Nugget Shooter Forums

Driving in dry washes questions

notime

I heard that driving in drywashes was illegal here in AZ, what's your thought, unfounded or not?

After a good rain the washes flood, has anyone experience driving in same after the water receeds?

How long is a good time to wait so one does not get stuck from the gravel being soft?

Just to add you could be say in black Canyon City and nice sunny skies but a storm pounds Prescott. You could be in that wash and suddenly see a five foot wall of mud, water and logs coming towards you..... many times it will be much higher. Keep one eye to the north or upstream all the time for dark clouds

Edited by Joe Z

Before i knew how dangerous it was this is me parked in a Wash for a full day on one of the Abbey claims near the Aqua Fria...... I will never do that again LOL

post-26225-0-30539700-1407298909_thumb.j

You have to practice area awareness before heading out to any given area. I use google earth, weather reports, BLM area maps and what ever I can get my hands to learn as much about the area before my visit. I've had a number of first time trips into an area were it felt like I have been there before. How ever once in the area I practice "when in doubt I back out, period" if it seems a bit shakily. Sandy roads can be very unforgiving especially when you solo your trips like I do.

During our rainy season (in CA) I keep an eye on the weather conditions and I have left because the weather conditions became a bit more serious than I was comfortable with. But its just not the local weather condition you need to be aware of, a rain storm can and has caused flooding locally even though the rain storm was a 100 miles away. This especially true for areas with a number of narrow canyons. To mitigate some of this the when I solo my trip I always try camp on high ground and in an area with good visibly.

Hope this helps a little

Cheers, Beers, & Gold

Chuck

KG6SYX

:old:

I'm still somewhat the safety POC for Route 66 Gold Miners, Inc, Brea, CA. To assist new and old Route 66 members we have posted a number of recommended safety tip on the Route 66 web site. These safety tip maybe found at - http://www.route66goldminers.com/prospecting-safety-tips/.

Cheers, Beers, & Gold

Chuck

KG6SYX

:old:

I wont take my truck off road...Just to dangerous....

Me either...you can scratch the paint also.

Tom

Chuck ... Just read through all the guides ... good primer for all to read ... BUT it is just a start. Best sumation I can offer is USE COMMON SENSE!

Thanks for the guides.

Mike F

Has nothing to do with waiting and everything about scouting the "road" on foot to determine if it's solid enough.

How long is a good time to wait so one does not get stuck from the gravel being soft?

Has nothing to do with waiting and everything about scouting the "road" on foot to determine if it's solid enough.

I can agree with that, scout the road to determined that it is safe to now drive on... has everything to do with waiting after a hard rain or flood.

Edited by notime

I'm just waiting for my hover conversion install so I will not break the laws any more. I'm tired of dragging branches behind my bumper to cover my tracks.

Come on BD....just do what I do...drive backwards and it erases the tracks :P

Tom