Nugget Shooter Forums

Puzzled...

I was cutting brush and burning this morning bright and early trying to beat the heat. So anyway the leaves were too wet to burn so I switched sides of the creek and picked up some twigs and branches I cut off yesterday. So I was doing a lot of exercise bending and stooping when something caught my EYE...EYE...EYEYIYIYIYII!!!

We don't have wolves in east texas, well maybe hybreds. And normally big cats are not here, but we do have like game places that keep exotics.

This is about 4-5" across and hard to tell if the claws show. But claws don't show if it's a big cat. It's the right front paw I believe and the left on slightly disturbed the ground. What do you think it is???

post-26159-0-33488100-1402066709_thumb.j

I prefer tenderloins :evil1:

Homie may be right.

I have seen canine tracks that look like that too. When they step in soft mud, the toes splay out and can really distort the shape. If it's a cat he might come back through. Set up a game cam, maybe get a picture of the critter.

I have seen one Florida Panther (black) in my life (in the 70s) and it was in the panhandle of Florida. I don't know their range but know they are 'rare' and have not googled them lately.

Mitchel

Well hmmm...I read back in 09 or 10 they got a mountain lion on camera in Faulkner Park in Tyler and then read there were sightings in Upshur and Wood counties just to the north of me. I guess it makes sense. There's plenty of prey for them to hunt. Here lately I have heard some strange noises. I'll have to keep my eye's peeled. Thank's guys!

They do their damdest to stay out of sight. We always found their tracks but very seldom ever seen them. We had a couple in CA where I managed a duck hunting club

Looks like Lion Track to me. If I was you I would stay away from high points. They have a thing about coming down on the pray from above. Take a Can of Cat Food. Punch a hole in it. Set it in the sun for a day or two. Let it get most funky. This works for Bear too. Wet down some ground and put the can in the middle of it. In a day or two check for tracks. If you have no tracks in a few weeks it was just a cat coming through.

It's hard to see the details in your picture, but I think that it's a big cat, wolfs have a more rounded and oval shaped toe pads, cats have a more teardrop shaped toe pads, also the central pad of a wolf in more triangular than that of a cat, the central pad is the best way to ID the difference between the two animals.

Here's a great website that has all kind of animal tracks listed.

http://www.bear-tracker.com/

Mountain Lion

cougarfront1.gifcougarhind1.gif

Gray Wolf

wolfront.gifwolfhind.gif

Canine… either wolf, dog, coyote.

I'm starting to think the same as AZB, I can't see the center pad very well, but in looking at your picture closer I noticed that the two outside toe pads point outward while the two inner toe pads point straight forward like the wolf track above does and not straight ahead like the all of the toe pads in lion's track do.

Well guys the tracks keep on showing up. The track on the left is the one above. The other two to the right are apparently new. This is the same spot as the other picture.

post-26159-0-91421800-1402191926_thumb.j