Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Relichunter2

Question about the Tucson Gem Show

I am planning to go to the Tuscon Gem Show next year. I have never been to it but I hear it's one of the best, if not the best gem shows in the country. My primary interest is to see all the show participants who show gold and gold specimens. I was talking to a fella yesterday at my shop who is from the area. He states that the show is actually spread in different areas. If anyone on the form has been their, what is the best way to see this show? In particular those that have great gold specimens. Any information would help me plan this long weekend so I can get the most of it.

We went this year and it was terrific. What they mean about different sites is that there are quite a few places, shops and so on, that have their own "shows" throughout the month, at least that's what we understood. The T G&M show is at the convention center, is quite spread out and very well attended. The prices are as impressive as the displays. We had a very nice time in Tucson and will be back to visit- if you haven't seen it, be sure to make some time for the Desert Museum, they have some incredible specimens https://www.desertmuseum.org/ and a whole lot more to see. As a prospector, I got more out of the Museum, which is really a zoo/museum, because of the displays, habitats and info- don't get me wrong, the gem show was impressive, but it can really be done in a day. We're going back to the museum to spend more time. Book early(ish) the gem show is internationally popular.

Yep,

The show is sprawled out all over the place. You can do the shuttle buss thing which is convenient. I just try to go to the main event now. which is at the TCC for a few days, usually always including a weekend. Some of the most insane gold was there 2 years ago from Nevada and elsewhere. The main event will have all the display show cases and who takes 1st,2nd etc. Armed guards ,, the works..... Pack a lunch

I hear John B is one heck of a tour guide :inocent:

Adam, Dave thanks for you advice...sounds like a good time. I am looking forward to going and seeing all I can. I will only have about three to four days..so my primary thing would be to see the gold shown at the show.

Yes...John B is the master guide for the show. I went last year near the end so I could see the Main show at the convention center. That show was mind blowing, but I enjoyed all the side shows even more and they are where the best deals are. We may be going again next year.

You can purchase a show directory ahead of time to help with planning or pick one up during the show at most places for free.

Edited by El Dorado

Here`s another tip.....If you go to the main event at the TCC try to go on the last day of the show. Usually its a Sunday. Often times the vendors are trying to clear out their flats of minerals , and a good deal could be had...

just saying....

Im with Eldorado , Shopping the tents is always fun and better pricing is more abundant.....But hit the TCC if you want your mind blown!

EL, Dave, Adam

Do you recommend booking a room now ? and I like the idea of a directory...thanks again for the tips. So the main event / show is at the TCC...is this where most of the main mineral dealers are. So it seems 4 days would be long enough to see the show...2 days to roam and catch the sites side shows,and 1-2 day preferably last two days at the TCC. Regardless, it will be my first visit and I am sure I will see some nice minerals from around the world.

Edited by Relichunter2

Gotta go with the flow; forget the guides, befriend Mr John B. I was lucky enough to make one of his tours. Gotta ride in a Dodge, but if in the backseat, most can't see you. Have cigarettes and promise Pizza at the end of the day.

It is spread out 'all over town' seemed to me, but he knew what we were looking for, where as he knew where to go, where to park and got us into one place without paying (I still wake up at night shaking over that and feeling bad).

He's kind of an introvert, doesn't talk much, but very knowledgable if you get him to open up.

Shep

Prepare to be absolutely worn out if your going to spend 4 days there :olddude: You must try to book a room now but you also need to go the the TGMS website and they will have the TCC main event show dates then you can plan around that. You may have to book a room in Marana or one of the outskirt communities.

The main event is held inside the Tucson Convention Center. All the top mineral dealers of the world will have spaces reserved inside. Lots of big names in the industry will be there as well...

OK now I'm getting exited about the next show.......

EL......I know, I never been..and just talking about it and researching sites like the VUG....and links within the site....plus the TGMC site.... I can't wait till Feb....

I have been the last two years and there is no possible way I could do that show in one day. I'm not really that much into minerals but you have to remember there are fossils, meteorites, gold, sharks teeth, African art/primitives, items from all over the world, etc. You can see some of the largest crystals you can imagine.

I bought a big chunk of copper from Michigan.

Two of the best gold dealers were in some suites about 10 miles from the downtown shows. They only like to deal in the crystal forms of gold. (They rose their nose at my gold!)

The bulk dealers in many minerals were at some shows near the sports complex.

Go to a location, look at everything there, get a shuttle, read the directory and get off at the next location. There are about 3 different shuttles. When you leave you will still feel like you didn't see it all.

One of the best attended shows requires that you have a wholesale license. Bring it if you have it.

