Nugget Shooter Forums

Yelland Dry Lake

Mike,

When the last time that lake had water in it? Looks thirsty.... :tisk-tisk:

Edited by Rimshot

Hi Mike,

The lake was not completely dry by any stretch of the imagination a week prior to your hunt. There is standing water at the corrals (directly behind them) Geese swimming around and it's a wet land environment.

And the entire SW section is wet as you will sink in the mud if you try to walk it. Where you hunted was dry!

The real question is what is going to happen to the lake as the snow continues to melt? I estimate it's melting pretty quickly and the lake may fill even more if it does not run off fast enough. Even so, the high mountains looked extremely snow packed. Not sure it will all melt this summer.

I sure like it up there!

Jim

Mike,

When the last time that lake had water in it? Looks thirsty.... :tisk-tisk:

Rim,

Two years ago, the entire southern part of the lake had water in it. You could not get to the main Met Bull coordinates as it was under water.

Last year, that same area and the vast majority of all the lake was dry. This year a few weeks ago, the lake near the corrals had water in it. Geese were swimming around. I did not try to get to the main coordinates as I hit heavy mud on the way and did not try an alternate route. I suspect most hunting was done North of the main coords.

Most of the entire SW section of the lake was very wet mud that one could not walk on without sinking 6 or more inches. Water was flowing out of the lake at the South Rd crossing. Lots of snow still on the mountains and I suspect if it continues to warm up, that melt may fill the lake more. This is a very dynamic lake and for the last three years is different every time we have gone! Love it!

Jim

Here are some trip pictures (within a docx document file) of the trip Wendy and I went on. We started in Nevada and ended up in Utah. Scored a little over 400 grams at Yelland, I skunked in Utah. Wendy found a small meteorite which is currently being classified and Dave found two. one is in the process of classification as well! Fun trip! Already to do it again!

Http://pages.suddenlink.net/taenite/trip.docx

Two years ago, the entire southern part of the lake had water in it. You could not get to the main Met Bull coordinates as it was under water.

Yea, that's what I meant by it was dry this time. I saw all the water down by the corrals, there were some folk camped out there with their horses. It is some beautiful country!

Cool picts, Jim, thanks for sharing!

Edited by Mikestang

It's been a pretty dry year. So after summer passes much of the water may dried up. In 2010 when I first visited Yowland almost the entire lake was dry except for the very very very southwestern end. I was able to walk from southwest of the corrals all the way to the north end of the lake and never saw drop water I also walked west quite a distance and never encountered anything but dry dirt so in a dry year like we been having it could mean pay day for the lake later in the year.

Edited by peakbager

Howdy All... Gosh finding meteorites at what could be called Yelland Playa, or Dry Lake, actually is a "wet"

lake... Wow, usually it is a smelly mud flat... Gosh I'm an ol' Ely Nevada boy; born there, graduated from

White Pine County High School there in 1948... The Yellands were a well known pioneer family and the

airport is named Yelland Field as is Yelland Dry Lake.

If anyone has a copy of the September 2010 revision of ADVANCED Prospecting & Detecting For

Hardrock Gold it has Appendix A 'More on Meteorites." Please check out 13A. "Dry Lakes and Meteorites"

on pgs 104-105.

Please... if'n anyone knows where I can get a small meteorite from Yelland Dry Lake, please let me

know about it... I really would like a small one and most willing to buy it... tailgate Jim Straight

Hey, Jim. That's really cool that you grew up there, it's a beautiful part of the country.

I know quite a few folk that have found so many meteorites at Yelland they'll probably give you one, but if that doesn't happen let me know and I have several that I purchased last year and would sell ya 1 for what I paid for it.

Would you be able to scan pages 104-105 from that article and share them with us?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike... fer' Heavens sake you are in my backyard of old'n memories... Please send me an e-mail... jimstraig@earthlink.net,

Rim... Great to see you posting on the forum too...Could you post on this forum a photo of what now may be an

abandoned home in Elly Nervada.....Address 842 high street Ely Nevada... to the east is shown the Schell range across

Steptoe Valley.

More later... jim

Jim here again. Bill has copies of ADVANCED. It is one of the books he has in his store. The 2010 revised

edition is the one with appendix A more on meteorites...

