Nugget Shooter Forums

Got to borrow a Vaquero (from Reg) to check out and it had a 4" coil and the stock coil with it, I went to a well detected old park I have been frequenting to give it a workout... there is a grass area about 30x30 adjacent to the tennis courts that gets used for spectating the many, many matches held there and it's original to the 1906 development of the park itself, but it is uber trashy, I mean multiple hits with every swing of the coil, but I believed it could hold some old coins beneath all the trash and went over it slowly and carefully with my Silver uMax and the stock 8" coil got a few coins too but not much and nothing old... so to test the Vaq I went over it with the 4" coil and had it supertuned and Disc well up over tabs to the 3 o'clock position, I only got through about 30% of the area and dug up more coins than I had found in my previous detecting with my Silver.. I'm inclined to credit the coil more so than the Vaq as nothing was very deep with the Nickel at 5"+ being the deepest and why it even hit is beyond me as I had them Disc'd out, thought sure it would turn out silver but alas no, 1972 : ( But I will be buying a 4" for my Silver for sure! Still dug a few odd tabs and pulled the wire loop out of the same hole as a penny... (pic with gold toe ring is what I recovered from this area)

I'm guessing 80% of all the MDers who visit this park have checked out the area described above yet only a couple of the coins I recovered were "fresh" just too much trash to wade through I'm guessing.

Also found my largest pocket spill ever in another area of the park $1.61, made my day!

Now to find some Silver...

Trash to treasure ratio shown for several hunts too...

post-27207-0-05644400-1403281870_thumb.j

post-27207-0-86805400-1403281870_thumb.j

WTG! I don't have that much energy anymore. That would equal 2 weeks for me...haha!

Edited by Rimshot

Yea, I'm with Rimshot (That Name Gives me the Creeps) on this one. Well At least this time of year. Good finds and better times coming.

Congratulations, you're a credit to your community!!!

Save those pictures of the trash to show to anyone that may complain or to perspective property owners as too how much trash you're removing from the environment!!!

I got a feeling that you getting silver maybe soon!

RAE thanks for being a good example of what a good detector operator can do by cleaning up trash and disposing of it properly.

Also thanks for the great pics. I believe your thinking is right on about the smaller coil. Good luck.

Small coils rock as you can pick out a target in a much smaller area without picking up multiple signals. Getting around shrubs,rocks,boulders with them just bloody rocks. You have seen the light now find what you've missed-John

Once you feel you have the area detected thoroughly, I need to have you go over it again with a PI. I will be happy to supply the PI for you to try. Just to let you know, I pulled out a couple of merc dimes from that area late last year. On the upside, I didn't hunt the entire area.

Reg

Ron, you are a lucky guy-having Reg mentor you is a true treasure of the best kind!

Small coils donot always get the credit they deserve. If you use a moderately slow coil swing and listen for that sweet silver sound you will find some silver...another thing is you can get very close to and under old benches and fences-almost touching the metal and still get good targets. That process does take some patience.

Thanks for the kind words, Reg...I wish I was closer so we could go play.

fred

Yessir I am a lucky guy to have Reg around hopefully I can learn something

and I would be happy to go over it with the PI always ready to try out another detector

I saw this test and had to try it with these 2 machines, my Silver didn't fair too well

in fact it couldn't see a coin till the nails were moved out to about the coil diameter (8") but the

Vaquero with the stock 9x8 hit quarter, dime and nickel between the boards with the nails even a little closer

than the picture shows, can you explain why my Silver did not?

Shows why my silver didn't fair so well in that trashy area definitely would make a huge difference

10390293_333118293506812_875462927211258

hmmm RAE,

I think i'll go try that with my compadre. Thank's for the idea!

Ron, you are a lucky guy-having Reg mentor you is a true treasure of the best kind!

Small coils donot always get the credit they deserve. If you use a moderately slow coil swing and listen for that sweet silver sound you will find some silver...another thing is you can get very close to and under old benches and fences-almost touching the metal and still get good targets. That process does take some patience.

Thanks for the kind words, Reg...I wish I was closer so we could go play.

fred

Indeed, the man has forgotten more about detecting than many of us will ever know