Nugget Shooter Forums

Tip of the day........Minelab owners....

So I am out detecting the other day and as usual I bring along an extra coil just in case I feel like I need to make a change. I find myself changeing coils on a regular bases lately..why? Because I at times get these gut feelings....like..move from here and go over there thing..and usually when I listen to that inner voice.... :nutty: nutty as it sounds..I find a nugg.This day was different ...I was running my usual 14 mono round coiltek..and just felt like it was a bit off..threshold off, way to many false signals and such..thought maybe temperature, wind, ground, EMI, what not. So I changed it to my 8x6 Sadie coil....reset the settings on back panel and off i go.... :grr01: Dang thing again...noisey, and i pain in the arse.....I could not figure it, i set my settings in the morning and I would only change my settings on the back..as I run mono coils 99.9 % of the time....I was about to call it a day...than I though I should look at my front settings...... :arrowheadsmiley::arrowheadsmiley::arrowheadsmiley: ..it appears...that as I was detcting the Coil RX toggle went from mono to DD...felt like duhhhh....dude..all that frustration....was only a switch away. Sooooo...tip of the day....most of the time it;'s Not the detector..more like pilot error....twigs, branches..what not..at times grab those toggles and make a switch...so that's my tip of the day....Check your settings ....

Edited by 49goldrushtradingpost
  • Like 2

It's been awhile, but would think switch in DD would be quieter??????

That's not bad; been times when I switched to cancel in pinpointing w/ loud target and forgot to switch back or accidently bumped switch into cancel. Makes you wonder how long you've wandered around aimlessly ;-)

Shep

You're learning grasshopper! Always check detectors op before making a walk in, check batt, frt and back panels and check through out the day. Crawling thru the brush pushing detector forward or walking thru the brush can do funny things.

Edited by shep
  • Like 2

I have also noticed this extra noise on the 5k, running DD mode with a mono coil. On the older models its didnt seem noticable to me, or make much difference. Strange stuff...

Shep, yes I have done that to....toggle went to cancel and after a half hour..no signals......lol, in cancel no wonder. Yes, it's been almost 9 months of regular use...many hours...great machine. Wes....yup, I totally noticed it going to a much smoother threshold after I put it in mono again. it could have been a combination of wind, afternoon heat EMI...not sure. All I know is after I noticed it was in dd setting I flipped it back to mono and wham...back in business.....and no gold that day.

Yeah, I remember a morning that I thought I had the best running detector ever. I was able to run at high gain & boost audio. Took an hour to realize the front panel switch was in cancel........

Not to be redundant ... But ... Yep ... We have all done it if we have detected for more than a week or so in our lifetime ... easy to do when traveling through very brushy areas so as others have said already ... if the machine is too quiet take a look! Or better yet take a look periodically anyway and especially at the beginning of the day or anytime you set the machine down.