More later jim

Not sure if one of these is it Jim. But it's in the neighborhood...lol

And also one looking east.

post-26159-0-86679100-1401906259_thumb.j

post-26159-0-01913600-1401907493_thumb.j

Edited by Rimshot

Rim.. in the first photo it to the left of the center house... actually it is behind the telephone pole.

In the second photo the large green 2-story house is actually a log house for the original ranch.

Looking down street the mountain is the Schell range. Now go back 60 year and there is no walk

or other refinements and you are looking at my old neighborhood as it was in the late 1930's and

still the same when I graduated from the high school in 1948. WOW... old memories...

Yep..back then Ely was still a rip-roaring copper camp... A six-story hotel... The county seat and

the Blow off town as copper was king and Ruth, Kimberly and McGill were company towns and

"no messing around." Everything was legal in Ely... But at the same time it was under self-control

as the county high school was in Ely and all of the kids from the ranches, and company towns

attended the same high school and as such it was a great melting pot, but still each company town

"thought they were better than the others" Who knows, and who cares... Just a footnote in a

History book... thanks for the trip down memory lane... More later... jim

Howdy All... Gosh finding meteorites at what could be called Yelland Playa, or Dry Lake, actually is a "wet"

lake... Wow, usually it is a smelly mud flat... Gosh I'm an ol' Ely Nevada boy; born there, graduated from

White Pine County High School there in 1948... The Yellands were a well known pioneer family and the

If anyone has a copy of the September 2010 revision of ADVANCED Prospecting & Detecting For

Hardrock Gold it has Appendix A 'More on Meteorites." Please check out 13A. "Dry Lakes and Meteorites"

on pgs 104-105.

Please... if'n anyone knows where I can get a small meteorite from Yelland Dry Lake, please let me

know about it... I really would like a small one and most willing to buy it... tailgate Jim Straight

Jim

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't remember me,but we met back in the early nineties sometime after your book "Magnificent Quest" came out. You were kind enough to give me some advise on meteorite hunting and finding the right metal detector. I would be more than happy to pass on that favor by giving you one of my Yelland dry lake finds for your collection. You can get a hold of me on the message board.Glad to see you're still hanging out.

Richard AKA kgmrg

Richard, we are practically neighbors e-mail me... jimstraig@earthlink.net I'm still active with

Inland Empire Valley Prospectors, GPAA Inland Empire Chapter as I can drive there at night. jim

Thanks for the local history, Jim. See, I told you someone here has probably found enough they'll give you one! If you still want one of the ones I had, just let me know, but I think Richard will take care of you. :)

Mike

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this forum... One of the houses... the one behind the telephone pole

in photo #1 was my home from 1937 until I left Ely in 1955... I again returned after my active duty hitch as

a combat engineer CCB stationed at Ft. Leonard Wood MO. 1955-57... With my young family I then went

to McGill where I was reinstated as a flotation operator at the concentrator. I floated copper and also moly

and even at the lime plant. Then in Nov 1957 with Kennecott Copper in financial trouble I suddenly left late

one afternoon with two kids, wife and I, all jammed into a 1953 Dodge truck with the small 6-cyl 100 HP motor

heading to Reno... I took the long way as I could not pull the passes on HWY 50 as I was pulling a mobile

home that we also lived in at Ft 0W. At midnight near the top of the summit near Carlin a right front tire

went flat and in the freezing cold I managed to put on the spare and we continued on, finally reaching Reno

after a long slow struggle pulling the trailer. But over the continuing years we made at least one trip back

to Ely which was on a slow downhill spiral... My mom sold the house at 842 Highs St. for peanuts with no

interest for 20$ month for 2000$....I was last in Ely area with Chris& Steve Gholson where we spent a

week having fun detecting at Osceola... More later... jim

Jim,

First, thank you for your service to this Country. Ely is a beautiful area. Is sure does get cold there in the winter!

Thanks for the story.

Jim

on pgs 104-105.

Jim, if nobody has offered, I will be happy to send you a few Yelland meteorites. I need your address, etc. No charge. If you can, email it to me.... jimwooddell at gmail.com

Jim

Edited by Desertsunburn

Thank you Jim Wooddell... I have added myself to your list of friends... More later... jim straight