Nugget Shooter Forums

Lost something pretty valuable yesterday

Every one is always saying to make sure you wear a dust mask. That is good advice. From here on out I will be promoting another less popular peice of safety gear. The face shield. They are sold in the chainsaw section at hardware stores. I am going to get one. Yesterday while swinging the pick axe a tennis ball sized rock flew up and smacked me in the mouth. Broke one of my teeth clean in half. I've never had a cavitie or lost an adult tooth before so I am pretty bummed about it. I'm headed to the dentist as soon as they open to see what can be done.

Dentist have to INJECT me with Serious Calm ya down goodies before the work..Other wise I shake like a leaf in a Gail force wind.

Just got back from the dentist. He says I lucked out and it broke just below the nerve so the nerve wasn't exposed and it didn't really hurt at all. He put some kind of filler on there so it looks like a tooth again. I have to get a crown in six to eight weeks. Could've been a whole lot worse.

Lol, thanks Skip, I think it was actually a grimace more than a smile. It was some packed dirt and I was really swinging the pick and I must've been snarling or something. That rock flew up so fast, I saw it coming and couldn't even react it was so quick, the main point of impact was on that one tooth. The rock was big enough to knock out a lot of teeth though, I guess I "lucked out" and just the right edge hit that one tooth instead of smashing out several. I did it yesterday but it was already after 5 so I just kept digging until it got dark, then this morning I went straight to the dentist and got it patched up. Wanted to head back out as soon as I left the dentist but I decided to take a day off and rethink my digging strategy.

:th: now that'll teach ya to keep your mouth shut when mining :idunno: costly bummer as them crowns here in kalif start at $500+++, back to digging asap-lotza luck- are ya gettn' a gold crown,all mine are but the stinkn' state won't let the dentists use my gold anymore to mfg my crowns-bummer-John

Yea the dentist said the crown would be about 900$. I am going to ask how much a gold one is. It would be great if I could use my own gold for it. I will definitely keep my trap shut when swinging a pick from now on. Yep I was back digging in the same spot today. Lost a tooth in that creek, I plan to extract every piece of gold from it I can now just to make it worthwhile, and to pay for the darn tooth.

Chris in most cases the crowns are made off site from a master mold sent to a caster from the dentist. I tryed this years ago.
The gold that is used is a specialized/refined gold. But you may be able to make a deal with the dentist if he just wants trade some raw Gold nuggets in exchange for the bill?

Raw Nuggets can have a lot of nasty things in them like Arsenic and mercury.
That's why I dont recomend people put nuggets in their mouth when they find them. AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

Crowns are a mixture of metals as 24kt is way too soft to last any length of time. Up till 2002 or so he took gold for the crowns but lousy kalif is a state of insanity now :nutty: -John

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear about your tooth. I hope your crown is a good fit. I will take that lesson to heart, as I have had stuff

hit me in the face but, never in the eye or mouth. I'll be much more aware of it now. I hope the rest of your holiday

weekend is good.

Ben

That temporary fix he did is a lot stronger then you might think. I wore one like 3 yrs and it was still in good shape when they ground it off to put on a new crown.

Shoot Bob, that's another method I will have to change. Usually any pickers I pull of the dry washer screen I pop into my mouth until I am done cleaning up. Thanks Ben, yes I think that is really the most important part is just being aware of the possibility and trying to prevent it. I haven't ever been hurt while picking so my usual method is to just swing as wildly and hard as I can until the dirts broke up. Now I have added a rake, garden ho, and a few other tools so I can use a different strategy instead of just brute force. Hey Steve that would be awesome man, I'm sure you would make a great crown for me. That'd be so cool! I am going to have to sell some gold to pay for the crown but I've not found a way to use my own gold for the crown yet. The dentist I use is run by the state, so it's not a private dentist. I have no idea how they will go about getting my crown ready. Lol, rimshot, that is great to hear. Pretty crazy he built me that fake tooth in just about thirty minutes. Honestly it is straighter than the old one too. I kept expecting it to break while I was eating granola bars. It does seem to be tougher than expected. Man, if you got one to last three years I may just keep it have him slap a new one on every year or so!