Nugget Shooter Forums

GBII vs Tesoro Vequero Stock Coil on GOLD. Some what dissapointed in GBII

Any thoughts? Maybe I'm missing something using the GBII or it's flawed, or maybe I have a freak vequero.

Not knowing the vequero and its stock coil, as well as I should have, in the past I would always have the discrimination knob turned on to its lowest point and then try and tune out trash by turning the discrimination higher.

I performed an air test with a small gold picker before I got the GBII and could'nt get much of a responce. After testing the same picker with the GBII I got a strong zip zip sound as expected.

It was then that I decided to try the vequero again, this time with the discrimination turned off, never knew I did'nt have to turn on the discrimination in the past in order to hunt with it. To my surpprise I got almost as strong of a signal on a gold picker as the GBII at the same distance.

I then tested them against each other this time with the picker under some dirt. The vequero picked it up but not as well as the GBII, again as expected. My question is if the vequero, using a 5.75 DD coil, would be better on gold than the GBII.

In the past I asked a Tesoro tech if the vequero would hit on gold with a different coil. He said the 5.75 DD would find the really small pieces, now I'm thinking that the vequero would be as good if not better machine than the GBII with its 6.5 coil.

One thing that got me wondering is that the GBII when using either the high mineralization mode and or the iron discrimination the depth at which I get a signal on the picker is greatly reduced if not gone. The same with the vequero if I turn on the discrimination.

Therefore what's the use in using either the iron mode or the mineralization mode outside of the normal mode on the GBII? With the vequero, the same thing, turn on the discrimination and loose the gold target. Most people say that they use the GBII's normal mode and dig everything and only use the iron discrimination when hitting on a hot rock.

It's my guess that if you can only get a signal on gold in the normal modes with the GBII, same as the vequero, discrimination off, then the vequero is the cheaper way to go. It's a better detector for coins and jewelry anyway and seams to be just as good on gold, maybe even better with a 5.75 DD coil than the GBII.

There is absolutely no way Jose that that statement is even anywhere near correct. Get someone with experience with a GB2 and you'll be corrected immediately. How many nuggets have you found in the air :arrowheadsmiley: as a detectors abilities are predicated on their abilities in the field dealing with the intense ground mineralization which contains gold and NOT blue sky and bs. :th: John

Number one rule....always hunt in all metal mode!

First, read and re-read the manuals...All vlf detectors lose depth with descrimination ( usually between 20 to 30 %). If a multi-purpose detector is what you want then the Tesoro is the answer. If you want one of the top 5 small gold, vlf detectors then the gb2 is absolutely the answer...

then get out in the gold fields for some real-life gold hunting.

fred

There is absolutely no way Jose that that statement is even anywhere near correct. Get someone with experience with a GB2 and you'll be corrected immediately. How many nuggets have you found in the air :arrowheadsmiley: as a detectors abilities are predicated on their abilities in the field dealing with the intense ground mineralization which contains gold and NOT blue sky and bs. :th: John

No way Huh, maybe you never tried it. If you can remember what you have read you would have remembered that I did an 'inground' test... Not just the air test. No biggy, maybe you just like to capitalize on your "how many nuggets have you found in the air" BS

Anyone else? Looking for intelligent replies! Prefferably someone who has both detectors so they know what they're talking about..

I don't have a Tesoro Vequero but have been using the GB 2 for a couple of years and have had opportunities to test it along side others. It is a remarkable detector and I've also heard the TV is a great machine as well. Just haven't heard it is better than the GB 2 for small gold. I would think a lot depends on the gold as well.

I can tell you that the gold I detect cannot be heard as well by the majority of the detectors out there.

We have gold that is very porous. I just tested it alongside a GB Pro and the GB 2 did a better job, on the gold I have. Your results may vary.

post-25522-0-39377500-1407186704_thumb.j

I will say that confidence in your detector will find you more gold, so if the TV gives you more confidence and the GB 2 is disappointing to you, use your TV and find some gold.

Anyone else? Looking for intelligent replies! Prefferably someone who has both detectors so they know what they're talking about..

So, I am stupid and don't know anything...

most people have to actually get to know me before they figure that out...................

not a great way to get information from me...good luck

fred

most people have to actually get to know me before they figure that out...................

fred

Did'nt get any anyhow.

Play nice, I don't want to have to step in to Moderate this topic.

notime, you asked for opinions and they have replied with what they think, so take the advise for what it is, or isn't.

John meant no harm or ill feelings, it's the way he talks and always has, he has many, many years of experience, Fred as well is a very knowledgeable nugget hunter with many years under his belt, they replied with what they thought was best for the question asked.

Play nice, I don't want to have to step in to Moderate this topic.

notime, you asked for opinions and they have replied with what they think, so take the advise for what it is, or isn't.

John meant no harm or ill feelings, it's the way he talks and always has, he has many, many years of experience, Fred as well is a very knowledgeable nugget hunter with many years under his belt, they replied with what they thought was best for the question asked.

Sorry Admin, just did'nt think it was appropriate for John to isinuate that I was full of BS regarding my observation, especially when he has'nt made a comparison with the same detectors. I'll take your view point though as I think this forum is usefull.

