Nugget Shooter Forums

Our Summer Travels

Gaius

The last 6 weeks or so Mary and I have been on travel. We have been rain, snow, hailed on, fogged out and rained on again; the temperature went from 700 to 260 to 1110; Williston, ND was a train wreck; visited Wall Drugs, Yellowstone & Teddy Roosevelt National Parks, back to Deadwood, Leadville, & Western Michigan UP (they got 28 feet of snow this year); found out Iron Mountain, UP city water pipes froze and they are 9 feet underground, the last of the ice on Lake Superior melted mid June, & some of the UP ground was still to frozen to dig; two weeks with the in-laws, couple of days visit my step son's family in Milwaukee; found a good part of this country is long boring! rolling hills & I-70 starting at the I-70/I-15 in UT to just outside of western Denver is the most incredibly scenic highway better than Beartooth highway coming out of eastern Yellowstone (UT was the best) & I need a new camera with panoramic lens. We traveled about 6000 miles and come next year we'll do it again.

ps: The Leadville national mining museum was worth the visit.

Happy Happy !! :D

Forgot one - Corn Palace, SD.

For a number of years our trips were geared for family support in the UP, now that we are both retired every summer we get up and just go.

Nice to see your trip. I just completed a southern 'revisit' from Los Angeles to Jacksonville on the I-10, down to Miami and back by way of Crater of Diamonds and the I-40. It was about 6800 miles with some nice hunting for diamonds, beach and meteorites along the way. It only rained once (other than Miami) and it was a good trip.

A trip before this we had done northern Nevada and northern California.

I want to do your trip one of these days on the I-70 as I have not been to Yellowstone. My mom grew up near Williston, ND and it has been many years since I have seen that.

Mitchel

Last Time I was at Jellystone, I got yelled at by the kind lady for walking on the Grass looking for fish in the Stream. I'll never go to a State or National park Ever Again.

Yellowstone outside temperature (28 degrees) at about 10,000 feet, the time seen is PST not Mountain Time, mid June 2014. Happy Happy!! inside at 68 degrees.

post-26236-0-63805000-1405830802_thumb.j

post-26236-0-45260600-1405830971_thumb.j

Edited by Gaius

Love them long adventures--the good,the bad and the ugly makes for a interesting trip. Yellowstone evaded me last time as snow/wind/hail in July was toooo much and had to make it to Douglas City for mining with dozens a friends,next time hopefully as the Sawtooths also calln'. Thanx much for great tag a long-John