Nugget Shooter Forums

BLM shutting down Box Canyon N. of Wickenburg

According to "The Wickenburg Sun". A new BLM mandate will close the Box Canyon of the Hassyampa River to cattle grazing and motorized access during spring and summer months. Implantation of the motorized and cattle closure will not go in effect until May of 2015.

This is the only natural water play area for the Wickenburg locals during the summer ... BLM says its is about some effin' bird, yet the bird and Wickenburg folk have been getting along just fine for 150 years!!!!

The area has been abused by some punkass kid over the years, but the townsfolk clean it up every week during the spring, summer and fall ... It is a local landmark and treasure and I'm sure we haven't seen the last of this show down ... One more example of fencing us out of our lands...

Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

They can't take away your beach!. Keep us informed of any developments.

:evil1: I'd participate in any civilized acts of Wickenburg disobedience.

I can't understand why they would want to close it off. I know that the kids go there to party and smoke weed and stuff but if you close off that place they will just find somewhere else to go. That place is a pure treasure here in the desert if you ask me, I just love it in there, so cool and green. The people who used it when they were kids are probably the ones that clean it up every so often. BLM is going too far with this if you ask me, what kind of damage is being done by cattle and kids? It floods every year and takes out all the jeep tracks. The people have to speak on this............................

Old Tom

Box Canyon is an Oasis and what grazing ? It's nothing but rock,sand and water. Maybe we could get Bundy to move a few head of cattle over there. I bet it,s over people boondocking in there. We need to give Paladin a call ( Have gun will travel ) or the guy with silver bullets and his Indian buddy :idunno:

:grr01: reminds me of a ol' Rolling Stones song-UNDER MY THUMB- :2mo5pow: close this,close that and concentrate usages to a miniscule area with masses of users then close that due to degrdation. Same ol'crappola &^%$#-John

Edited by Hoser John

Sabinno Canyon just North of Tucson was about the same. Cool water to play in. Party Spot. Believe it or not you could pan a bit of gold if you knew ware. They closed it off to all traffic. Only way in now is a paid Tram bus . Set hours. Overseers. Turned it into a Park.

This just in: It's worse that we thought: BLM agents informed the Wickenburg Town Council at their meeting Monday evening, that the Box Canyon of the Hassayampa would be seasonally CLOSED to ALL ranching, horseback, hiking, and motor vehicle activities, during Spring & Summer months, effective Spring 2015.

According to statements reported in the Wickenburg Sun today, attributed to both the Mayor and Vice Mayor of Wickenburg, this notice came as a complete surprise, and is directly opposite of what was agreed to at the Wickenburg Travel Plan meetings as recent as a few months ago, when the BLM stated that the Box Canyon of the Hassayampa was NOT on the list of areas being considered for closures, or other modifications to current uses.

Stay tuned… Looks like there may be some fur flying over this one…

I am not siding with the BLM on this or anything else they do. But in order to prevent things like this from happening we will have to become PROACTIVE rather than reactive or worse passive and then piss and moan about actions taken by the BLM and other federal agencies. How many people attended any of the public hearings on this issue or sent in comments? I am embarrassed that I did not. It makes it easy for the BLM or other agencies to act when there is an apparent lack of interest from "we the people". The small scale mining community lags far behind the organized enviromental terrorist groups who petition for these changes. We as a community have to do a better job or these kind of actions will eliminate our ability to enjoy OUR lands. And I do realize organizing cantakeous small scale miners is akin to hearding cats.

In addition this whole issue may fall under the RS2477 Law. No federal agency has the right to close a RS2477 road for any reason. Here is a thread discussing this issue:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/415277-rs-2477-derived-mining-law.html

Another issue in this case or any case involving small scale mining is the economic impact to local areas. We spend a LOT of money pursuing our endeavours and I have never seen this fact exploited as it should be. How much does our industry add to the economy? We do not have an national organization that has compiled those figures as far as I know. It is probably more than we realize and a significant factor when dealing with regulatory agencies and civic leaders.

