Nugget Shooter Forums
notime

If You Could Only Have One Gold Detector...

If you could only have one gold detector which one would it be and why?

I have done OK with old 90s VLF technology. Yup that gold bug 2 came out when I was in high school and is still beeping. I like it because it was made to find gold...

Yep, I would go with with the Gold Bug too. Light, Relatively Cheap and finds the small stuff.

My Gold Bug II is bent so I can only beep vertical surfaces :head:

My Gold Bug II is bent so I can only beep vertical surfaces :head:

Perhaps you are standing on the wrong surface?

Chest mount GMT. Most productive detector I have ever used. And I have owner over 100 different detectors.

Perhaps you are standing on the wrong surface?

Yea Patrick , I`m just going to call it a " modification"

To answer the original question kinda......There is a lot more smaller gold than bigger statistically, so I may be tempted to use the Gold Bug II as Boulder Dash suggested. It may come down to a "bread & butter" type situation

Edited by adam

The GPX 5000. Glad I don't have to own just one.....

Im with Reno on this one. I love the Goldbug but if the money is there 5000 100%.

AJ

Adam, you may be in luck, I heard people are finding nuggets in the air these days!

Mike Furness has'nt had any luck with that yet... as he is fond of saying so.

Notime ... Can't face the facts? Name me someone who knows what they are doing and has found gold in the air! Go have another beer!

Mike F

Edited by Mike Furness

Now getting back on track with this thread ... My go to detector is definitely the GPX5000. I have two favorite back-ups though ... Fisher's GB Pro and White's MXT.

Mike F

Edited by Mike Furness

Never owned a Whites. Ok Built a Whites Clone Surf Master PI but can't get the Delay down to less then 12us to find gold. Best it will do is 4" on a Gram nugget. Just Garrett's and Home Brews. Bounty Hunters, LS Camo. Can find a backing of 14K Ear Ring down to 8" but somewhat ignores Natural Gold. Off the Wall Brands BFO. Never Under Estimate the powers of a BFO!

BFO's work most well finding black sands in the Benches that may or may not hold gold.

No real reason not to own a Whites except the Case they had. Black is not a good thing here in the South West. Get's too hot. The Garrett Green is almost as bad but I just hang a white towel over them and all is good. Past ones that I seen was bulky and just more case then should be needed. then needed.

GPX 5000

Why? It will pull a wider range of gold sizes out of a wider range of ground types than any other detector currently on the market.

Deleted post

Edited by homefire
  • Like 1

Minelab 4500......goes way deep.

Aloha, Gold Bug 2 because it is light but my GMT sure found me a LOT of meteorites, irons and even some gold to boot. Right now it is just gathering dust since my stroke. IMUA!

Last night I found gold on the beach (a ring) and a silver ring with my 5000. Most people here don't talk about the custom settings for the 5000 but you can set it up for almost anything if you want to dig! The iron reject worked well with my water proof coil. Get a hip stick and the weight is not a problem and be willing to work SLOW.

Mitchel

GPX 5000 for sure. You can take it out of the box and find gold. I found a 2.05 oz Arizona gold nugget with factory presets. And last year it found over 3 oz of gold in Arizona in 2 weeks, detecting only on weekends.

GPX 5000, more versatile and with the timings it has and switching coils there is no other gold detector that can hold a candle to it on large or small gold in my opinion. Once one learns how and why he should switch coils and the proper timing to apply finds greatly increase.....

Notime ... Can't face the facts? Name me someone who knows what they are doing and has found gold in the air! Go have another beer!

Mike F

What facts... Mike? What the heck are you talking about?

Can anyone clue me in to what Mike is talking about?

Mike F

Never mind mike... after the beer wore off I figured it out. Didn't like my remark regarding your favorite saying? Sorry If your feelings were hurt.

I don't think Mike's feelings can be hurt. He's a big boy- sticks and stones, and all that.

Go have another beer :4chsmu1: