Nugget Shooter Forums

How far will a 9mm kill?

I have argued with many that the 9mm is all you need in a pistol( I'm only talking semi-auto pistol here not a revolver) round. There are still those that swear by the .45 ... and some recent followers of the .40 and even newer .357 sig ... that's OK ... BUT I am not going to say I will ever take a 100 yard or longer shot with my 9mm pistols ... However, if this video is an indication and if I can hit the target it is going down. My only question is the 9" penetration through shot of ballistic jelly ... that seems a bit much at 440 yards!

Mike F

I have argued with many that the 9mm is all you need in a pistol( I'm only talking semi-auto pistol here not a revolver) round. There are still those that swear by the .45 ... and some recent followers of the .40 and even newer .357 sig ... that's OK ... BUT I am not going to say I will ever take a 100 yard or longer shot with my 9mm pistols ... However, if this video is an indication and if I can hit the target it is going down. My only question is the 9" penetration through shot of ballistic jelly ... that seems a bit much at 440 yards!

Mike F

I was thinking the same Mike, but I justified it because their use of the longer barrel on the Cal-Tec 2000 which helps maintain the velocity.

Well, my 9mm doesn't have to hit anything over 50 feet ...But if I have to try, a 15 round mag is going to give me a fair chance of one on the button! ... Cheers, Unc

Like all bullets they can be loaded with many MANY kinds of powders and amount of powder to increase their capacity to kill. On all my ammo I have plain,green and red designations,even on 12 gage(stock breakers) Grains marked on boxes that are packed inside. I love my flame throwers but them teflon impregnated,biforcated,wax sealed .357 mag shredders(reds)are tree cutters. Roll your own and the world of ammo opens wide- :old: John

Edited by Hoser John

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN as kaboom in the face can be a deadly game. Recalibrate scales every time utilized or mistakes are made. My bud did that and made wrist breakers even his HUGE ol'arse couldn't handle and took apart. John

I didn't see any clothing on that wood. NOr did I see any fat. Have you seen some of the people in the MIdwest :brows: ?

That can make all the difference.

9mm might work on the beach in So CAl,,,,,,,,,,,, but IN Cornfed Iowa midwinter? NOt a chance unless your POA is the BHG.

Short of the assailant wearing body armor I would suspect if I'm using a 9mm ... and that is what I use in all 4 of my semi-auto pistols ... 2 shots center mass and one to the head will put even the plumpest cornfed down for the count. pistol shots are typically inside of 25 yards ... many instructors use the 7 yard or 21 foot line as the shoot don't shoot line ... in otherwords an assailant weilding a knife, gun, spear, blow gun or whatever you can imagine is going to be shot when they cross that threshhold(not to be confused with the threshhold of the entry door on your house). 1000 yard shots are great for entertainment but that is NOT what the 9mm is designed for. And speaking to that 1000 yard shot on the video ... the balloon was burst as a result of schrapnel from the bullet hitting to the side of the target. Go back and take a look at where the balloon was mounted and then look at the strike point of the bullet. Every firarm and its bullet has a specific use or maybe two ... one gun is NEVER the right gun for every situation ... However the gun you have is the best one for the situation ... and if one gun is all you own learn to use it to its full potential!

IMHO using any pistol beyond 25 yards is like using a wide screen tv to drive a 16 DWT nail .... not what it was made for... It might still work, but there's a better tool ...Cheers, Unc

IMHO using any pistol beyond 25 yards is like using a wide screen tv to drive a 16 DWT nail .... not what it was made for... It might still work, but there's a better tool ...Cheers, Unc

Bingo.

Even in a combat situation handguns should be used to fight your way to a rifle.

A whole lot goes into what is the " correct " gun or round for a given purpose.

My brother took a single 22 pistol shot to the chest. Flatlined twice in ER. He pulled thru after having a lung patched up, kidney removed, half of his pancreas cut out and to this day still has the lead lodged in his spine. 22 really bounces around your insides.

22 are prefered assassain closeup specials as through the ear and around and around they go makn' scrambled eggs outta the brain. Any gun can/will be bad but all mine are nice,or I wouldn't own'm-John

Edited by Hoser John

The cops here are the Military Police. They do the patrolling and arresting. While the Sheriff or Police Civil do the prosecuting.

The MP's carry .380's when they have a semi-auto. Some still carry very old revolvers in .38's.

It's interesting to watch the MP's make an arrest which is very seldom. When they do they don't open the

rear door and put their hand on the top of the prisoners head. Instead they open the trunk lid and without

saying a word the prisoner is expected to get in the trunk while handcuffed. If he refuses then he gets a billy

club straight into the gut and then several along the side of the head.

When they have a hostage taker they don't waste a lot of time talking. At the first opportunity their sniper

across the street puts a bullet into the head of the bad man. Then they show the entire scene on TV. Even

the head exploding.

Sure beats discovery channel!!

Here the 9mm is considered a strong caliber and only the Military has that for their pistols.

:tisk-tisk: sounds like a place to say"Yes ocifer whatever you say sir,may I PLEASE crawl in your hot cramped nasty filthy trunk please,with a BIG smile. A popped melon is NOT repairable...sic sic sic -John :idunno: