Nugget Shooter Forums

id of possible meteorite

Not a chance, that's a crystal.

Not to be rude, but why the F would you think that is a meteorite? It has literally nothing in common with a meteorite.

Edited by Mikestang

Not a chance, that's a crystal.

Not to be rude, but why the F would you think that is a meteorite? It has literally nothing in common with a meteorite.

Well I don't know what you call it Mr Expert, but I'm from the old school, and that's what I call xxxxxx rude, do you have any friends, or didn't your parents teach you manners? Maybe that is why this board is dying, because of know it all so-called EXPERTS like you, lets see what university did you study meteorites in? Oh that's right you didn't!

Edited by seas3to5

hgi guys can anyone tell me if this is possibly a meteorite i found it in a box that belonged to my uncle thanks , mike

The color seems to be off from the flash on the camera. The crystal structure looks like tabular hematite from the buckskin Mountains, but that is only if it is black with a mirror like sheen to it.

Well I don't know what you call it Mr Expert, but I'm from the old school, and that's what I call xxxxxx rude, do you have any friends, or didn't your parents teach you manners? Maybe that is why this board is dying, because of know it all so-called EXPERTS like you, lets see what university did you study meteorites in? Oh that's right you didn't!

Mike I would have to agree with Seas3to5, it's very apparent that Mike2014 is a new member and this was his first post and also it seems that he doesn't know much if anything about meteorites and thus asked a simple question, everyone had to start learning at some point!!

I was a little shocked to read your reply, I have always known you to be very helpful to others on this forum when it comes to your knowledge of meteorites.

Nuggetshooter forum was created by Bill first and foremost as a place people can come to learn and share about hunting for gold, meteorites, and relics, etc., Bill has said numerous times he started this forum to help teach others, so why is it that you can't help someone learn about meteorites in a friendly fashion and feel you must put someone down that is trying to learn, if you would have left out only a couple of words and one letter, you would have made your point and helped Mike along on his learning curve in meteorites or in this case a meteorwrong, and not make him feel like he has no right to ask a question on this forum?

Sorry, but this one is so clearly not a meteorite that it speaks to me as someone being lazy. It's like posting a picture of cheese and asking if it's a meteorite. The OP could have spent 1 minute reading any of a number of online resources to easily determine that what they have in no way resembles any meteorite ever. That would have taken less time than registering for this forum and posting this question. This example is not like some rocks that are confusing or appear to be meteorites to a beginner, I'm happy to help with rocks like that. I love helping people, but they have to at least try to help themselves first. It is apparent this person made no attempt to learn about meteorites on their own. They could have pulled a pair of shoes out of the same box and posted a picture asking if they were meteorites and it would have garnered the same response.

seas3to5, I never claim/claimed to be an expert. I have many friends and I call their BS all the time; I do the same in a professional setting. If someone says or does something stupid I'm the first to speak up on it. I'm more of an ass in person, ask anyone who knows me. I wasn't aware that you had copies of my University transcripts and were versed in my education, though, I'd be curious to know where you got that information.

Edited by Mikestang

There's a difference between "I've read the guide on XYZ site and my rock is attracted to a magnet and has what appears to be fusion crust, is it a meteorite?" and "I found this [obviously not a meteorite] in a box, is it a meteorite?" This first illustrates someone who made an attempt to figure it out on their own but couldn't, the second shows no effort made at all.

Sorry for being an ass, not the first time and won't be the last. :shake2:

Edited by Mikestang

While I don't neccessarily agree with the style of Mikes reply (nor am I qualified to cast the first stone)...I have to agree with his opinion.

There was clearly no effort made to read backposts on this forum and probably no effort looking in searching for meteorite info...

However, if Mike2014 is willing to take the info, learn and put up with gruff people like me or maybe Mikestang he can learn mucho.

Mike2014 is certainly not the first to come here without a little self-help first...welcome to the forum

fred

Hi Mike2014,

Go on Amazon.com and pick up a copy of "Rocks from Space". It's the meteorite hunter's Bible,

It will help you get all the basics for identifying rocks that even "begin to look like" meteorites.

Nice looking crystal though. Probably quartz or calcite.

Ben

Edited by Regmaglitch

There's a difference between "I've read the guide on XYZ site and my rock is attracted to a magnet and has what appears to be fusion crust, is it a meteorite?" and "I found this [obviously not a meteorite] in a box, is it a meteorite?" This first illustrates someone who made an attempt to figure it out on their own but couldn't, the second shows no effort made at all.

Sorry for being an ass, not the first time and won't be the last. :shake2:

It's very simple, this guy took the time to sign up, asking for a opinion and what he got was cursed at. Did you every think that the guy might have turned into someone that was really interested in meteorites, if he got a polite answer. I have a lot of meteorites wrongs, that I've brought home to try to prove that they might be a meteorite, I'm not going to do any testing out in the field. Where I don't have the right light conditions to see if what I think is metal, TURNS OUT TO BE A SILICON.

I have three very small fragments of the Sutter's mill meteorite fall, that I found on the second day of our hunt there, that we have kicked around since the fall, trying to put a 100% positive ID on those fragments! They were found where the bus ran over them in the parking lot. I also have one fragment, that we did prove was from the fall. That was found in the same parking lot but a little farther way from those first three pieces. If I posted the photos anybody would have a hard time saying the they were a carbonaceous meteorite.

I could have sold them the day I found them, but wanted to put them under a good microscope and add them to my collection of meteorites that I personally found.

