Nugget Shooter Forums

spiked road warning

The Forest service has issued a warning in the Happy Jack area that roads are being repeatedly spiked so CAUTION as the tires you save may well be your own. They are asking you to call 928-527-3511-Flagstaff office I believe?? Anyhow take care as yet another assault begins sic sic sic :2mo5pow: John

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/arizona/2014/07/16/12news-spike-traps/12756943/

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/news-events/?cid=STELPRD3808434

stelprd3808431.jpg

"At least five pieces of these spiked rebar placed on a forest road were responsible for slashing at least eight tires over the weekend. It appears the rebar is being placed in areas frequented by OHV’s.

“The end of the rebar has been flattened and sharpened to a point and the exposed point has been painted to blend in with the road surface,” said Mogollon Rim District Ranger Linda Wadleigh. “The objects pose a serious threat to everyone, and that doesn’t just mean people recreating on a motorcycle or OHV, it includes people walking, hiking and even wildlife. We are taking this very seriously and asking the public to keep an eye out and report suspicious activity in the area.”

Anyone with information regarding who may be placing these dangerous rebar should contact Forest Service law enforcement at 928-527-3511."

Edited by weaver hillbille

Around here some OHV divers can be more then bad guys for sure. About been ran over by them ramping over the Unknown hill more then a few times. This is not the way to stop it.

Edited by garimpo
vulgar language

Ive had bikers meet me head on out in the desert. Its funny to see how big thier eyes get when they come blasting around a corner and see the front of my truck.

Had one guy dump it right in front of me as he came over the top of a hill pretty fast.

Oh well, gotta share the roads :)
Tom H.

Then they ( off roaders ) just need to stay out of my area of Happy Jack.......stay on the main trail or that's what you get!! Its because of these atv`ers creating their own roads that areas get shut down!! Stay Out !!

Then they ( off roaders ) just need to stay out of my area of Happy Jack.......stay on the main trail or that's what you get!! Its because of these atv`ers creating their own roads that areas get shut down!! Stay Out !!

Thats it....detector is packed...im heading to Happy Jack! :)

Tom H.

Perspective is a funny thing. NO way of knowing you were going downhill.

Were you cutting your motor to shake the tail of some highgraders?

Or you don't like the added gyroscopic effect of it whilst perfecting your "trials" riding skills through the boulders?

How much bigger a rear sprocket can you install to help your granny gear?

Perspective is a funny thing. NO way of knowing you were going downhill.

Were you cutting your motor to shake the tail of some highgraders?

Or you don't like the added gyroscopic effect of it whilst perfecting your "trials" riding skills through the boulders?

How much bigger a rear sprocket can you install to help your granny gear?

That's my buddy Harold doing the video and riding. He's a 73 yr. young geezer who can ride a dirt bike with the best of them. He's retired and lives out of an RV over by Stanton. He's been busting open a lot of the old mining pack trails for me in the Wagoner/Minnehaha area so I can get in and do some prospecting when time permits. We usually run 13/51 sprockets on our dirt bikes. Reason for killing your motor on the technical stuff is if you dump your bike, your motor ain't winding out because your throttle is jammed between a rock and a hard place, or the bike is wound out in gear and goes sailing off the side of the mountain without you on it. Just easier to coast where you can coast. That way if you dump your bike, it's just a silent 230 lb. pile of steel/aluminum/plastic that you have to pickup, or pull up the side of the hill.

Harold has a Rokon, but prefers to ride his dirt bike as it's a bit faster and he can cover more ground in a shorter time. I keep telling him he needs to get a gold detector, as he's busting trails in historically gold producing areas that haven't seen any activity for many years. He says he don't have the patience for gold detecting and would rather ride. No biggie… I'll get him out there one of these days. :brows:

:brows: Those cottonwoods at the end look mighty familiar... YOu can fix a flat in the field?

If you look close you can see some tailing piles on some of the hillsides. There was a lot of activity in that area many years ago. Most of the lode miners took their ore to the stamp mills in Minehaha or to the Lehman mill, or even to Oro Belle depending on where their claims were. There's a ton of old mining trails in that entire 10 mile square area that still need to be busted… we'll get to them eventually. Many of them are barely visible, so a guy really has to do his research on where all the old mines and placers were to find the best way get to them. A lot of it just has to do with instinct and being able to read the terrain of where a mule or horse would have likely gone back in the olden days.

And yes… I can fix a flat in the field. When riding my dirt bike I always carry CO2, extra tube and patch kit. Had to use them a few times over the years. The Rokon tires are tubeless, so I carry a plug kit, CO2, and a small air compressor as a back up. Luckily haven't had a flat on the Rokons yet. :yesss:

Blackbird:
Could you tell me what size bike hes riding? Sure seems to crawl along nicly.
Im looking for a thumper to haul my butt around with about 30 lbs of equipment.

Im 165lbs So, about 200lbs total on the bike.

Right now ive got a 89 RM 250 that is just too much for me to hang on to. Need to sell it to some kid that wasnts to break bones and such.

Would a 200 or 230 thumper work? Im lost when it comes to 4strokes.

Tks

Tom H.

Could you tell me what size bike hes riding? Sure seems to crawl along nicly.

KLX 300. They're sweet little bikes and you can pick them up pretty cheap. Don't be getting any ideas now, I may have to start spiking my own trails. :nono:

WTG azbb Ive been using this technique for years. (bikes)your not going there with a quad.
Ive followed the original mule and deer trails on bikes from Rich Hill all the way to Prescott.
and in many other areas too. a light bike is best. I like small trials bikes and back-pack
or saddle bags the best.
great clearance and still a low center of gravity. you dont want to hyside them on a hillside.
That was a rough ride in your video, most are like a small freeway without all the boulders.
here is another tip when you got rounded boulders that high up Id be hunting some of those hillsides and ridges.
that place looks like it was lifted up through an old placer. :D good luck.
AzNuggetBob

here is another tip when you got rounded boulders that high up Id be hunting some of those hillsides and ridges.

that place looks like it was lifted up through an old placer.

You read my mind. :brows:

JMO but those spikes look like cheap tree stand deer hunting spikes to me, maybe all the atv's buzzin around are upsetting some deer hunters? AzNuggetBob