Nugget Shooter Forums

Claim Maintenance Fee Increase

SLNugget

darn government under this administration is sure doing their best to kill mining. BLM is just as bad as the rest! This makes a 160 acre claim fee $24,800 a year! Guess they must find the funding to keep supporting the new police state swat teams.......I guess the $4.7BILLION collected last year was not enough

Edited by El Dorado

This seems a bit costly I wonder what the criteria and the analysis of the data required by the criteria is that justifies the cost increases and just how are these claim maintenance fee used by BLM that show the fees are appropriately use as originally intended?

The "Small Miner's Waiver" still is in effect for claim holders with less than 10 claims ...

I don't understand the hidden costs you must be referring to when the quote below(from the link)seems to suggest a much lower figure.

This makes a 160 acre claim fee $24,800 a year!

"Pay the 2015 "Maintenance Fee" of $155 per claim, mill site, and/or tunnel site, on or before September 1, 2014. Placer claims over 20 acres must pay an additional $155 per 20 acres or portion thereof."

The "Small Miner's Waiver" still is in effect for claim holders with less than 10 claims ...

Must learn "hoop jumpin, I guess. I can't find that smilie :barnie:

"MAINTENANCE FEE PAYMENT WAIVER CERTIFICATION (aka SMALL MINERS EXEMPTION)--If a claimant owns 10 or fewer active claims/sites on federal lands in the United States, he may qualify for a maintenance fee payment waiver. Waivers must be filed or postmarked (if mailed) on or before September 1 for the subsequent assessment year. There is no fee to file a waiver. A waiver must be filed prior to each year a waiver of the fees is desired."

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/az/pdfs.Par.5345.File.dat/3830-002%20Waiver.pdf

darn government under this administration is sure doing their best to kill mining. BLM is just as bad as the rest! This makes a 160 acre claim fee $24,800 a year! Guess they must find the funding to keep supporting the new police state swat teams.......I guess the $4.7BILLION collected last year was not enough

I don't understand the hidden costs you must be referring to when the quote below(from the link)seems to suggest a much lower figure.

"Pay the 2015 "Maintenance Fee" of $155 per claim, mill site, and/or tunnel site, on or before September 1, 2014. Placer claims over 20 acres must pay an additional $155 per 20 acres or portion thereof."

I come up with $1240 for a 160 acre claim, 160 divided by 20=8 X $155= $1240, still too dang much, especially in California where most claims needs to be dredged to make any profit if you're lucky!!

yeah, my math sucks.......Skip you are right, but its is still way to much. They say increase is driven by inflation. Back in 2004 the fee was $125 per claim now its up by 20% to $155 per 20 acres. But our government perpetuates the lie that inflation does not exist.... What a farce.

I am sure glad I can use the Waiver. But, this always reminds me of the time I was in the BLM office and a guy went up to the counter (last year) and he was whining about having to have over a check for about $30,000 for his fees. He said it was a big chunk of his profit and he had no choice because his claims provided him and his family 100% of their income.......

As far as I can see, the billions they have taken have not improved their service one bit. The counter people tell me they are at least 3-4 months behind in claim paperwork and cannot hire more help because they don't have the $$$$. But, they do have plenty of money for the militarization of their armed agents, or as they are now called swat teams.

In my opinion, if you're not out working your claim for the minimal improvement of $100 then you really should not be hoarding that ground from others who might do so ... Hoping these higher fees will chase off the bigelows and tuckers, etc., who've caused us all so many problems and increased expense in west central AZ ... I know if I don't maintain my roads and trails it's very hard to get into the claim to do anything ... Rugged country, especially after a few days of monsoons like we're having now ... Cheers, Unc

Around Quincy there is a geologist that speculates in claims. He will claim just about any open ground especially if it has flowing water. He files a new location notice with the county, then advertises the claim for sale. If it does not sell, he will jus re-file with the county at 91 days thereby avoiding the BLM fees. He holds numerous claims and never deals with the BLM until the claim sells.....these fees will not discourage the paper claim sellers. Only hurt claim owners.

Why in the name of god almighty would anyone in their right mind pay a &^%$#@ rental fee?? NEVER could understand as then you still must make other filings also so you gain nuttn'???John

Edited by Hoser John

yeah, my math sucks.......Skip you are right, but its is still way to much. They say increase is driven by inflation. Back in 2004 the fee was $125 per claim now its up by 20% to $155 per 20 acres. But our government perpetuates the lie that inflation does not exist.... What a farce.

The increases are based on the Consumer Price Index, CPI. Not inflation.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2014-06-30/pdf/2014-15259.pdf

How many of you guys were prospecting/mining in 1993 when Public Law 103-66, aka Deficit Reduction Act of 1993, was signed into law authorizing maintenance and location fees and subsequent fee increases every 5 years or more often if the Secretary of Interior deems it necessary? Since this happened in the infancy of the internet I assume there were not many if any small scale mining forums at the time. Who if anyone was looking out for miners rights at that time?

The real Western Mining Council,since 1945 now gone,was but nobody else stood up and fought it. Just like in 87 when CDFG tried to kill dredging. We fought for years to get equal rights and EIR but PLOP/cancer from the klamath killed all that work and many $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ down the toilet-John

t PLOP/cancer from the klamath killed all that work and many $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ down the toilet-John

John, I don't fault your shorthand, just my short brain :idunno: . Does PLOP refer to http://www.plp1.org/

? and McCracken?