Nugget Shooter Forums

CALLING ALL SNAKE LOVERS

Seems a NSW Northern Rivers sheep farmer was puzzled about the disappearance of some sheep on his farm in Yamba. After a few weeks the farmer decided to put up an electric fence.
About a week later, this is what he found!

snake1.jpg

Now, I know we've all heard of people being eaten by snakes and I bet most of us have said, 'If a snake tried to eat me, I'd blah, blah, blah & get away.' Well, this is a python and they're extremely aggressive and have a few teeth that they use to hold their prey while they wrap around them and then constrict.
Could you get away if this one bit you and held on with it's few teeth?'

(Note: The wires are 10 inches apart.. that makes a mouth-span of 2 feet).

Snake2.jpg

Two guys here were on the creek fishing one day when one of them was leaning against a corner fence post when the snake nailed him. He started screaming and his buddy put the barrel of his shotgun in the snakes mouth and blew his head off.

Another guy here was alone and the snake had his whole calf in his mouth and since the snakes head was in the front of the guy he started trying to poke the snakes eyes out with his thumbs. The snake turned him loose.

That's exactly why I carry a good easy opening knife in my shirt pocket. Easy to reach with either hand.

Garimpo-

G; Please complete the fallowing questionnaire

I, Garimpo, am:

1. a very brave man

2. a very crazy man

3. finding nuggets the size of footballs

It must be one of the above for you to keep detecting out there.

# 2 pretty much covers it. Ever see a sad crazy man. The ones I've seen are always happy.

What scares me more is the Bushmasters. My last snake strike was really a strong hit high up on my leg/protectors. I'm thinking it was a Bushmaster. Their aggressive and hit hard.

I've seen three of them since I've been here. My first one was in a dirt road and I was walking toward him to see how much of him was in the weeds in the ditch. Didn't take long for an answer as he charged right at me, all 12-15 feet of him. I only had about 50 feet to go to get into the back of the Toyota and he dang near caught me.

When he got close to the front of the truck he veered off back into the ditch. Don't know if it was the heat off of the motor or the manure trail he was crawling through.

Klunker if you want to hear a good true story ask El D about the morning he went for a stroll through a mountain lions breakfast table that still had cow bones with fresh meat on them. Worst part was he was sober.

# 2 pretty much covers it. Ever see a sad crazy man. The ones I've seen are always happy.

What scares me more is the Bushmasters. My last snake strike was really a strong hit high up on my leg/protectors. I'm thinking it was a Bushmaster. Their aggressive and hit hard.

I've seen three of them since I've been here. My first one was in a dirt road and I was walking toward him to see how much of him was in the weeds in the ditch. Didn't take long for an answer as he charged right at me, all 12-15 feet of him. I only had about 50 feet to go to get into the back of the Toyota and he dang near caught me.

When he got close to the front of the truck he veered off back into the ditch. Don't know if it was the heat off of the motor or the manure trail he was crawling through.

Klunker if you want to hear a good true story ask El D about the morning he went for a stroll through a mountain lions breakfast table that still had cow bones with fresh meat on them. Worst part was he was sober.

Don,

The Bushmaster is the longest viper in the world, but they're not the heaviest, that honor goes to the Gaboon viper and the Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake, I have only seen a Bushmaster and Gaboon vipers in zoos, but I have seen many Eastern Diamondbacks and one of them was the biggest snake I have ever seen, they say that the world record Diamondback is only 8' long, but I have seen a dead one that was taken up the entire lane of a two way highway which is wider than 8', there are rumors of some people having their leg broken when getting struck hard by a large Eastern Diamondback and I can believe it after seeing the dead snake I saw, it was bigger around than my thigh!!

Are you saying that Steve was sober or the lion? :idunno:

That evening setting by the side of the highway eating steak on a stick and losing count of the beers two out of the three of us weren't sober!! Guess the lion was keeping better company somewhere else.

Don,

The Bushmaster is the longest viper in the world, but they're not the heaviest, that honor goes to the Gaboon viper and the Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake, I have only seen a Bushmaster and Gaboon vipers in zoos, but I have seen many Eastern Diamondbacks and one of them was the biggest snake I have ever seen, they say that the world record Diamondback is only 8' long, but I have seen a dead one that was taken up the entire lane of a two way highway which is wider than 8', there are rumors of some people having their leg broken when getting struck hard by a large Eastern Diamondback and I can believe it after seeing the dead snake I saw, it was bigger around than my thigh!!

Are you saying that Steve was sober or the lion? :idunno:

One day when I was still a dumb teenager, (too easy klunker), a friend came into the town of Kinta, Ok and stopped in front of the "spit and whittle" club and raise the trunk lid. I walked over and saw the biggest Diamondback ever. The guy had seen it crossing the dirt road outside of town and stopped and killed it by smashing it's head with rocks. The head was a bloody mess.

So being 6' 1" I reached in and got the snake by the rattlers, a bunch of them and was holding him above my head as far as I could reach and his head was almost touching the ground. By this time a circle of old timers and had formed a group around the dummy with the snake.

Then all of a sudden the snake raised his head about a foot off the ground. That was one of the times when I learned how to let the feet do their thing!! The circle just faded away in a hurry!!

In the mid-'70's I was hired to develop an island off the Georgia coast into a think tank retreat for corporations ... It still is that, and it's called Little St. Simons Island ... My first visit there lasted about two weeks and I had the run of the island to myself, including use of horses ... There was an old man named Buddy who had been born on the island, but had a lifelong career as a commercial airline pilot ... Buddy would come over from the mainland from time to time and one day asked if I would like a full horseback tour of the island ... It was and is a fascinating place with old remnants of slave camps and old houses from the 1600' and 1700' ... It also is infested with snakes and alligators ... Buddy and I rode up to the far end of the island ... Suddenly, Buddy looked down in the chest high brush and motioned me to ride over and look ... There on the sand was coiled the biggest darn rattler I'd ever seen ... Buddy had loaned me his colt .22 revolver for the day and said he thought I ought to shoot the snake ... my first shot hit it mid body and the snake came unglued, climbing up over the brush and striking the air ... My second shot got it in the top of the head, as did the next two shots ... Buddy said that'll make a nice skin for your wall ... So I hopped down off the horse and waded into the brush to fetch the snake out ... It was as big around as my calf ... I chopped its head off and stuffed it into a bag I had behind the saddle .... Then I remounted ... Buddy then suggested I look back in the brush, saying the this time of year rattlers often are in pairs ... So I walked the horse back over to where I'd retrieved the first snake and peered down into the brush ... It took my eyes a second to focus then I suddenly realized I was looking at another rattler bigger than the first, and worst of all, my bootprint was about 18" from its head!!! So I shot this one and my first shot nailed it right in the top of the head ... It didn't uncoil or anything, just died right there .... So found a piece of drift wood and, after a very careful examination of the brush I drug the snake out and cut its head off ... The head was bigger than my open hand ... When we got back to the lodge the little one was measured at 6.5 feet ... The second one was 7.75 feet!!! Below is a picture of what's left of the "little one" that's hanging on my office wall ... Our old mama cat ate about 18" of the skin years ago ... The big one was stolen by an acquaintance who spent some time up on my ranch ... Buddy told me that they had killed them up to 14' there in the old days ... Eastern Diamond backs you don't want to mess with!!! Cheers, Unc

post-9-0-20024400-1404419906_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-52611900-1404420933_thumb.jpg

Edited by Uncle Ron