Nugget Shooter Forums

Marissa's Meteorite

Howdy, Nuggetshooters.

I am very pleased to share with you all the story of a young woman's quest to realize a long-time dream: finding her first meteorite. What makes her story any different than that of countless other meteorite hunters to-be? Rather than try to explain it myself I will let Marissa speak for herself.

"I have a genetic disease called Spinal Muscular Atrophy type 2. The signal that travels down the spine and to the muscles telling them to move is gone and doesn't work. The only reason I have some function is due to a short back-up signal but it is short-lived and fades away. I have never walked on my own and when I was 4, I was in a wheelchair,
permanently... ...I do not tell you this to make you feel bad or sorry for me. I'm not sorry. I'm very lucky. I love life and just want to enjoy it as much as possible. This disease made me who I am and helped me see how precious life is and I'm very thankful for that... ...I would love for this to be my first meteorite hunt but it may be my only hunt and I'd cherish every minute of the hunt."

Several very generous members of our meteorite community have banded together help Marissa complete this quest, but they cannot do it alone. Achieving this goal will require the broad support of our global group of like-minded souls, all infatuated with rocks from space.

To read Marissa's full story and see what you can do to help, please visit:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/marissa-s-meteorite

Thank very much for your help, together we can make this dream come true!
Mike
IMCA #3963

Hi, Mike;

Do you know where Marisa will be hunting meteorites? What method she will use to hunt? Will you be directly involved in her search?

Who and what is CSR? Is all the money donated going directly to Marisa? What happens to the money if you donot make the 5000 goal?

So many questions

fred

I noticed that she really wants to use her wheelchair.....Cant imagine what kind or area besides a dry lake that may support that objective...even still......

I hope she finds one , that would be wonderful for her :thumbsupanim

Edited by adam

apparently Mike is busy...so I will have faith in my fellow humans and do the right thing...

I think we would all like to know when and where this will happen in case we can make it...if that is something marisa will allow.

fred

According to the funding raising website Mike posted a link for, she will be coming out in May 2015.

"Marissa is determined to get out there and find her first meteorite. She will be taking several courses in college in early 2015 and once she finishes her exams in April, we are going to send her on a round-trip flight from Ohio to Nevada for a much needed, well-deserved break in May!"

Yes, I am hoping for more detail when it is appropriate.

This is certainly a worthy cause. Contributing can be done with little effort and any amount will help her.

The measure of true charity is helping someone that is not a friend or relative...I know there are many generous folks on this forum and others...

fred

Hi, Mike;

Do you know where Marisa will be hunting meteorites? What method she will use to hunt? Will you be directly involved in her search?

Who and what is CSR? Is all the money donated going directly to Marisa? What happens to the money if you donot make the 5000 goal?

So many questions

fred

Sorry, Fred, I was out of town on vacation.

I am "the guide", I'll be taking Marissa to one of the dry lakes here in the southwest that is notorious for producing meteorites. She's had her chair in sand before, so it should do find on a firm playa. She'll be hunting by eye with a magnet stick.

The hunt will be end of May, 2015. Others have asked if they can come, too, but I'm saying no, that this hunt is for Marissa only, and more hunters just means less ground for her to search and less meteorites for her to potentially find.

CSR is Club Space Rock, a forum started by Geoff Notkin.

All the money raised goes directly to Marissa. Any funds raised above what she needs to cover trip expenses for herself are being donated to a charity of her choosing (outlined on the crowd funding page). If the funding goal isn't met we'll keep trying until it is. If the goal can't be reached then she still gets the funds and if it's not enough for the trip I think she'll donate them all to charity. But it's already at $2k so I think it's going to happen.

Edited by Mikestang

Thanks, Mike...hope the vacation was fun.

I see your point about having a crowd hunting , I didnot think about that.

Hopefully, may will be dry for her, although it may be a wet winter...best wishes to her.

On another point, Jeff should make his site read-only for nonmembers, in my opinion. I could not even read the "about us" page to determine if I wanted to join another forum.

fred

Well Friends, Marrisa's fund-raiser is doing well. But she ain't there yet!!! There is still ample opportunity to show the generosity that lives in your hearts.

If you are shy or endorse the Biblical Injunction to give secretly;NO PROBLEM! You can forgo having your name displayed.

Many folks giving just a little will make a light load for all givers and help Marissa on her quest.

For those that desire a token of appreciation from Marrisa there are several objects being offered, depending on your gift, of course.

fred

We're on the final stretch only a few days left in this campaign! We reached the funding goal yesterday, but I want everyone to keep in mind that the goal was a minimum amount we estimated Marissa would need. If we can surpass that goal we can ensure that no corners will need to be cut and she can be fully geared up and ready to hunt. Thank you all for your support thus far, this trip is going to be an epic experience for her!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/marissa-s-meteorite

Mike,

That's awesome what you guys are doing for Marissa. She will be mentored by the best.

Dave

And the campaign is over! I don't think there are enough thank yous for everyone that donated money, perks, or helped spread the word. We raised $5,786! That's quite a budget for Marissa to work with, I have a feeling that when all is said and done there will still be a substantial donation left for her to give to charity.

• 3 months later...

Hey, Fred. Marissa is doing great. The hunt will be at the end of May. We got her flights book, the hotel reserved, the van lined up, and we're just buttoning up the last of her gear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...