Nugget Shooter Forums

Museum Quality Crystalline Titanium Specimens-Help Needed Please

Hi gang, I need your help and expertise. I recently was given some nice specimens because someone knows I love rocks and minerals. The person that owned these was an old rock hound; like myself. I was blown away when I saw these specimens. I had the specimens analyzed by a spectometer at my local coin shop. They came back as 99% Titanium.

My question is; how in the world did these form? I believe these specimens are from Nevada? I would appreciate if you would share more details; what exactly do I have; as in details about the Titanium. Also, total weight is a little over 1 oz. I know titanium has very little value; but should I insure these pieces or are they a dime a dozen? I've never seen anything like these... Please see pictures below.

Thanks for being the best mineral helpers!

IMG_5456.jpg

IMG_5455.jpg

IMG_5454.jpg

IMG_5453.jpg

Righteous specimens,Smithsonian site is where ya want to go as definately RARE. A deposit of that quality is fantastically rich and indeed worth a fortune. Any chance of finding out "where" would DEFINATELY be worth your time as much needed nowadays-John

Anyone know of someone qualified to examine these specimens? I'm pretty sure they are not lab grown. They look just like crystalline gold. Where's the Geologists at lol? Yes, I have seen gold like this as well; but, not titanium. I wish I knew more details about these specimens.

Those are awesome, they look natural to me, but I haven't been able to find any other specimens like them searching the internet, I did find some photos of some that were microscopic but could of been man made, even if the ones you have are man made they are still unique as they aren't any more like them it seems.

Where are you located, state/city?

Maybe someone can recommend a knowledgeable person in your area to take a look at your specimens.

I live in Las Vegas, NV. I read that titanium is generally found with another mineral. I honestly don't believe that these specimens are man made. There are very fine wire structures that go across some of them. If there are any geologists on this site I welcome their observations and comments.

Not noted as a Nobel Metal, it still has some crazy cool qualities. As I stated those crystals look somewhat like Horn Silver. We all know that silver blues exposed to the Sun or right kinds of light. Never seen Titanium like that . Most is mined as Oxides and converted back to the Metallic state. Yet Titanium is Not so prone to Oxide????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_metal