibly the tail end of a meteorite, we shall send a piece for an analysis in scotland if any one would like to test it for us just leave us a message

Unfortunately none of that sounds like traits of a meteorite. Please keep us updated on the analysis.