Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Bug 2 Coil Question

notime

After I get rid of my vequero the wife said I could get a Gold Bug 2, but have a question on which coil option to go with, a 6.5 in coil or the 10 in coil.

Will the 10 in coil get the deeper gold Or will the 6.5 in coil get them? Is ther an after market coil for the gold bug 2 that is better than the 10 in or 6.5 coil?

Any help would be appreciated.

The 10" elliptical coil would go deeper and cover the search area faster, the 6.5" elliptical coil would be shallower in depth, but much better in areas of heavy trash being able to hit single targets more accurately, whereas the bigger coils could possibly be hitting several pieces of trash simultaneously, the smaller coil also would work better in areas of heavy vegetation, enabling you to get under and in between plants.

Fisher also offers a 14" elliptical coil for the Goldbug 2.

I don't know for sure if any aftermarket coils are available for the Goldbug 2, I haven't seen any, but I haven't done any research on aftermarket coils for the GB2 since I don own one.

I've never done the test and i have the smaller 6" coil and the 10" coil but have continually used the 6" one.

This is a chart for the gold bug 2 coils depth ranges.....

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/field-tests/GoldBug2FieldTest.pdf

This is my favorite vlf. My dad and I have done several tests with all 3 coils. The little 6 inch coils is amazing on fly speck nuggets. So sensitive to the small gold it's crazy. But it only picked up a 2.6 gram nugget at 5 to 6 inches deep. The stock coil is good but here where we go it is a little noisy. Good depth on the 2.6 Grammer and pretty good on the smaller stuff. The 14 inch coil has decent depth and is pretty noisy. Surprisingly not as good as we hoped. To be honest it didn't get that 2 gram nugget down much deeper than the 10 inch coil. Now we tried it on a solid 1.4 ounce nugget and it picked it up WAY deeper than the 10 inch. It is just way heavy. All and all it is the perfect machine. Just my 2 cents.

I have the GB2 with all three coils, and I love it. If you get the 6.5" coil, there is an adapter made by a gentleman named (I believe) Lucky Joe here on the forums that keeps you from ruining your coil cable at the coil (you'll see what I mean if you get the small coil). I'm pretty sure he still makes them. I called and spoke with him about one over a month ago, he said he was busy and would have to call me back with details, and I'm still waiting for that call. But if they work the way I've been told they are well worth the $15 he charges for them.

6.5/10" are mandatory in my truck,one tough old detector and my finds posted repeatedly have spoken for themselves for many years. OLD Fisher company was rock solid construction-John

I have the GB2 with all three coils, and I love it. If you get the 6.5" coil, there is an adapter made by a gentleman named (I believe) Lucky Joe here on the forums that keeps you from ruining your coil cable at the coil (you'll see what I mean if you get the small coil). I'm pretty sure he still makes them. I called and spoke with him about one over a month ago, he said he was busy and would have to call me back with details, and I'm still waiting for that call. But if they work the way I've been told they are well worth the $15 he charges for them.

Yup, it is a fantastic product

post-1252-0-08737200-1404051673_thumb.jp