Of course, all this is just my opinion.

I am not siding with the BLM on this or anything else they do. But in order to prevent things like this from happening we will have to become PROACTIVE rather than reactive or worse passive and then piss and moan about actions taken by the BLM and other federal agencies. How many people attended any of the public hearings on this issue or sent in comments? I am embarrassed that I did not. It makes it easy for the BLM or other agencies to act when there is an apparent lack of interest from "we the people". The small scale mining community lags far behind the organized enviromental terrorist groups who petition for these changes. We as a community have to do a better job or these kind of actions will eliminate our ability to enjoy OUR lands. And I do realize organizing cantakeous small scale miners is akin to hearding cats.

Our dilemma is those that engage in our hobby/business are more of less the type of people who just want to be left alone, lead their own lives, and pursue whatever makes them happy without undue government intrusion. Our type of people (miners, OHV users, ranchers, loggers etc.) are not known to be close knit or very communicative just because of that very fact. We have to go to work, raise our families, and pay our bills among the many other obligations that normal productive citizens encounter on a daily basis.

The problem is... we're up against the type of people who generally have no lives, have no fun, are non-producers, and who wish to control (through various laws, regulations, or executive orders) those they deem to be happy, productive, or have some sort of self independence. They can't stand the fact that there are people out there who actually enjoy life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness while they wallow in their own self induced misery. These type of people are well organized, easily influenced, and will follow with undue thought, those they deem to be more educated, or of a more superior status to their own selves.

Unfortunately in our case… these type of people that we're "fighting" against for our god given freedoms and rights, are breeding like rabbits and will soon become the majority rule. I'm sorry, but I don't have any answers on what we as productive citizens can do to counter these advances. I'm guessing it will all come to a boil at some point in time. Until then, all we can really do is just keep voicing our opinions and hope there's somebody listening. :112:

• Like 1

I'm not a fence setter but realistic. When would they ever listen to you, We the People? They do what They set out to do Every time all the time.

Edited by homefire

Our dilemma is those that engage in our hobby/business are more of less the type of people who just want to be left alone, lead their own lives, and pursue whatever makes them happy without undue government intrusion. Our type of people (miners, OHV users, ranchers, loggers etc.) are not known to be close knit or very communicative just because of that very fact.

Sadly, this type of mentality doesn't get far in a democracy. Whether or not the BLM is in the wrong, if prospectors/miners can't band together we become just a bunch of disparate whines in the background. Meanwhile policy gets set around us.

• Like 2

Sadly, this type of mentality doesn't get far in a democracy. Whether or not the BLM is in the wrong, if prospectors/miners can't band together we become just a bunch of disparate whines in the background. Meanwhile policy gets set around us.

Yep… but what are you going to do? As I stated, we more or less just want to be left alone to pursue whatever makes us happy. Most people of our ilk have jobs, businesses, hobbies, and families that take up the majority of our time... thus the low participation rate when it comes to governmental intrusion matters. Being a full-time leech or protester is just not on our agenda. :112:

However… for the people on the other side of the fence… being a thorn in the sides of those of us who are happy and enjoy our lives… is exactly what they live for! Being a major pain in the a** is their life! It's hard to fight or reason with those type of people, especially when their sole mission in life is to reek as much havoc as possible in the lives of those of use who are normal and productive citizens of society. :grr01:

• Like 4

This just in: It's worse that we thought: BLM agents informed the Wickenburg Town Council at their meeting Monday evening, that the Box Canyon of the Hassayampa would be seasonally CLOSED to ALL ranching, horseback, hiking, and motor vehicle activities, during Spring & Summer months, effective Spring 2015.

This doesn't make sense. I've been to Box Canyon. It's a wonderful and totally unique place.

No bird watching allowed either? They would have to hike in you know.

