Nugget Shooter Forums

Question on SDC 2300

SDC 2300  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on this newest offering from Minelab

• Love it and plan to get one
    • Waiting to hear more from others using it
    • I don't need a detector to find "small stuff" Already have one...
    • Costs too much for a mid-range detector with no coil options
    • I am not interested at all

OK folks it seems that interest on the new Minelab SDC 2300 is sort of lack luster at best right now and even customer inquiries are lacking which leads me to make this post and poll. WHY I have to ask myself since Minelab has always offered us top of the line equipment. I am curious about what you good folks think so please chime in and vote in the poll OK? Your votes will be private so let's hear what ya think....

I mean this is a great sounding unit and so compact it seem it would be a great back country gold getter, right? Easily packed and works with "C" batteries so do not have to worry about wires etc. Field tests are showing this new detector works as Minelab says and seems there would be a long line of folks wanting this unit.

Here's my take on the matter…

Strike 1… in my observations (at least here in the US) the majority of the gold detectorists are older type gentlemen who are not going to hike or ride a dirt bike 5 miles into a remote spot to detect. Thus negating the need for a compact easy to carry detector. They're going to drive to a spot in their jeep, SUV, or qwad, pull out their detector, strap on all the battery packs, amps, headphones, tool belt, camelbak, hip sticks, etc. and walk a few hundred yards and detect.

Strike 2… many who already own a PI, whether a Minelab or other brand, for the most part already supplement that detector with a VLF such as the Goldbug, GMT, or something similar that's designed to go after the small stuff. Given that we here in the US don't have the extremely mineralized ground that other areas of the world encounter, most detectorists can get away with using a VLF on the majority of their prospecting areas. If not, then many (from what I've read) will change to smaller coils on their primary PI if they feel the need to go after the small stuff in highly mineralized ground.

Strike 3... I need to master what I have (TDI Pro and GMT) before I even consider thinking about upgrading to the latest and greatest. I'm sure many are in the same boat whether running a GPX5000, Goldbug, or what have you. In addition to that… personally I'm just not all that hip on the design of the 2300, and If looking for a compact PI, I would probably go (even though it's heavier) with the ATX just because of the ability to change coils and the fact I like the design and robustness (military grade) a lot better than I do the Minelab.

:m2c:

• Like 1

Bill ... Like AABB #3 I have a number of detectors that I use regularily ... my primary is a PI GPX5000, then there is a stable of VLF's White's MXT, White's V-sat, Fisher GB pro and Minelab xterra705. I really don't see the need for another detector unless I was to get rid of a couple ... then maybe I would reconsider. But for me ... right now ... I have all that I need ... and all that my pee brain can handle at once! :) The 2300 is just redundant to my GPX5000 armed with the round 8" Commander mono or the little 10" eliptical DD for the small stuff. JMHO of course ... I'm waiting to see what ML does to replace the GPX5000 ... that unit it over 4 years old now ... seems it is over due for a new model ... again Just My Humble Opinion.

The other possibility is that it's intro to the USA is a bit late for the season just ended ... the majority of AZ is currently and will continue to be too hot for most to do much serious detecting. I'm one of those nuts that will be out there this summer once I get back from fishing in NH about July 15th. I have to admit though it will probably bein the higher elevations until after the monsoons ... assuming we have some this year ... and then come October I will be back into the Black Canyon and Congress/LSD areas for the winter season.

Mike F

• Like 1

Grubby ... I think it comes with rechargable 1.2 volt equivalent batteries and a charger for same ... so unless one is without a source to recharge the c-cell issue shouldn't be much of a problem. I think it takes 4 c-cells if you go that route ... that is about the same cost/weight wise as my whites MXT and V-sat that use 8 AA batteries ... so I don't see that as much of a problem other than having to have another size battery kicking around if you already have a detector that takes AA batteries. And then my Fisher GB Pro uses a 9 volt battery ... so I always have different size batteries available. I buy in quantity and always quality Eveready or Duracell Alkaline batteries at Costco ... that is the least expensive and longest lasting on a consistant basis that I have found. JMHO of course.

Mike F

• Like 1

I guess the lack of coils and the battery system seems strange. Just my thoughts I guess.

• Like 1

" I'm waiting to see what ML does to replace the GPX5000 ... that unit it over 4 years old now ... seems it is over due for a new model "...

I would agree with Mike on this one...although it may appeal to new comers..with some dough in their wallet, and people who travel because it's compact. I don't doubt its ability to find small gold. But for some of us with ML 4500 or ML 5000 we are pretty satisfied with what we have, put on a Sadie and it's capable to get small gold as it is to a skilled operator. If you have a VLF as a side kick, you got it covered here. I am waiting for a replacement for my ML 4500 ..and its not going to be a 5000....put my name on the list when it comes out.

• Like 1

IMO-The 2300 might be a bust just like the 4800-its priced to high and from the small gold Ive seen found with it so far-Im not impressed :nutty: Heck a old SDturdthousand could have found what Ive seen so so far :zzzzz: Mike C... :200:

• Like 1

I don't know what the actual retail price is but if I was asked by a nubbie looking for a great starter machine I would suggest they try one. I have enough expensive toys for now or i would likely get one. There are plenty of hot-rock infested places that that unit would shine over a vlf...

fred

• Like 1

If it pulls targets as deep as a Atx or more it should sell well but for almost double the money its compactness is what you get is what I see the winner .

The C batteries im fine with .

• Like 1

My 4500 regularly finds dinks the size of a small pinhead, plus I've got my old GB2 and GMT to bat clean up ... I thought there was talk that the number designation of the ML models was close to their price ... I thought that $2,300 might be ok for a "mid-range" ... In my book, $3,800 ain't mid-range, it's expensive for what you get ... I do like the compactness and if I were flying around the country prospecting it looks like it would be easy to travel with ... I do get frustrated sometimes with all my beeper stuff having to be hauled, but when ol' Baboo 4500 sings out over a nice one, that frustration is forgotten ... To sum it up, the price is quite a bit too high and the limitation on coils make the 2300 a no-go for yours' truly .. Cheers, Unc

• Like 2

As Grubby said, I don't use C cells, have AA,AAA, and 9v everywhere. I have my trusty 4500 and GB2 and 3030. Had an issue last fall and looking for backup deep gold detector. At 4K, too much for a backup, think I'll wait for Fishers entry- hint hint???????

• Like 1