Nugget Shooter Forums

Couple Self Collected AZ Specimens

Heulandite, Malpais Hill, Pinal County, AZ (open)

002_zps0cd00f32.jpg

Gemmy Green Smithsonite, 79 mine , Hayden, Gila County,, AZ (private)

003_zps246d3d6c.jpg

Edited by adam

Adam....do you have a picture of your entire display, I bet it's drop dead amazing

Steve,

I don't have much left after selling my purchased specimens. Moslty all I have are self collected , and those meant more to me then the high end Aquamarines and other stuff that I had purchased.

Here`s a couple shots of the only mineral curio/cabinet I have. All but two or three are from Arizona.

cab2_zps7fbd125e.jpg

cab3_zps221a7c0e.jpg

cab1_zps6ac3606e.jpg

cab4_zps664b581c.jpg

Edited by adam

noting the AMethyst in the bottom of the cabinet,,,,Adam, I was told by a dealer that AMethyst by definition , forms in a geode, yet if you find a "purply" looking quartz and only a crystal face( geode or vug already cracked open) how can you say for certain?

If there's a hint of purple can you still call it Amethyst even if you don't crack open a geode?

:idunno: Is there a strict defintion of AMethyst or will any purpley quartz do?

Great collection for sure, thanks for posting the pictures. What exactly is the clay like stuff you hold the specimens with?

WH... That amethyst certainly looks like a plate from a geode.......but, a quartz vug can also produce amethyst

noting the AMethyst in the bottom of the cabinet,,,,Adam, I was told by a dealer that AMethyst by definition , forms in a geode, yet if you find a "purply" looking quartz and only a crystal face( geode or vug already cracked open) how can you say for certain?

If there's a hint of purple can you still call it Amethyst even if you don't crack open a geode?

:idunno: Is there a strict defintion of AMethyst or will any purpley quartz do?

In general , purple quartz is considered amethyst. Regardless of the formation it came from. The particular amethyst in the picture formed in ribbon type vein systems of quartz with vugs throughout the veins. These vugs / cavities would be filled with amethyst or smokey quartz. usually.

Great collection for sure, thanks for posting the pictures. What exactly is the clay like stuff you hold the specimens with?

Thanks Steve, the product is called adhesive putty, and the brand is scotch / 3M....Think I got it at Lowes

THat's what I thought- you don't have to break open a geode to call purple quartz ,'amethyst'.

Read that the purple is iron but I think it's lockedinto the crystal itself( turning it purple) instead of superficial staining that can result in a variety of shades from yellow to brown( so I have read).

:idunno: I also found that cattle plop makes a great fake iron stain.(( I think that's what it is). That ,and tractor hydraulic fluid or oil.

WH... That amethyst certainly looks like a plate from a geode.......but, a quartz vug can also produce amethyst

THat sounds like some of what I am finding, but most are milky to clear and found as float away from a large dike. To imagine it in all it's splendor- with erosion and time non-existent- make my heart pitter pat :arrowheadsmiley:

The particular amethyst in the picture formed in ribbon type vein systems of quartz with vugs throughout the veins. These vugs / cavities would be filled with amethyst or smokey quartz. usually.

Don't forget about yellow quartz too...AKA. Citrine, and a rare color for quartz green

THat's what I thought- you don't have to break open a geode to call purple quartz ,'amethyst'.

Read that the purple is iron but I think it's lockedinto the crystal itself( turning it purple) instead of superficial staining that can result in a variety of shades from yellow to brown( so I have read).

:idunno: I also found that cattle plop makes a great fake iron stain.(( I think that's what it is). That ,and tractor hydraulic fluid or oil.

Why would anyone even think about putting a fake stain on any kind of specimen?

Why would anyone even think about putting a fake stain on any kind of specimen?

YOU'll have to ask that Angus. Or it might have been a Longhorn.

Or maybe it's just Javelina Diarrhea .

:89: I had no say in the matter.

Edited by weaver hillbille