Nugget Shooter Forums

GPX Power Cords...

Well my third cord is malfunctioning ....appears after many many hours of use...and stretching a conductor is loose and is creating a short. I have gone through three cords now and at 50 bucks a pop I was wondering if I can repair them. Any advice would be appreciated...

RH2 ... Yes you can repair the cords ... I have done a few over the years ... a couple multiple times. If it is not a wire pulled out of the connector you need to find the bulge in the cable where the break is. Carefully slice the cord and locate the broken wire(s) ... slide a small piece of shrink tube on one of broken ends and then solder the wires together after you have twisted them tightly together. Slide the shrink tube over the repair and shrink with heat from the solder iron or a careful application of heat from a small butane torch (that is what I use). Stuff the wire bundle back in the curly cord cover and wrap the slit with a good quality vinyl electrician's tape. If at the connector ... the two times I have experienced that kind of a break I just take the connector apart and resolder the wire to the connector. Whe reassembling be sure to grab plenty of cable for the clamp to grab ... simple fix. OR ... as I have sated in another post earlier today go wireless with a Doc's Screamer Battery/Amp setup. Talk to Bill ... I'm sure he has them.

Mike F

49- These connectors come apart just like a trailer plug. Be careful to note the wire color to pin arrangement. A mistake on reassembly could set off a nuclear holocaust or worse.damage your detector. Double check for proper continuity before using the cord. After re-soldering the wires to the pins, pot the connections with silicon. My repaired cords out last the new ones.

If you ever fly in an airplane , always carry a detector cord with you. If you need to jump out, hold onto the cord as they always hang up on something.

Thanks Klunker for the sound advice....it appears flying in planes may be hazardous to ones health by the look of things these days. The Coiltek curly cord while abandoning plane is a must to keep in carry on bags. Will do on the repair advice.

49 ... sorry I did get back here sooner ... Klunker covered it well though ... exactlay what i do on repairs. May I reiterate that you need to be careful to put the connector back together just as it came apart ... wire in the wrong place will kill your detector in the worst case scenario or just plain won't make any electrical connection ... either way you'll have to redo it so pay attention ... better yet mark the pieces with a magic marker so they go back together correctly. Good luck.

Mike

• 2 months later...

IMHO nothing comes closet to the audio quality of the GPX battery/amp. Also I don't like to add weight to the control box.

The best leads made today are by an Aussieā€¦www.vtecksolutions.com. He also repairs leads.

I have mine custom made to length so I can eliminate the cable strain with my custom strain relief mods, two years of pro level use with no failure.

The older ML control boxes have built in strain relief's, few folks know to use them.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Archived