Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Reno Chris

Today's SDC 2300 gold - 6 more nuggets, 3.2 grams

Went out again with the SDC 2300 to the same place where I got the 21 nuggets recently and got another 6 nuggets with a total weight of 3.2 grams or a bit over 2 pennyweight. it brings me to 4 pennyweight with the SDC here. I am finding nuggets in groups at this location, so I also brought in my dry washer for a test. By seeing all the small nuggets in an area, the SDC 23000 is doing a great job of identifying the range and shape of patches that can then be worked by various means - scrape, dig, sluice or dry wash. Because this place is dry, I brought out my dry washer. The dry washer showed that yep, there is tiny gold here that is too small even for the SDC, which I can collect. I spent the bulk of the day detecting, the dry washer was only for a test, but I was happy with the results for the limited time invested, I got roughly an additional half gram with the dry washer. Still loads of places to hit with the SDC and the 2300 is identifying places to dry wash in the future as I go.

Sorry for the low quality pic, I have laptop computer problems which are limiting my photo options.

post-187-0-74407300-1408684152_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

By seeing all the small nuggets in an area, the SDC 23000 is doing a great job of identifying the range and shape of patches that can then be worked by various means - scrape, dig, sluice or dry wash. Because this place is dry, I brought out my dry washer. The dry washer showed that yep, there is tiny gold here that is too small even for the SDC, which I can collect.

Wondering when you were going to bring in the dry washer. Seems to me if you're finding surface smalls, there are larges deeper down and upstream from the smalls.

Question… do you think what you found with the SD could have just as easily been found with a GB2 or GMT?

First, let me say I have a GB2 and love it. Its a great detector. However, there are a million little hot rocks at this spot that the SDC ignores but VLFs hit on - like you might hit 5 hot rocks on every swing. Its hard to sort through all the hot rocks, so its not a good spot for a VLF.

The cons from the dry washer were full of bean to marble sized chunks of magnetite and what didn't make the DW cons were small volcanic rocks the size of a walnut which will make VLFs zip.

Edited by Reno Chris

The great part about that type of consentrates is that the gold will drop out fast !.....The SDC is definitely making its mark on the hobby, and it makes me wonder what is in the pipeline for the new GPX series....

First, let me say I have a GB2 and love it. Its a great detector. However, there are a million little hot rocks at this spot that the SDC ignores but VLFs hit on - like you might hit 5 hot rocks on every swing. Its hard to sort through all the hot rocks, so its not a good spot for a VLF.

The cons from the dry washer were full of bean to marble sized chunks of magnetite and what didn't make the DW cons were small volcanic rocks the size of a walnut which will make VLFs zip.

Don't keep us in suspense… let's see the results of your dry washing. Sounds like you hit upon some decent ground. I would imagine a bunch of digging is in order.

A few questions on the SDC 2300....

Understanding the benefit that it is collapsable and waterproof......

Is it more sensitive than a GPX 5000 with an 8" commander or nugget finder 8 x 6 coil? Are the electronics/technology in the machine..."next generation" beyond the GPX 5000 or is the detection technology the same as currently in the GPX 5000?

I find nuggets that are sub .05 of a gram with my GPX 5000 with the above mentioned coils.

Currently you can buy a brand new GPX 5000 for $4000.00 from most Minelab dealers by just making a call to them. This is just nominally over the retail list price of the SDC 2300 (which I'm sure is also negotiable over the phone and a negotiated price will only decline as the novelty wears off). So I believe that an individual in the market for the first time for a Minelab PI is better off purchasing a GPX 5000.

I'm not really out doing some sort of head to head field test of the GPX vs the SDC. I'm sorry if you got the wrong idea - that was never my intention. My goal here was to find some gold, and I did that. There is no question that the GPX 5000 is a more flexible detector with so many programmable options and different coils. There is no question the GPX punches deeper on bigger nuggets.
Here is a worthwhile quote from Bruce Candy - Chief Scientist for Minelab Electronics and the inventor of both the SD, GP, GPX & SDC detectors:
“You will find more small nuggets and fine-threaded specimen gold in mineralised soils with the SDC 2300 than any other gold detector, including the GPX 5000.”
- Bruce Candy, Chief Scientist Minelab Electronics

Small stuff is where the SDC 2300 shines. Flexibility and punching deeper is better with the GPX. Everybody gets to make their own choice. Some crazy folks like me will choose both.

Edited by Reno Chris

Here is a little more I picked up in the last few days at another location. Some extremely hot ground, serpentine bedrock with bright red soil. Looks to be 50% magnetite based on what my magnet dragged up. Worst stuff I have been in with the SDC and it handled it well. It would want to groan if moved too fast as the ground balance and autotune struggled to keep up. Answer - just slow down! I still had no problem running at sensitivity three. Anyway, long story short 11.2 grams or 7.1 pennyweight. Largest nugget about 3 grams.

post-514-0-65297500-1409802873_thumb.jpg