All I'm saying is when someone takes the time to sign up on this board, even if what they have is very obvious not a meteorite, anybody that responses should remember where they started from, you had to ask all of those what we consider silly questions. You weren't sure what you found was a meteorite, and if you didn't have the good guidance, from someone that knew what they were doing you would be totally lost making a positive ID on a lot of meteorites.

I was very fortunate when I started out when I met Kaimi, as I call him Mr Lucky and did some hunts with him a a few of the other guys, They taught me a lot, about our hobby. Now days I spend most of my time out in the field with Terry Scott and Rob hunting for that next elusive cold find.

I don't post that much, but someone cursing at a newbe got to me, just because the guy asked a question!

It would have been just as easy to put up a link to: http://meteorites.wustl.edu/meteorwrongs/meteorwrongs.htm

http://meteorite-identification.com/mwnews/discoverysciencecenter.html

Gee does the one photo there look just like what was posted.

There is no need for anybody to be a ass, and think they are gods gift to identifying meteorites from photos that someone post. Photos have got to be one of the worst way of trying to identifying meteorites!

Now that I'm done with my rant, I hope that we never see someone posting in a very condescending way of telling somebody that they didn't find a meteorite!

Mike2014,

At the top of this forum is a Pinned Post in Green.

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=26446

There are several links there which will tell you the basics of meteorite identification and you will not have to buy any books.

Mitchel

Mike2014

Those of us that know Mike understand he had no malice. I have been there before and sh** happens.

Mike is one of the good guys,who has the credentials to back it. I'm not trying to speak for Mike,just adding

my 2cents.There are some great people on this forum, I hope you stick around and get to know them.

Richard AKA kgmrg

Edited by kgmrg

I concur!

I, not knowing Mikestang personally, only via his posts on these forums, have known him to be most helpful.

I have gotten to know Mike a little better via this topic and I now think he must be related to Hoser John :brows: and you have to take both John and Mike for who they are along with the vast knowledge that they both have in their fields of expertise!!

Mikestang, no harm, no foul, thanks for your explanations and your continued help in this forum.

Skip

I know Mike, and have met him several times on group hunts, and like him. As a somewhat new hunter, I had a number of questions about hunts and meteorites which Mike was happy to answer and spend a little time with me. He's a really good guy and I hope we are on many hunts together in the future.

It's very simple, this guy took the time to sign up, asking for a opinion and what he got was cursed at. Did you every think that the guy might have turned into someone that was really interested in meteorites, if he got a polite answer. I have a lot of meteorites wrongs, that I've brought home to try to prove that they might be a meteorite, I'm not going to do any testing out in the field. Where I don't have the right light conditions to see if what I think is metal, TURNS OUT TO BE A SILICON.

I have three very small fragments of the Sutter's mill meteorite fall, that I found on the second day of our hunt there, that we have kicked around since the fall, trying to put a 100% positive ID on those fragments! They were found where the bus ran over them in the parking lot. I also have one fragment, that we did prove was from the fall. That was found in the same parking lot but a little farther way from those first three pieces. If I posted the photos anybody would have a hard time saying the they were a carbonaceous meteorite.

I could have sold them the day I found them, but wanted to put them under a good microscope and add them to my collection of meteorites that I personally found.

All I'm saying is when someone takes the time to sign up on this board, even if what they have is very obvious not a meteorite, anybody that responses should remember where they started from, you had to ask all of those what we consider silly questions. You weren't sure what you found was a meteorite, and if you didn't have the good guidance, from someone that knew what they were doing you would be totally lost making a positive ID on a lot of meteorites.

I was very fortunate when I started out when I met Kaimi, as I call him Mr Lucky and did some hunts with him a a few of the other guys, They taught me a lot, about our hobby. Now days I spend most of my time out in the field with Terry Scott and Rob hunting for that next elusive cold find.

I don't post that much, but someone cursing at a newbe got to me, just because the guy asked a question!

It would have been just as easy to put up a link to: http://meteorites.wustl.edu/meteorwrongs/meteorwrongs.htm

http://meteorite-identification.com/mwnews/discoverysciencecenter.html

Gee does the one photo there look just like what was posted.

There is no need for anybody to be a ass, and think they are gods gift to identifying meteorites from photos that someone post. Photos have got to be one of the worst way of trying to identifying meteorites!

Now that I'm done with my rant, I hope that we never see someone posting in a very condescending way of telling somebody that they didn't find a meteorite!

Well stated and I agree 100%. To me a condescending answer is worse than no reply at all. If you don't like the question don't answer it. But if you do answer it be respectful and helpful. Arrogance and a KIA attitude just tend to piss people off. The idea is to promote the hobby, not turn people off

• 2 weeks later...

While walking the waterline sands of Pacific Beach, CA for the last three mornings, I have found rocks washed up from the ocean. That must mean they are meteorites, huh? Not a shell. Not a sand dollar. Must be a meteorite! No, I won't take any personal responsibility, or read up on the subject. That would show

minimal interest, and minimal effort. Okay, I knew it likely WASN'T a meteorite, so can you tell me if it is a world-class diamond? Okay, I admit even a slug like me realizes that it's not likely to be a world-class diamond, but can you tell me if it's a chunk of platinum? No. I don't have any Idea what a raw diamond, or platinum looks like, any more than a meteorite or a tanzanian turd, but since I can't possibly look it up on the same digital device that took me to this website, because it would take a bare modicum of effort, I feel; free to ask unlimited, unqualified questions of the people who HAVE TAKEN the time to actually read a minimum about the subject.

Okay, okay. Is it a an extremely rare blue, star saffire?

Oops, Ben

Alright, seriously, is it a piece of sculpted pre-Columbian jade........?