Nugget Shooter Forums

California Mine Nugget

Have not posted any finds in a while so I thought I would share these three pieces. Long story short...met a fella from Coulterville, California at a Fresno Gold Show while back, got to talking and found out he was from the Motherlode area as I was. He was getting into metal detecting so him and I went out to a private piece of land up in Coulterville to do a little detecting. The California Mine was located on this property, guess it was worked back during the gold rush...lots of coyote holes and tailing piles. I thought I would start search the areas and hillsides down slope from the various holes and piles...the first piece found was 10 grams...the largest is left of the dime...the others 7 grams and 2.6 .. John found a 2 gram piece and all were rough..sponge like. we had a great day hunting and thought we were rewarded well for our efforts....will be hitting it again in the future.

post-22658-0-65733400-1401422077_thumb.j

Edited by Relichunter2
  • Like 1

Nice to see some awesome nuggets posted ... WTG and congratulations! ... Cheers, Unc

Very nice nuggets :)
Sounds like you two have a spot thats going to

give you a lot of fun in the future.

WTG on getten em!
Good luck to both of you.

Tom H.

Jus' gotta luv that private property. Good ol' Coulterville and the greater area sure has produced some righteous poundages throughout it's long history. NASTY road but makes ya work for that sweet oro puro. Nice chunky gold-John

Thanks guys....yes these little puppies are rough. By the looks of them they have not traveled very far so there is hope for more in the future.... :) today we are heading north of Coulterville to hit hopefully some crystalline gold. Got my sadie coil on the 4500 will see what she will do. So far I am very happy with the NF sadie....as it picks up the smallest bits of iron and she has paid for her self with small nuggs all ready! Let you know how it goes...

Well...no gold today......was working a site I have been to know and than...after an hour...silent threshold...so I thought I would explore.. :cry2: Bad idea , exploring can be rough.....fell a few times because of heavy oak leaf and no footing on extreem rough terrain....worst of all is the poison oak, got it all over my forearms....and worst....has to be I lost my brand new whites TRX pin pointer... :grr01: ....came down the mountain a beaten man ...just for today :)....Tomorrow is another day.....

Man I feel for you guy, I remember the day as a kid we threw poison oak or sumac in the fire while camping. Well we all wound up in bed and I had a bout with the doctor for quite a while after that. The pin pointer, well it's only money and you can chalk it up to 'Expense of doing business', I really never found a need for one. I suppose if you use a humongous coil you could save yourself some digging. Next time out is going to be great.....................

Old Tom

All part and parcel to the adventure. Better luck next time as that pinponter is right next to that pile a socks the dryer keeps eatn' .John

Holy moly relic hunter... That is spectacular.........leaf gold with stacked trigons...WOW

I agree a very nice rare example of Trigon gold. AzNuggetBob

• 2 months later...

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:32 PM

Well...no gold today......was working a site I have been to know and than...after an hour...silent threshold...so I thought I would explore.. :cry2: Bad idea , exploring can be rough.....fell a few times because of heavy oak leaf and no footing on extreem rough terrain....worst of all is the poison oak, got it all over my forearms....and worst....has to be I lost my brand new whites TRX pin pointer... :grr01: ....came down the mountain a beaten man ...just for today :)....Tomorrow is another day.....

Update : So on Saturday Aug 30 I went out for a little hunt was working a hill side searching for a nugget that would hopefully show it self....after digging a few targets like lead and a nail or two...I get a nice soft sound and find a .7 gram piece. So I am thinking...gotta be more !! So I am slowly working the general area and a get this soft signal , I start diggin and a dirt clog rolls down this steep side 30 feet down into some bushes, I am barely holding my footing scan the hole and nothing..darn !! I ask myself it's got to be in that clogg, but I have to go back down as this hillside is steep..so carefully slide down to the clog and right next to the clog my long lost Whites TRX pinpointer I lost back in May !! :yesss: I only had the darn thing for a week and lost it....I pressed the button and its working !! It was a happy day...my TRX back and a small nugget...