Nugget Shooter Forums

Can You Please Help Me ID This Rock?

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and was hoping for some help in ID'ing these rocks. I got these from the tailing pile outside an old gold/chromium/silver mine near Folsom. I have an MXT Pro that registered a VDI 0 / 10-20% Iron probability. My handheld keeps hitting on the rust colored (I assume the rest is pyrite?) and the blueish color rock. Magnet doesn't seem to react to any of it. Thanks in advance!

IMGP8505_zpsf07c6807.jpgIMGP8519_zps2725e572.jpg

looks sort of like some rhyolite or a fine grained blue granite.

or silver gold chromium ore :idunno:

Edited by weaver hillbille

In your magnified photo the slender portion at nine o'clock could be chalcopyrite, or pyrite, but the entire rock is not, but it could be schist

I would crush some of it and see if there's any free gold to be had, it's definitely mineralized and that a good sign for possible gold content.

In your magnified photo the slender portion at nine o'clock could be chalcopyrite, or pyrite, but the entire rock is not, but it could be schist

I would crush some of it and see if there's any free gold to be had, it's definitely mineralized and that a good sign for possible gold content.

Thanks - I little experience crushing and panning rock. I crushed some to a fine powder but it looks like a bunch of crushed pyrite (or something shiny) pieces. My understanding is any gold would just flatten out but not break into small/fine pieces?