Nugget Shooter Forums

2300 test VS GPX 5000

That vid is a testament to knowing your detector. Both detectors basically gave the same signal that varied from the individual thresholds. Headphones and good hearing are definitely a must for hitting those little ones.

First off about the piece of gold in his second test-I personally have found them smaller than that with my 5000 at about 2-3+ inches-and who runs their 5000 at a gain of nine-if you are no wonder your missing gold -who's the guy doing the testing ? someone for minelab :tisk-tisk:

I need to test one out myself-Hey minelab-even though Im not a minelab dealer or have any special interest and I didnt put in a order to sell or buy one-will you send me one to do a real test on :idunno: -dont be afraid-Im not going to candy coat I'll tell it how it is :4chsmu1: Heres hoping that this beeper is truely what the few testers there are so far are saying about it :head: The proof is in the pudding and unfortunatelly I havent seen enough for me to put my 5000 down yet :nutty: Oh and about the way the coil is secured-it looks like a problem waiting to happen doesnt look to tough-looks like if I happened to hit it hard enough it would snap right off and then I would really be screwed since I wouldnt have the option to just stick another lower rod and coil on it-Just my 2 centavos worth :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C... :200: PS-Come on fisher hurry up with the new gold PI :yesss:

Edited by Mike C...

I am unsure what Nenad was doing - he ran the SDC at a gain of 1, recommended is 2 and I've been running mine at 4 (5 is the top).

Then he runs the 5000 at a gain of 9, recommended is 11, I usually run mine around 14.

I have no idea what his ground is like or why he did that.

The problem with comparing what you find with someone else's results is that experienced prospectors know that not all half gram nuggets are created equal. I can show you lacy, porous gold half gram in size that your 5000 wont pick up even if its touching your coil.

The shape and density of gold has a huge effect on your detector's ability to detect a nugget, even if you have several nuggets of the same weight.

Your 5000 has an unquestionable advantage on gold over about a pennyweight or a couple grams in size.

The SDC 2300 has an advantage on the smaller stuff.

Yup, That's it. The SDC 2300 will pick up small and porous nuggets the 5000 (and any other PI) will miss. Is it the equal of a GB2 on mild ground? no, but its close, and on heavy mineralized or hot rock laden ground it will out do the GB2 because of the problems with the ground that a PI can ignore.

On the other hand, if you are going for bigger nuggets down deep, the 5000 has a distinct advantage and for big nuggets deep, the 8 inch coil of the SDC is a handicap.

Chris I have to agree with you on everything you stated here. and I was shocked at the settings too. didn't make sense to me? AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

I don't own a 5000 but I do know I dig bird shot all the time here. Anything from #8 to #6. My GP Extreme matched with the 8" commander coil is sweet on small lead shot. But I don't know anything about the 5000, other than it is a fine gold catching rig. So I thought it was wierd that it wasn't banging on either target.