Nugget Shooter Forums

Mineral photography ... the do's and do nots any advice..

I am sure many of you have a great collection of gold nuggets and specimens....has anyone entered the world of macro mineral photography? I have been cruising the net and have seen some awesome pictures of specimen gold and wonder :89: how they do it. I a m sure with the talent pool on this forum someone may want to share some knowledge as far as equipment ( cameras, lighting and technique on photographing gold nuggets and specimens in particular. If you would like to share it with us, many including myself would appreciate it.

Fred

Nikon Coolpix rocks. Goor for underwater and dropping is also covered. Do movies or exacting micro. Just look at thread called Tracked below and see the details. A circular light or a 4 bulb light(ceiling fan style) provides great coverage in the lighting area. I have a small tripod that really helps also. John

Edited by Hoser John

John, Homefire

I checked out that Nikon...looks like the way to go. The rest is lighting..and tripod and a heavy bench to prevent vibration and a lot of experimenting with lights.

Azblackbird....great link ! thanks as it gave me some ideas....

Edited by Relichunter2

I have a 1x - 3x microscope and just take one rubber eye piece off and put my digital camera up to it. You need to play with the F stop settings to get the lighting right. Not perfect, but gets the job done.

post-25522-0-36136200-1407706219_thumb.jpost-25522-0-05622600-1407706248_thumb.j

Chris,

I have been reading some great stuff from John Betts Minerals and also from Scovil who has a great reputation in this type of photography. As you say the camera is extremely important, I am going to buy a good digital camera like the one John mentioned Nikon Coolpix and build the set first and experiment with the lighting on black glass as background. Than just experiment with lighting angles and shoot. GeoJack, I thought of those microscope type cameras also, looks like it would work very well for those small specimens ....I have seen your photos on you site, they look very good. As I get more experience, I can upgrade to a better camera.

Fred

Edited by Relichunter2

IDdesertman,

It looks like a good camera is the way to go...I am looking at the Canon ES 450d with a Canon EF-S60mm Macro lens..... The rest will be a custom made box for shooting the minerals...and a piece of glass sprayed black on one side to get a nice black background void of dust and smudges. It appears cool white 11 watt flourecent lamps are the way to go with top and side illumination and some diffusers to get the lighting just right..and of course a tripod or a drill press mount for no vibration and still photography. So that's my plan....now the time to get all this together... :) when I do....I will post some thumbnail size mineral specimens on the forum. Thanks for all your ideas and help...