Mitchel

Wow..ten miles...they sure are spread apart. Well looks like three days will be enough time to get a good over view of the show..like you Mitchell Gold in all its forms I want to see , as that is my first priority. We are after all gold prospectors and miners :) What do you mean by nose in the air ? Were they not impressed by your pieces. I am sure it will be a learning experience for me, I am not looking to buy , but I am interested in books and how to identify crystalline gold. There are so many varieties, combos...and all that and it gets a bit confusing..so I will be on a look out for good publications on that subject. It's good to know about the shuttles...not sure if I want to rent a car in Tucson, rather just fly in and do the shuttle or taxi thing.

The 'high end' dealers were located at a 'dude ranch' sort of place. They were not very interested in my bullion types of specimens. It is just a market that wants to sell at great multiples to the gold value. They have them displayed as collector or show pieces.

Don't go expecting a 'gold show' because it is not. The best gold dealer I saw there was from Australia. They had some real gold and several replicas of very large nuggets.

Mitchel

We got a reservation at the KOA campground, very centrally located and has a shuttle stop. We are planning three full days of searching out deals......Feb 8-12.

Address:Address:transparent.pngtransparent.png

I live in Tucson and have found alot of gold dealers here year after year. They turn the entire hotel into a mall... well kind of.

Hotel Tucson City Center InnSuites Conference Suite Resort

Relocated from Relocated to Not true? Show all edits Not true?
Placement on map is approximate
475 North Granada Avenue
Tucson, AZ 85701
(520) 622-3000
Area served: -
Category:
Unverified listing
1 review

Mitchell,

Kristalle and John Betts Minerals are two of the ones I would like to see at the show. Collectors Edge out of Golden, Colorado is another...I think I will be busy in those three days....

Just be careful of the weather. February in Tucson is know for their blizzard conditions, I mean like......it can get down to 60 degrees and stuff :4chsmu1::head:

• Like 2

Adam thanks for the warning....I will bring my swim trunks.... :) 60 sounds great right now.....

Fred

Hi All

The Tucson Gem and Mineral Show is the largest show of it's type on the planet. Vendors, buyers, sellers and collectors from all corners of the globe descend on Tucson for this event. Some of the must sees are Peiter Hydelaars Global Treasure , Gympy Gold. Kyrstallie, Jungle gold buyer, and Colorado nuggets are usually at the Hotel Tucson prior to the main show at the Tucson convention center. Of them only Krystallie sets up at the TCC. There are several hotels that at least 2 weeks before the TCC show are set up as vendor display rooms. Each room is a mini museum for what ever rock, mineral, gem stone, meteorite ,crystal, fossils or associated items the vendor is selling ,mining or promoting. Some of the major hotels are The Tucson Hotel (formerly Inn Suites) River park inn, Ramada Express, Days Inn, Howard Johnsons Inn and a few others. There are also several huge multi acre tents that are set up with hundreds of vendors within at Tucson Electric Park and others along the I10 frontage. Most of them empty out as the TCC show begins. You can spend many days touring the shows hotels and tents and still not see it all. These shows is always enlightening even to folks like Shep who know it all :o). Happy Huntin John B.

• Like 1

Don't need to know it all, just know those that do! Glad to hear you're alive! ;-)

Shep

Shep......Henry Ford lived by those words..... very true statement!

Hi All

The Tucson Gem and Mineral Show is the largest show of it's type on the planet. Vendors, buyers, sellers and collectors from all corners of the globe descend on Tucson for this event. Some of the must sees are Peiter Hydelaars Global Treasure , Gympy Gold. Kyrstallie, Jungle gold buyer, and Colorado nuggets are usually at the Hotel Tucson prior to the main show at the Tucson convention center. Of them only Krystallie sets up at the TCC. There are several hotels that at least 2 weeks before the TCC show are set up as vendor display rooms. Each room is a mini museum for what ever rock, mineral, gem stone, meteorite ,crystal, fossils or associated items the vendor is selling ,mining or promoting. Some of the major hotels are The Tucson Hotel (formerly Inn Suites) River park inn, Ramada Express, Days Inn, Howard Johnsons Inn and a few others. There are also several huge multi acre tents that are set up with hundreds of vendors within at Tucson Electric Park and others along the I10 frontage. Most of them empty out as the TCC show begins. You can spend many days touring the shows hotels and tents and still not see it all. These shows is always enlightening even to folks like Shep who know it all :o). Happy Huntin John B.

It's alive!

I'm glad you are still around John B.

I hope all is well with you and yours.

Rattlesnake Jim

Roswell, NM