Maybe there should be a bounty on this bird.

Stan, they don't wish to listen to you. Here in the Sierras, we went to several 'townhall meetings" w/ the Forrestry on their wanting to close down atv use of roads and trails. In the end, they did what they wanted as usual.

An interesting point; they close down areas for public use all the time and more and more. With less area to patrol, has anyone heard of the Forestry or BLM cutting back on employees?

Oh to be president for one week! You want to see Executive Orders put to proper use? Good bye to the ACLU, major cutbacks to EPA, the US Forestry, BLM, Congressional pay cuts till budget straightened balnced w/o any more figg'n taxes. ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! I wouldn't make it 3 days, the Unions would see to that-

Shep

Edited by shep
  • Like 1

We could all get together at Box Canyon come this Winter and throw one helluva feist on inviting the public and the press and the head honcho of BLM and tie somebody to a Cholla cactus...Not namin no names :4chsmu1: just sayin :yesss:

Yep… but what are you going to do? As I stated, we more or less just want to be left alone to pursue whatever makes us happy. Most people of our ilk have jobs, businesses, hobbies, and families that take up the majority of our time... thus the low participation rate when it comes to governmental intrusion matters. Being a full-time leech or protester is just not on our agenda. :112:

However… for the people on the other side of the fence… being a thorn in the sides of those of us who are happy and enjoy our lives… is exactly what they live for! Being a major pain in the a** is their life! It's hard to fight or reason with those type of people, especially when their sole mission in life is to reek as much havoc as possible in the lives of those of use who are normal and productive citizens of society. :grr01:

I agree 100% and I've said this before -- we are getting a taste of the treatment the American Indians got.

There is a master plan at work here and I'm not liking it. Nobody voted for it. It is the work of government agencies that have gone rogue.

Edited by Dakota Slim

So,the consensus is to do nothing or wait until someone else does it for us? If we as a group of small scale miners do not stand up and say enough who will? When was the last time anyone sent a letter or email to an official of the BLM or your elected representative stating your objection(s) to BLM actions? Sure it seems to do little good but you eat an elephant one bite at a time. Who is responsible for letting this situation get to this point? Look in the mirror. By not participating in the process it all our faults. Do you think all the members of the enviro terrorist organizations are any different than us? They have families, jobs, responsibilities but seem to be able to get organized enough to crush the small scale mining community. Voice your opinions even if you think it does no good. There has to be a start to reverse this process of closing off access to OUR lands.

Edited by SLNugget
  • Like 1

Not to sound like a wet rage but my consensus is they will do what they want, when they want and until we can shut them down or put a shock collar on them there going to continue to do the same. Attending a Town or there meeting is all but a waist of time unless you can find some media willing to follow the story. Good luck on that one. Yuppy voters in the big cities think there doing a good thing because there being told so. Not knowing or ever able to enjoy the places like this means nothing to them. SOOOOO the agenda goes on.

If we could come up with oh, say $10-20 million dollars to mess with them in court it would slow them down.

Edited by homefire

I don't understand why the Governors of states don't get involved with these land closings. What benefits the state when the feds have control? Does the state get monies by allowing the feds to control certain pieces of land within the state? Don't make sense to me. If I were governor I'd tell them what they can do with it.

So,the consensus is to do nothing or wait until someone else does it for us? If we as a group of small scale miners do not stand up and say enough who will? When was the last time anyone sent a letter or email to an official of the BLM or your elected representative stating your objection(s) to BLM actions? Sure it seems to do little good but you eat an elephant one bite at a time. Who is responsible for letting this situation get to this point? Look in the mirror. By not participating in the process it all our faults. Do you think all the members of the enviro terrorist organizations are any different than us? They have families, jobs, responsibilities but seem to be able to get organized enough to crush the small scale mining community. Voice your opinions even if you think it does no good. There has to be a start to reverse this process of closing off access to OUR lands.

I think Sitting Bull said something like that.