Nugget Shooter Forums

Micro gold?

rattler1960

Hi guys I'm new to the forum and new to prospecting. I really don't know what I'm doing but trying. I have classed my cons down to 50 mesh and ran them thru my blue bowl. Well, I don't know if its gold or not? I have what appears to be gold built up around the center but when I suck it out its black sand in the bottle! I don't know if the gold is so small that its just dust and settling on top of the black sand or what. I understand I really need to pan to separate the really small stuff but still I don't understand what I'm seeing in the bowl. I'm sending a pick and maybe someone can educate me on this, I don't really know anyone that prospects, so I'm at the mercy of this forum. I just kinda stumble into this partime hobby after rockhounding in the Mountains in North Alabama near the Georgia line. I know theirs gold in this area but it is small placers. Any help would be great. Hope someone can help and will be on the level with me. Here's the pick, Thanks in advance ! :D

post-27296-0-84700800-1406958132_thumb.j

Rattler, welcome to the forum and the world of gold prospecting!!

When you say north Alabama, is that where you're finding this "gold" and if so what part of Alabama in general are you finding this "gold"?

I ask this because I know the areas in Alabama that has gold and if you're finding gold in an area not known for gold, it's either not gold or you have found a gold deposit that hasn't been found to date or that has never been talked about or documented, which would be very rare because the old timers didn't miss much when it comes to finding gold deposits, they knew what to look for and found most if not all of the gold bearing areas, we're not talking about a specific stream, mountain etc. but gold bearing areas in general.

Have you found any gold that you know for sure is gold, so you know what gold looks like and how it acts in gravity separation in a pan, etc.?

Also get yourself a jeweler's loop so you can magnify the "gold", gold no matter how small will look like a huge gold nuggets under good magnification and any other minerals will usually look like regular rocks, sand, magnetite, pyrite, etc. and nothing like gold.

Also what I'm seeing in your photo is hard to determine if it's gold or not without a much closer shot of the fine "gold", but it looks more like small pyrite to me, one way to help determine if it's gold is to look at it in direct sunlight and then shade the "gold" from the sun, does it still look the same or does it look totally different?

Gold has a golden glow all of it's own, it will look the very much same in direct sunlight as it does in the shade, when you shaded it if the material turns gray, black or any other color than the color it was in direct sunlight it is not gold, also raw gold doesn't tend to sparkle or glitter as some other minerals will such as pyrite, mica, etc., it as mentioned has a glow of it's own, unless it's a polished piece of gold jewelry.

It's in the right place and that twinkle is hard to match. Don't waste your time trying to seperate any further as all you'll do is lose some. It's scrap quality as so small. Just wait till ya have a ounce or two and then refine it for a nice lil'ol'bar. Not hard to do and directions posted easily. All the time should be utilized to get more and I've raised 4 kids through school mining where they said there was none so lotza luck-John

Gold that fine can and does float on Black Sands. I would take a small sample and with a spy glass, try to mash it with a hammer or other. It it goes Crunch , It's not gold. If it flattens it is. Mercury is another way but I leave that up to you.

Thanks guys , I can't buy into the fact its gold. Its got to be pyrite. It and black sands was all that is left in the bowl maybe a little blonde sand. I run it over and over and it comes out the same every time. Its either so fine the sand is heavier and the micro gold bits are settling on top of it, if it is gold. Like I said when I suck it up all I can see with the naked eye is black sand and a few grains of blonde sand. I personally don't believe its gold, when I first saw it gathering up in the center yes my heart skipped a beat or two. I'm going back in a few weeks to the same area, I was only able to get a few sample buckets the first go around, cause it took so long to find the area I was told about. Lots of black sand and I mean lots. There has been gold found in this area so its not a new site. I'm going to work it down to the black sands and whatever the other is and save it up till I get someone to look at it and break my heart. I did Email a guy and he told me that he thought it was gold very small micro stuff that settles on top of the heavier sands cause he had seen it before and its a pain to separate because it floats around even with soap in the mix. Any ideas would be great I took a magnet and pulled a lot of the black sands out but the blonde grains stay in the mix they are pretty heavy, the guy did tell me that there's a place that buys that type sand because it contains platinum that's why its heavy. I haven't a clue what any of it is like I said I'm new to all this and just kinda stumbled into the hobby from doing something else, but its a neat little hobby I enjoy the mystery of whats in the bucket. There is 2 very small red looking garnets in the mix, thought that was cool. I'll keep yall updated! Thanks

Yeah I need a closer look since it's so small. I have blown it away from the center to try and separate it further and it ends right back at the center looking like the pic. It sure gets the heart pumping when you see it. I want it to be gold so bad but don't think it is. I'm going back to the same location, since I have found it and marked it on my GPS I can pretty much bee line straight to the site now without all the guess work searching. Their suppose to be a better spot up another branch head. Going to go in and get some samples as soon as the heat breaks gotta have some cooler weather. Thanks for the advice

Just take a xacto knife to it-if it cracks,crumbles or goes crunch it ain't gold. It will dent like lead or a nice clean cut . Good you don't think it's gold then send it to me and I'll MORE than gladly releave you of the burden :4chsmu1: John