Nugget Shooter Forums

Deep gold settings ?? Whats yours

Well I have had my Minelab 4500 for 8 months now, and I am very happy with the success I have had with it. I have had my trials of learning the settings and such and feel at this moment I have it pretty much dialed in. BUT....for some reason.....I am still a bit confused on the Deep setting on front panel. Why does it change the sound? For some reason I can't get used to the change...so I run it in Normal mode, General, Fixed, and Mono. Than I adjust my back panel settings to get a smooth threshold. I know their are way to many variables ..from ground conditions, EMI, time of day...and all that, I am able to change my settings as the day or needs be. But...whats the secret to the deep setting? On days I want to just scan very slow and go deep as possible....I have this feeling I am not getting the full potential this machine is capable of. When I do hunt deep, I use my NF 20" round....

Edited by Relichunter2

The mode switch only changes the settings to what the factory thinks you need for that mode. You can put your switch in "deep" and change your settings to the same as "normal" and the performance will be the same. I think labeling the modes has more to do with sales than any thing (boy am I in trouble now) but presets can be handy.

I never use the "inverted" signal selection as it has taken me a long time to learn minute nuances in the sound as it is. Adding another set of sounds would just further confuse my already addled brain. Take a little time every time you go out and fiddle with your settings-especially when you find a target. I'd bet you have nearly reached the detectors potential so put more focus on your potential. BEST OF LUCK TO YA!

Great advice Klunker !! I would rate my confidence 95% ....and been doing well with it....but you know how the mind wants 110% lol...I do like getting into that ZONE....hearing is key...be in tone to hear the slightest whisper..love those whispers.....

R2 for once old klunker is right on. Your using a good coil (wish I had one like that).

Just this AM I went beeping to a hit hard dozed patch and put my Coiltek Joey mono on the GPX 4000. My partner was using my GP 3500 with the Joey DD.

On the 4000 I was using deep on the front and on the back side my gain was at full bore, 15. Not often I can get away with that gain setting so high but today not EMI's and the minerals were not heavy but I still used tracking. Got a real good steady hum on the threshold.

Dug some really deep dozer blade bits, even some of those were just a whisper.

Like klunker I NEVER start digging just after getting a signal. ALWAYS mess (fiddle) with the settings.

For pics look above at the "cleaning out a nugget patch" forum.

Good advice for sure....next time I get one of those wooo weee :head: sounds...I can tinker with the toggles and buttons to see what setting brings out the best sound for my ears.....I dabbled in the deep front panel section today....but no luck in the old patch....my hunting partner did find a 2 grain piece with a vlf.... :) .

Edited by Relichunter2

Good advice for sure....next time I get one of those wooo weee :head: sounds...I can tinker with the toggles and buttons to see what setting brings out the best sound for my ears.....I dabbled in the deep front panel section today....but no luck in the old patch....my hunting partner did find a 2 grain piece with a vlf.... :) .

Hey Relic:

99% of the time I find gold its a WEEWOO sound.

One time I got a WOO WEE...I dug down 18 inches and was about to throw in the towel thinking it was garbage.

Well, got it out of the hole and lo and behold it was a nice flat piece of gold with maganatite all over it!

That spun me around and got me thinking and re-evaluating sounds :)

Keep at it!

Tom H.

Oh btw....fine gold...gain 9..stab 8...GPX 5G...9x14 coiltek...everything else just to fit your hearing.

Area im in is VERY HOT...so I have to run kind of dumbed out.

post-25308-0-43444700-1403836199_thumb.j

Edited by TomH

Wow very nice nugget Tom. AzNuggetBob

Tom, very nice nugget and you got it pretty deep....I know about almost throwing in the towel...like you I am glad I did not in a few instances. Love those woooo weees .....another thing I have done to squeeze out a few more crumbs from my patches is....set my motion to very slow.....gain as high as the ground could let me and to smooth out threshold, I had instances I took my stab. to 4-6, my usual is around 7-8...than I go slow and low, each of my complete swings from left to right may take 8-10 seconds.

• Like 1

Fred, Mike.......yes it's extremely slow.....I only do this when I am in a patch that has been....KILLED ...total void of sound...you would be amazed how many crumbs I picked up. I only go this slow with the larger mono coils... 16-20" . Just the other day I picked up a 2 gram 14 inches down with my 20" all my other coils missed it after I have been over it many of times...but I had to really , really slow it down and allow the signal to bounce back from the target. With a first pass and faster swing you would have missed it. After about 2-3 hours of such a slow swing...you look back and see you have not covered much..but rest assured...I do get the feel.." okey i am done with this patch..for now that is.... I say if it keeps on giving, keep on squeezing all the yellow you can!

Edited by Relichunter2

Your method is used by some very impressive gold hunters in Australia...literally barely moving the coil while hunting for large deep gold...I don't think I could do it-I would have to know there was a 10 ozer under the next eternal swing...

fred