Notime,

I understand where you took what John said in the way you did, not knowing John's way of speech his meaning can sometimes be misunderstood, he was just trying to say that only gold that has been in the ground for many many years or since it was created will tell you the answer to your question, reburying gold can't replicate the mineral halo that forms around gold that has never been out of the ground, especially in highly mineralized ground, the only way to find the answer to your question is to go to a gold field and find a target in the ground and test the response of both detectors before digging the target, if the target is gold you can then compare the abilities of both detectors and I would suggest that you do several tests if possible because no 2 nuggets are going to be alike as far as how the are situated in the ground, e.g. on edge, flat, etc. and the mineral halo around said nuggets.

I don't know the answer to your question, I do know what the abilities of the Gold Bug 2 are, but I have no experience on the Tesoro Vequero, but I would be surprised if it out performed the Goldbug 2 in a gold field.

‚ÄčIf you do some testing in the field I would love to hear the results.

Many 100s a times(Fisher 1,000s back to Motherlode 660 and original Gold Bug with Erwin Lee)) over the years as was one of tesoros very first distributors(biggest sales too) back in 84 for almost 20 years. Done many units product testing. If you want candy coatings I'll be more than happy to let ya believe in gold performance testing in the air as that was the SPECIFIC ASSERTION THAT WAS SPECIFICALLY ANSWERED. :arrowheadsmiley: hahahaha .No problem as no time for no time no more :4chsmu1: John

The fact that you say you didnot get any good info from my response reveals many things to me. Andyour original question tells me you didnot read the manual, or, if you did, did not read what was written...

So between my experience and Hoser's we have probably 60 or 70 years of mistakes we have learned from...but,clearly we lack your intelligence and perception...I have cast enough of my pearls.....

fred

NoTime ... You blew it ... Two of the best ... and I might add extremely experienced ... contributors to this forum have given you the gems to answer your question and you have refused to listen ... don't ask if you don't want to get good advice ... if you truly want to disagree with an opinion then say so but don't trash the given opinion from folks like John and Fred ... this forum has a lot of experienced and willing contributors ... use them to your advantage ... just saying as my humble opinion.

Mike F

Having used both the GBII and the Vaquero for many years, there is NO WAY the Vaquero can find small gold as well as the Goldbug II. The Vaquero is one of the best jewelry- and coin-shooting detectors on the market today, and I use it exclusively here on the East coast for that purpose. It was not built to be used as a gold nugget hunter. The Vaquero is not as good as the Lobo Super Traq for gold prospecting, or the Goldbug II - both of which were designed to nuggetshoot.

Try not to insult some of the most experienced gold prospectors on this forum. They have THOUSANDS of hours of experience with dozens of different machines.

fred

No Fred, not stupid.

Having used both the GBII and the Vaquero for many years, there is NO WAY the Vaquero can find small gold as well as the Goldbug II. The Vaquero is one of the best jewelry- and coin-shooting detectors on the market today, and I use it exclusively here on the East coast for that purpose. It was not built to be used as a gold nugget hunter. The Vaquero is not as good as the Lobo Super Traq for gold prospecting, or the Goldbug II - both of which were designed to nuggetshoot.

Try not to insult some of the most experienced gold prospectors on this forum. They have THOUSANDS of hours of experience with dozens of different machines.

Thanks for the knowledgable answer Terry. Like admin said... should test on an actuall peice of gold that has'nt seen day light. I don't insult anyone that I feel has'nt insulted me first. Thanks for the input.

NoTime ... You blew it ... Two of the best ... and I might add extremely experienced ... contributors to this forum have given you the gems to answer your question and you have refused to listen ... don't ask if you don't want to get good advice ... if you truly want to disagree with an opinion then say so but don't trash the given opinion from folks like John and Fred ... this forum has a lot of experienced and willing contributors ... use them to your advantage ... just saying as my humble opinion.

Mike F

I did not insult Fred, infact I respected his opinion... just did'nt say so. John did not answer anything. If I don't like advice I sure will not ask for it. I never disagree with anyones opinion, unless it's insulting. Enough with the off topic trashing of me defending myself... please! We simply need to step out of grade school on this forum and act as adults...and I appoligize if I have offended anyone first.

The fact that you say you didnot get any good info from my response reveals many things to me. Andyour original question tells me you didnot read the manual, or, if you did, did not read what was written...

So between my experience and Hoser's we have probably 60 or 70 years of mistakes we have learned from...but,clearly we lack your intelligence and perception...I have cast enough of my pearls.....

fred

I read the manual and I read what was written... I guess I did not though. WOW... I must have clicked the wrong quote button Fred and directed my responce wrongfully toward you as I respected your opinion, which was the second one. Johns reply, first one, to my post was insulting and I defended myself.. and that is where all this garbage started flying around. Why don't everyone who's pitching trash go back to the begining of this topic and re-read it. Start from the begining this time. Again... I applogize!

Fred, I think he was after John.

Thanks Geo, you are correct.

No problem...I really should not react so quickly...but, even at 64 my mouth gets way ahead of my better sense...

That said, I value Respect much more than popularity...so sometimes ...well enough of that.

fred

Many 100s a times(Fisher 1,000s back to Motherlode 660 and original Gold Bug with Erwin Lee)) over the years as was one of tesoros very first distributors(biggest sales too) back in 84 for almost 20 years. Done many units product testing. If you want candy coatings I'll be more than happy to let ya believe in gold performance testing in the air as that was the SPECIFIC ASSERTION THAT WAS SPECIFICALLY ANSWERED. :arrowheadsmiley: hahahaha .No problem as no time for no time no more :4chsmu1: John

LOL... thanks for the candy Hoser.

Archived