Nugget Shooter Forums

Son of a beach !

adam

So,

I sold some gold on eBay. Buyer pays, and I ship it out priority & insured in the amount of the bullions purchase price. ( just like I always do)

Package never makes it to the door of the buyer. Tracked progress shows it was in the truck and out for delivery. Final word was that " delivery status not updated" package is lost....

No problem right ! I`m insured !

I give the guy his money back for the purchase price of 13 grams of gold.

Domestic Claim filed with USPS....

30 days later USPS sends me a $ 20.80 check and says the " maximum indemnity for negotiable items( currency or bullion ) is 15.00 " .....

So after it was all said and done, they paid me 15 bucks plus the 5.80 I paid for the priority mail.

So I`m out the $500.00 and the missing Gold, and the extra I paid for the insurance :grr01:

Point is to all you out there, USPS does not insure bullion, Unless you ship it registered mail I guess. :nutty:

Edited by adam

So sorry to hear about your misfortune

I do disagree with the fact that they are calling your natural gold nuggets bullion.... they are certainly not bullion and I would appeal that phoney decision.

Yup, I only use registered mail....... USPS is really a sorry shipper, they charge way to much for insurance for stuff they have 100% control over. Tells me they do not trust their own system........

You need to ship it as you did, but signature required ... That's what a couple professional gold buyers told me and how I have done it with no problem ...Betcha there's a USPS driver celebrating their gold discovery in their back yard! ... Bummer ... Cheers, Unc

Sorry that you got burned butttt Karma is a son of a beach and the gold gods wanted it back :idunno: Try looking over by the I17 and ? who knows :4chsmu1: I use USPS most of the time and even mailed gold using them and never had any problems with it getting lost :4chsmu1: Mike C... :200:

Dang Adam, I'm sorry to hear of this misfortune, I would fight the USPS, why didn't they tell you about the coverage policy at the time of you purchasing the insurance???

Hopefully the "lost" package maybe found and delivered at a later date, my mail carrier is famous for letting a letter/item slip down under her seat, but she usually find it and delivers it 2 weeks later!!

Adam,

Read some of this and see if you can find out anything that will help you recover your monetary lost.

https://www.usps.com/ship/insurance-and-extra-services.htm

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm

You only have 30 days to appeal the USPS' decision of your claim, even if you can't win at least file the appeal now, if you lose on the appeal, you have another 30 days to file for another appeal for final review and decision to the Consumer Advocate!!

Mike ...No worries....I will find more :head: But this time it will be in Scottsdale.. Remember the urban prospector..Cleaning concrete expansion joints :D I will just bag & tag until I find a good crevice...

Sorry guys but if you think a sig confirmation guarantees your insured package`s replacement value you`d be miss- informed. Unless you ship registered mail, USPS will not insure bullion .. period !

I wont be paying for insurance any longer, unless its registered mail. That's just giving them extra money for nothing..

Fed-Ex wont at all

UPS wont touch it

Thanks AU seeker, I already planned to appeal ....So we will see

Edited by adam

Adam be sure to specify that the item you shipped was not "...maximum indemnity for negotiable items( currency or bullion )..." but instead was mineral specimens, after all raw gold is not bullion or currency until it is refined, up to that point it is a mineral!!!

So sorry to hear about your misfortune

I do disagree with the fact that they are calling your natural gold nuggets bullion.... they are certainly not bullion and I would appeal that phoney decision.

Yup, I only use registered mail....... USPS is really a sorry shipper, they charge way to much for insurance for stuff they have 100% control over. Tells me they do not trust their own system........

Dangit Steve......They combine the words currency and bullion, yet I cant pay for a 12 pack with gold.....Maybe I will use the "Mineral specimen" like auseeker says....Gold is a comodity and has value according to the stock market right?....This is so messed up ,and when I pay bills with gold I sell, I cant have these hick-ups......

Edited by adam

When I use to send mine, I always said it was Museum Specimens, And had pictures to prove it. Grubstake

Thanks for the tip Grubby. :thumbsupanim

Good luck getting your money back Adam. Postal service is getting worse and worse these days. :2mo5pow:

Your welcome, I think its the best way to send gold, Who is to say, how much they are really worth, As a Museum Specimen, they are worth what ever you claim they are, They are one of a kind. Grubstake

Registered with return receipt is the way to send it. The package is sealed with paper tape and postal stamps on all tape. It is in a locked bag at all times and it must be signed for. With priority Express, the max insurance is $5000. With Registered, you can insure for the full amount. Pretty much the same price except for the added cost of the return receipt.

I know, I just shipped some this last week Registered.

:2mo5pow: they ain't called OOPS fer nuttn' man-no not never as I sell gold face to face and cash only in a bank safe deposit box room where all are safe -John ---4 bullet holes in the face was one LL of a wakeup on sales safety and hauling around to shows

Edited by Hoser John

IMHO, face to face gold transaction are the most dangerous way to dispose of gold, especially from a Craigslist add,

Adam.... In no way are natural gold nuggets considered to be bullion. In order for gold to be considered bullion, it must be in bar or coin that had been assayed and have a purity of .995 for bars and .900 for coins. Calling it ore, museum specimens or any other name does not matter, it is not bullion. I think you have a very good chance of winning an appeal.

Here is a common description:

Bullion refers to precious metals in bulk form which are regularly traded on commodity markets. The value of bullion is typically determined by the value of its precious metals content, which is defined by its purity and mass.

The specifications of bullion are often regulated by market bodies or legislation. In the European Union, the minimum purity for gold bullion, which is treated as investment gold with regards to taxation, is 99.5% for gold bullion bars and 90% for bullion coins.[2]

Adam,

Read some of this and see if you can find out anything that will help you recover your monetary lost.

https://www.usps.com/ship/insurance-and-extra-services.htm

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm

You only have 30 days to appeal the USPS' decision of your claim, even if you can't win at least file the appeal now, if you lose on the appeal, you have another 30 days to file for another appeal for final review and decision to the Consumer Advocate!!

Thanks auseeker !

Crap Adam...srry to hear about that.
Glad you posted the problem because you helped a lot of

other people out that might sell gold.

It does sound like you have a good case, but are probably

going to have to fight with them over it. :(
Really hope it goes smooth and they give you your money back.
Tom H.

FACE TO FACE IN THE BANK SAFE DEPOSIT BOX ROOM WITH CAMERAS EVERYWHERE AND THEY MUST SIGN IN WITH DRIVERS LICENSE ID-now what in gods name could be safer-NOWHERE-John

• 1 month later...