Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

notime

Whites GMT Or Gold Bug 2 In AZ Soil

Does anyone here have both or have used both the Whites GMT and Gold Bug 2?

Need input from those who have used and are familiar with both detectors. And tested them both to see which one is better at locating different nugget sizes at different depths.

Looking to buy two detectors, one for myself and one for the wife, but want the best one for gold, they're both good but maybe one is a little better. Learning curve is NOT an issue as I understand that the Gold Bug 2 has a steeper learning curve... No biggy!

Would I go wrong if I purchased one of each... or should I purchase two of the same... but which one???

I'm wondering if the Gold Bug 2 will hit on gold of any size, no matter the depth, just as well as the Whites GMT.

Understand that the gold bug 2 is good for low to mid range mineralization but the Whites GMT works well in low to high mineralization, which could make the GMT a better choice for Arizona.

The Whites GMT is supposed to hit small suface gold as well as deeper larger gold where as the Gold Bug 2 is only good for smaller surface gold. Is that true?

I would get one of each, the whites is easy to use and the gold bug 2 is super sensative. You wont have issues running them side by side because the frequency difference and if you or your wife prefers the auto ground balancing the whites will be more of a turn ot on and go detector.

I have owned both, and currently use a GB2. If your beginning, I would start off with the GMT, learn it, then progress to the GB2. Get to know your settings, ground conditions, sounds of the detector, and your environment. Once you have have got a pretty good hold on that, move to more advanced detectors.

Dave

I had to make the same decision....got a GMT , now to learn

I have used both the GMT and the GB2 extensively in Arizona. Both are great machines, but neither one has any sensitivity or depth advantages over the other - period. They are basically the same machine, both designed by Dave Johnson - who also designed the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. I speak from the experience of using all three Johnson machines for over 2,000-hours each, and not company hype.

I would look into buying the new Goldbug Pro http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/fisher-goldbug-pro-metal-detector.htm for yourself and your wife, as I hear nothing but good things about it from fellow prospectors in AZ and California. The Whites machine is overpriced and overhyped. My other choice would be the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, which I use at our school in Arizona http://ArizonaGoldAdventures.com because it is good in hot ground, finds small pickers at depth, has a lifetime warranty, and is the easiest to use and teach.

I have found just as much gold with the Tesoro, as I have with Dave's other machines.

I haven't left home in at least 10 years without my duo-Tesoro lobo Super Traq and my ol'trusty crusty GB2. Tried and true under any/all conditions in half a dozen states. COILS sizes are extremely important as conditions on /in the ground change,so do my coils and sure eases them toils. Coveth that Tesoro lifetime warranity as like no other,100% rebuild and new coils on a 27 year old unit FREE a few years back-John

Better is relative to conditions and skill. Any of the machines mentioned above are good.

I don't personally like the GMT; I simply don't get along well with that model. That is not to say it isn't as good as any other...

I loved my GB2 back when I had one and found it very easy to use-just back off the sensitivity a little until you know the gb2.

I just got a gb pro-I am very impressed. However, I haven't got to the gold fields with it yet.

I loved my Tesoro ST...one of the easiest and versitile machines ever-with a lifetime warrenty!

There is also the Xterra 705...a very fine machine

fred

I used a GMT one weekend and it was very good , not sure about all the settings on it but the next week my GBP came in and if you want a machine that has 2 knobs and your up and running get it , the AT pro gold seemed to pick up pincy stuff but with 4 or so more adjudments it was more time cunsuming to learn and did not care for the sound .

No experience with the Gb2 but most guys find stuff with it and seems to be #1 choice for miro gold flakes .

My advice is to go with the Goldbug. I have a new GMT and is DOES NOT have any pinpointing capabilities! Couldn't believe it until I contacted Whites and they confirmed there is no pinpointing circuit on the GMT. Geeesh......that is like buying an $800 hunting rifle and it not having any sights......lol

Sadly for some of us who started out using the BFO's,TR's, and the "pure" Analog Domain

we will need to update to the shift to the Digital Domain. We are referring to "chips"

replacing "transformers." This update has been occurring over the last ten years or so.

Currently, manufacturer's are still make detectors that are mostly analog, or some digital, and

some have moved forward into the digital domain... Analog "do-all's" did fair. Today

there are Digital detectors that can truly do-all.

The future is still bright for the "VLF's"... Hey my first contact was with a Mine detector

SCR-625 while at ROTC "boot-camp" in the summer of 1953 at 'Camp Carson' Colorado... Times

have really changed for me over my lifetime... The Pulse Inductions are expensive,but can find

a flyspeck bit of gold at great depth... However "location" is critical.

Many choices... But one thing is clear: Many metallogenetic/metalliferius areas that have

free-milling gold (and electrum) values are being withdrawn from mineral entry... tailgate jim

I love it when I mention my first BFO-Tandy Craft Heathkit make at home kit-and folks never even heard of it. My trusty ol' Compass TR units sure worked good in reverse disc and to id ferrous vs gold. Amazing ride since 62 and the sky is the limit with microprocessors,just like the NEW prices :yikes: which makes no sense as cheaper to build.......I want a underground flouroscope to watch a screen and see whatz down there before I dig :4chsmu1: gettn' lazy in my old age :old: John

Gosh Hoser... The Heathkits were great. The heydays of using reverse discrimination long gone. Today is the dawn

of microprocessors and you are on top of it and will ride it out to the fullest... Good by GMT and the days of

the Gold Bug-2 are limited... I'm impressed... jim

I own and use both the GMT and the GB2 ... Love them ... The GB2 is for dinks and the GMT, honestly, I use more for coins and relics ... The GB2 is great for IDing the tiny gold bits once you train your mind to recognize them ... They are very distinct and you can tell the dif between birdshot and dink once you get it down... Both of these detectors are about tuning your ears and mind to what they are tellling kyou ... Most detectors are that way but comparing these two that is especially true! ...Cheers, Unc