Nugget Shooter Forums

New Minelab SDC2300 Video released

The reps from Minelab and Garrett have all been here in Brazil with their new machines.

First was the Garrett ATX also military hardware. What I like about it is the three coils that can be had.

The Minelab folks were here very quickly after the Garrett folks. They had a very big turn out for the demo

at one of our school auditorums. They spent over an hour talking and showing a video of the SDC 2300.

Several times the woman on the team would toss the detector down the isle and it would bounce and clang

on the tiled floor. Then she would go stand on it. Finally it came time for the small nugget demo.

The machine wouldn't work!

Both machines are military spec with the software for us civilians and coin and gold hunting. What I don't

understand is with today's technology why both machines don't have in detector rechargeable batteries!!!

Being stuck with that one little coil on the

SDC 2300 to me is a drawback.

Been looking at what JP has done with this detector and I am really impressed. Long have prospectors wished for a detector with the sensitivity to small gold of a high frequency VLF and the resistance to mineralization and hot rocks of a good PI. The SDC 2300 may have essentially achieved that. I have a very sensitive scale, and the smallest piece of gold I got last summer with the GB2 was 0.006 grams - it was honestly very near what the limit of the GB2 is capable of in mild ground with the gain cranked to the max . JP's smallest piece with the SDC2300 is less than 0.00 grams. So even if its 0.009, its still pretty much into GB2 territory. This is smaller than what most of the mid-frequency multi-purpose VLFs can see. JP is also using his on specimen quartz - many mines have small gold flakes shot through the quartz or in wire form. I am looking forward to getting my hands on one when they become available.

Garimpo - Fixed, inside the detector rechargeable batteries are a bad idea - its been done and proved. What happens when your batteries discharge but they are not removable? You must set your detector aside for several hours while it recharges. If you wanted to put in a long day of detecting or if you were onto a real hot patch, you are done for the time being. With replaceable ones, you pull the discharged ones out and put charged ones in, The discharged ones then go into the charger. Only a few minutes time is lost. Also, if the rechargebles go bad, you throw the bad ones away. If they are fixed inside the detector, you need to send it back to the repair shop.

IMO-without being able to use one yet are--- :tisk-tisk:

Pros-

1-the compact design is great :thumbsupanim

2-you can run it with regular batteries :thumbsupanim

3-it uses the fine timing that the 5000 uses :thumbsupanim

4-its waterproof :thumbsupanim

Cons- :idunno:

1-the coil is hardwired-so no changing coils and you cant use any aftermarket coils either :nutty:

2-if it weighs anything like the garret PI-forget it :yikes:

3-I dont really care for turn on and go beepers-I like to have complete control :89:

4- price ? 3+K boorbboorbboorb

:m2c: -Mike C... :200:

What I don't understand I can go buy a top of the line 20 volt lithium drill with 2 rechargeble batteries, a skill saw, a recipricating saw, and a flashlight for $199.00 at Lowes right now (Porter Cable) and the detector companies stay in the dark ages as far as battery selection goes...hmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!! My 18 volt niCad Porter Cable charges in just 30 minutes and is still going 8 years and just recently one of the batteries has played out. And why aren't the batteries stab in style like the drills. Why do you have to have a stupid cable on minelab 5000? It's been proven the more connections you have, the more trouble you have.OK, i'm sorry, just had to get that outa my system...heeheee!!!!!!!!

Edited by Rimshot

I am still waiting on the GPX 6000. and saving up for it.....we all see the pros and cons about the new Minelab SDC 2300, but after watching Nenad with it...you wanna like this new unit. Its compact,and in its own small shoulder type carry bag I can see myself traveling with it here and there especially abroad. It appears like a tough built all around Pi machine..we will see how well it performs in the near future...But seriously guys.....I think those fellas in Sudan would have a kick at how impressed we are with how small the gold we can find with any of our detectors of choice.

1-the coil is hardwired-so no changing coils and you cant use any aftermarket coils either :nutty:

The fixed coil thing is kind of a two edged sword. Yep, there is no opportunity of changing coils and getting the change in performance a different sized coil might offer.

On the other hand, ML can totally optimize the operation of that detector for the one coil. No need to consider what effect on all the timings a different sized coil might have, you only have one coil, so you can tweak and adjust it to get the absolute maximum out of that one coil. From JPs early performance comments, its tweaked to maximize performance on smaller gold. We will see when it becomes more generally available, but I think it will punch deeper than a VLF on smaller stuff and see small stuff no PI currently available can see. I think a lot of known patches will be yielding up new, smaller gold in the gram and smaller range.

I see no need for other coils on this detector based on the sensitivity I'm getting out of the one attached to it, the 8" Commander mono for the GPX 5000 was one of my all time favourite coils when chasing small gold.

I think the SDC is just a brilliant pick up and go tool just like the GBII, once you get your head around that its just plain fun to head out detecting. No rigging up if you don't feel like it, just switch it on, put on the headphones, select a sensitivity level for the local conditions maybe do an auto freq tune, pump the coil a couple of times (hardly need to do that even in the hottest ground) and your away looking for gold.

The SDC 2300 would have to be the best socially minded metal detector I have ever used, I can't wait to get a group of good friends together and hammer a few favourite areas within sight of each other, seeing who can outdo the other. Some of the most memorable metal detecting times I have ever had were just recently with my son chasing little tiny tiddler nugglets on our old favourite VLF stomping grounds, we ended up in a draw with 9 each but I kuzumped my boy on the weights, 0.5gm for me whereas his only weighed in at 0.3, the little devil has much better ears than I.

JP

IMG_0398_zps5ecfbd5a.jpg

IMG_0389_zps228c5dc7.jpg

"3-it uses the fine timing that the 5000 uses "

No, it uses its own specially designed timing.

And you know this for a fact-Ive found gold smaller than a grain in fine gold on my 5000 :4chsmu1: Mike C... :200:

Where this detector really shines is TRAVEL! A no-fuss detector that can go carry-on , or in your luggage, allowing

you to take it anywhere you fly. Now if only I can get my Prospector pick past airport security!

Ben

So, this leads to some thought on what the next GPX will do. Certainly won't be geared towards tiny gold, maybe it will have much more depth than anything before it. I do like the compact travel mode and ease of setting it up on this new Minelab. Looks like weight is not much of an issue either. I think competition in detector design is finally getting a number of good products out there.

There will not be another GPX series detector and Minelab is using new technology now. When I say no GPX it does not mean there will not be another top shelf offering as there surly will, but not a GPX. Yes NEW Technology.....

Had a good visit with my local Garrett, Bounty Hunter, Minelab, Fisher dealer this afternoon. He got out yesterday to a beat to death patch that I've found gold in before using my 4000 and a Coiltek Joey mono.

Yesterday he was using the Garrett ATX with the 8" mono coil. He snagged three little ones. The big one weighed 1.3 gr and here is the pic of the little ones.

P5280004.jpg

Neither one would register on either of my two scales. Then I put both on and still no numbers. He said they were about three inches deep. Later he put on the standard DD coil and it also picked them up but the depth was only about .5 inch.

Garimpo -

Check your scale, but I think you will find that on the gram setting, it gives readings to 1/10th of a gram - like you said your local dealer got a nugget of 1.3 grams. That's one and 3 tenths.

JP's scale weighs to 1/100th of a gram.

My scale weighs to 1/1000th of a gram.

The ATX is a great detector and it does get small gold, but not in the range of a high frequency VLF.

Although much testing remains to be done, it seems like the SDC 2300 may be competitive for small gold with the GB2 and Goldmasters, and punch deeper on nuggets smaller than a pennyweight or so.