Nugget Shooter Forums

Garrett ATX Extreme vs Garrett Infinium LS

notime

Looking to buy a PI unit, cannot and do not want to shell out anywhere near $5,000.

Hoping someone here has used both machines and can give a fair evaluation whether the extra $1,000 for the Garrett ATX Extreme @ $2120 over the Garrett Infinium LS @ $1052 is worth the extra cost.

Are going to be looking for gold nuggets? If so , find a used Minelab .....Dealers often sell used ones and may even offer some field training. Used Minelabs also go up in the classifieds from time to time.

Edited by adam

Good old reliable Infinium by far from all the tests I've seen done. Go to classifieds and read a owners truths as he trying to "honestly" sell one also. Just backs up what I've seen in the field. John

Thanks for the plugs guys!

I have used both the a Infinium and ATX extensively. The ATX easily outperforms the Infinium on gold nuggets. It will hit smaller gold the Infinium will simply not detect and will hit larger nuggets deeper than the Infinium. The ATX has a superior iron disc system.

The ATX costs twice as much as an Infinium. It also weighs far more and unlike the Infinium cannot be hip or chest mounted without modification. The Infinium has a superior accessory coil availability. The accessory coils for the ATX must be purchased with an attached lower rod assembly and therefore cost three times as much as an Infinium accessory coil.

Bottom line if all you care about is performance the ATX is the better unit. But the Infinium has a far better physical configuration and costs far less. I wish I could get an ATX in an Infinium box. Or better yet a custom light weight dry land version.

Edited by Steve Herschbach
  • Like 1

Thanx Steve as I didn't get to run the test, a seller did at his house. As usual--not the machine but the man behind the machine makes all the difference. Further looking/testing/use needed-thanx again-John

Hi John,

For twice as much money the ATX better outperform the Infinium because as I noted there is little else about it that is better than an Infinium!

The guy also could have had a bum unit. Sadly, all the manufacturers make one from time to time. I wonder how many people get their hands on sub-performing units and never realize it?