Nugget Shooter Forums

Yesterday I took Calgeologist out to my claim for a few pointers on his new to him GPX5000. I think he had already memorized the owners manual and read everything he could from a few forums. That made it easy as there was not much more for me to do. I had him hook up an external speaker and walked with him for advice on various targets and sounds. He chose to use the Commander 12x15 Mono, a bit of an overkill but he did not have any smaller mono coils in his arsenal. After awhile I let him go on his own and started my own hunt. An hour later he came up to me and asked for some help, by then I had switched to my new GB Pro after beating the skunk away with the GPX. He told me he had gotten a target out of his dig hole and asked me if I could help end his frustration and point it out for him. He pointed to the spot he figured it was and bingo the GB said he was correct. I got a mild signal and had the target in my scoop. It gave a nice signal on the front sensitive portion of his monster coil and when I spotted his target after a few cuts I was totally blown away... I mean it was unbelievable. He found a small birdshot a few inches deep. He was hunting in sharp timing, slow motion and I think quiet with the gain set higher than factory setting. Can't remember his gain setting for sure. Just amazing the sensitivity of that coil...... and he did not even have it in Fine Gold timing!

If some one told me they could find birdshot with that coil I would be pulling on my extra high Bshort boots! I also think nuggets are in serious trouble when he gets a bit more experience under his belt.

• Like 1

You mean those little tiny ones I find with the gold bug II all the time? I don't think my SD could do that even if it had that coil...Its a testament to Minelab coils though...They rock!

If you can find birdshot like that a nugget will be in your poke shortly. good work.

One of the old timers was going to give me some pointers and was looking for something small to use as a target. I told him I had some bird shot that we could use. He asked me where I got the bird shot and I told him I found it. We just sat by the fire and talked after that, he told me I didn't need anymore instruction I needed to get off my butt and get out swinging.

I was using a 5000 with that 12x15. The hardest thing for me is just getting the target found after I get it out of the hole.

The Commander 12X15 was my primary hunting coil for the 5000 for a while, it found me a lot of gold, large and small. Its a great all around coil. The drawback is its weight. Lugging it around all day did put a strain on the arm. When I do find a patch, I still put it on, and it finds gold and meteorites the other coils missed. That sure is some small shot.... If you can find that, you can find the gold.....

Dave

Very nice. I have a 12 x 15 but have hardly used it due to the weight. Good to see it is sensitive to the little stuff.

This past April I found a 1/3 g nugget using a Commander 12x15 at Gold Basin. Doesn't everyone find such a nugget after a Goose Egg?

https://wspa.shutterfly.com/pictures/29#29

And Fred is right I was using a Hip Stick.

Mitchel

Edited by mn90403

Hey Fred,

I have found birdshot-sized gold with my old, army-green, SD 2100 with the Joey coil. Even sub-gram Franconia

chondrites. No sweat! This ain't your dad's SD!

Ben

After reading some of the responses and seeing just how sensitive bigger commander coils are, I am pretty sure as to why they are not working for as well for me. It has to be my hearing, I know it's real bad and I also have a chronic case of tinnitus. I wear good headphones and use a signal amp but it just does not do it. I do hear the sweet signals when using the smaller coils like my Sadie so those coils must make the hit a harder/stronger sound. I have tried wearing my hearing aids under headphones, but the pressure of them against my ear hurts...

Steve, external speakers ( I like two) and an amplifier might help...also have you run through the audio tones to find the best tone for your hearing? The built-in amp on the 5000 will run one speaker but you need an amplifier for the dual speaker set-up ( in my opinion). I have helped a few people with hearing problems by letting them use these...Sony mdr-j10 (available on Amazon.com)Type headphones...use them without your hearing aids...for about 20 bucks you can give them a try. Be sure to get a 1/4 inch stereo to stereo adaptor at radio shack...

fred

Edited by fredmason

El D. Have you tried "ear buds". Bill recommended some from Bose (sp) in a post awhile back that work really well if you have no wind.

I can hear much better with them than head phones. Plus no ear pain or sweat. I also think I could hear a rattler better.

I really like mine.

Patrick .....

• Like 1

Hey Fred ... I have a GPX 5000 and use two external speakers mounted to the shoulders of my harness ... they work as well for me as speakers except when it is very windy ... usually anything over about 10 mph wind the headphones(Sunray Pro Gold) go on. I do not use an additional amp with the externals.

Mike

It should of been gold then El Dorado would of been even more impressed. Good job!

I would waste a lot less shells if my birdshot was made out of gold!

Edited by heybeerman

Patrick and all, been using these for about six years and will never go back to headphones. Just like you say everything is better in every way.

2011-05-07001.jpg

Earphones.jpg

I have those made in OKC Patrick. The part that fits in your ear is molded for each person's ear since their a different shape inside the ear.

You can't get any better hearing than these.

They make the mold and then after it sets up they install the speakers inside.

I'm like El D with the hearing loss and these ear phones put the sound right into your head. Wind has less effect and you can still hear sounds around you like snakes. In fact I think you can hear them better.

They will make them any COLOR you want.

The company is: All American owned by Keith McKellips. Phone is; 405-677-2700.....www.allamericanmold.com

Their pricy but well worth it.