Nugget Shooter Forums

GBII upside Down Coil Windings???

Got a new GBII made in July of this year... 2014.

Is it normal to get a louder tone on the top face of the coil than on the bottom face of the coil when passing a target in front of it?

I get the louder responce when doing an air test being that I cannot turn the coil over and do a test on an inground target.

Could it be possible that the coil windings are upside down or is this normal?

All responces will be much appreciated.

Best advice is to take what you got from the posters above and go out in the field and find gold. Don't waste time on air tests ... I have yet to find a nugget in the air! Your coil is fine.

Mike F

Yup GeoJack that's true ... forgot about the hand test. Even my GB Pro picks up my left hand ... not my right for some reason though. Guess I just have more 'salts' in the left than the right. Neither hand has rings, pins or any metal ... thtat is why when recovering a target with my GB Pro I always use a plastic scoop.

Mike F

Yup GeoJack that's true ... forgot about the hand test. Even my GB Pro picks up my left hand ... not my right for some reason though. Guess I just have more 'salts' in the left than the right. Neither hand has rings, pins or any metal ... thtat is why when recovering a target with my GB Pro I always use a plastic scoop.

Mike F

Mike - Your left had has the embedded tracking device :nutty: . Now you need to get your pinpointer out and figure out where to cut! :brows::4chsmu1:

Haderly ... Leave it to you to come up with that ... HOWEVER when I go out to the garage later this morning I will bring my best knife and find the pinpointer amongst my gear ... then ..........

Mike F

Dooooooooe Maybe it's the Wedding Ring?

On a DD coil there is no upside down.

There are only three coils for the Gold Bug 2, a 6.5" elliptical, 10" elliptical and 14" elliptical. All three are concentric coils - there has never been a DD coil produced for the Gold Bug 2

http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-equipment/fisher-gold-bug-2-nugget-metal-detector.htm

If you're holding the target in your hand it could account for a louder response, the field goes in both directions.

I tied a small picker to a thread and was swinging it back and forth accross the coil. It did not respond to the thread its self as I tested it first.

Best advice is to take what you got from the posters above and go out in the field and find gold. Don't waste time on air tests ... I have yet to find a nugget in the air! Your coil is fine.

Mike F

I was not questioning wether or not it is detecting, I was wondering why the responce was louder on the top side of the coil.

Like I said, had to do an air test because I cannot turn the coil upside down and detect something in the ground... the cord would prevent that.

I was not looking for gold anyway, I had just made that observation.

I haven't found anything in the air but dust, bugs and birds. Wish I could find gold in the air, I would not need a metal detector.

Air test with just your hand, no target. I think you will see why.

Yea, the bug will detect the minerals in your hand alright.

And the sound is louder on top than on the bottom... with my hand as well.

No jewelry on my hand or metal under my finger nails.

I will call fisher and talk with tech, someone who will likely know if there may be a problem with my gold bug 2, elliptical consentric coil.

I'll let you all know if this is normal or not.

notime, not being a wise guy but why do you care if it's louder on top? I use the top of the coil to check the target in my plastic scoop, works great. Bottom is used to locate, top to id in scoop. Edges can be used as well.

notime, not being a wise guy but why do you care if it's louder on top? I use the top of the coil to check the target in my plastic scoop, works great. Bottom is used to locate, top to id in scoop. Edges can be used as well.

Just seemed strange to me was all.

I just figured that if it was a mistake and corrected, the signal louder on the bottom, that it would pick up targets better. Strongest foot forward.

Do you have a coil cover on? If so you might check under it for debris and then run your test again with it off. Dunno if it will change anything.

There are only three coils for the Gold Bug 2, a 6.5" elliptical, 10" elliptical and 14" elliptical. All three are concentric coils - there has never been a DD coil produced for the Gold Bug 2

http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-equipment/fisher-gold-bug-2-nugget-metal-detector.htm

I stand Corrected.

Do you have a coil cover on? If so you might check under it for debris and then run your test again with it off. Dunno if it will change anything.

Yes, coil cover is on. Good point Jack, coil cover could be the reason.

Fits so darn tight that I'm affraid I'll damage the coil trying to get it off in order to see for sure if it's the cover.

Yes, coil cover is on. Good point Jack, coil cover could be the reason.

Fits so darn tight that I'm affraid I'll damage the coil trying to get it off in order to see for sure if it's the cover.

If you do clean it out this may sound stupid but it works.

Rub some tooth paste on the lip of cover to seal out the sands and dirt. When you want to remove it just pore some warm water over it and soften the tooth paste

If you do clean it out this may sound stupid but it works.

Rub some tooth paste on the lip of cover to seal out the sands and dirt. When you want to remove it just pore some warm water over it and soften the tooth paste

I doubt there is anything under the cover, it is new and I've only been able to use it in my backyard.

Not a stupid idea at all using tooth paste to seal it, never would have thought of that.

When I do take it off after having a chance to use it a bit in the dirt I'll do the tooth paste trick for sure. Thanks for the tip.

Now I know the Hand can do the thing. It's the salt in your body that it see's. I was just Bunking on the Ring thing. Buy the way there is no up side down on a Concentric Coil either. LOL

Now I know the Hand can do the thing. It's the salt in your body that it see's. I was just Bunking on the Ring thing. Buy the way there is no up side down on a Concentric Coil either. LOL

That's good to know that there is no upside down on a concentric... LOL.

As far as the salt in the hand goes, that's why I used the thread to dangle the gold from.

I think that you were the only one to come up with any worth considering though... the coil cover. Sometime the obvious is the hardest to see.

Archived