Nugget Shooter Forums

Drywashed yesterday

Got out yesterday to see what I could do with my new DW. Took me six and half hours to dig and run 40 buckets of earth and 10 buckets of tailings

I didn't get a whole lot. But I went ahead and ran the dirt that I knew didn't have alot of color as I dig down to the good stuff. Thought it would be good practice as this is only my second time drywashing.

Didnt really start feeling a rythm with my work until the 20th bucket. After that things moved a little faster.

Here's the before and after shot's of the spot I dug out:

post-27032-0-47078500-1400562993_thumb.jpost-27032-0-74775900-1400562999_thumb.j

8"-10" to bedrock left, should be much better gold from here down

post-27032-0-09393400-1400563035_thumb.j

My daughter helping out after the dust settled

Here's the finds, one nice little picker in there:

post-27032-0-75149500-1400563044_thumb.j

post-27032-0-22957100-1400563056_thumb.jpost-27032-0-55608700-1400563065_thumb.j

This is the thick glass and wierd metal I find in this spot

Also found a rivot from some jeans, I think.

Only made one mistake and left the fine dirt drain plug in the bellows box out for 10 buckets. :grr01: Something didn't seem right, but I kept going anyways. :idunno:

Carnage for the day was one broken pick handle and a busted up tote.

Shootin for 50 buckets next time...

Nice color Shea. How come you didn't bring your helper the last time we went, she looks like she could rake up a storm.

Can't wait till you get to bedrock to see what's there.

Old Tom

That looks great and your helper is fantastic. Make sure you stay out of the dust. Our friend we prospected with had his Grandson come visit for a week this past Winter and after he went home to NV he got awfully sick an docs couldn't find out what was wrong with him...I suggested to friend that possibly Valley Fever.. They had to take him to Vegas to check and thats what the problem was. Luckily he is well now.

I bet my daughter filled an entire bucket herself throughout the day. She loved helping out with her little plastic tools.

I was very aware of the dust factor, all day a nice breeze was blowing the dust away from us up the gulch. While I had the drywasher going my wife and daughter would hang out upwind about 80' away under a nice tree, when the dust settled she would come over and help me fill buckets, all the while I was trying to keep her upwind of the dust. I wonder if anyone makes a toddler dust mask?

Don't worry about the Valley Fever part of it Shea. Everyone that lives here gets it in one degree or another. Some get very ill from it and others don't even know they had it. The dust factor can be a problem in other ways though so keep her safe as you can bud. Ever see a dust storm come through, there is no escaping it and you are spitting brown for a while after.

Nice picker there Shay!
Glad you got out with the family, had fun and made memrories :)
Hope you get to the bedrock soon....its getting hot.

Tom H.

Don't worry about the Valley Fever part of it Shea. Everyone that lives here gets it in one degree or another. Some get very ill from it and others don't even know they had it. The dust factor can be a problem in other ways though so keep her safe as you can bud. Ever see a dust storm come through, there is no escaping it and you are spitting brown for a while after.

Your right Tom about all of us getting it at one time or another and thinking it is just flu or not even knowing. I went ahead and ordered her one of the child masks from Amazon to be on the safe side, then she can help me run the DW. I let her throw a few shovels in and she loved it!

Nice picker there Shay!

Glad you got out with the family, had fun and made memrories :)

Hope you get to the bedrock soon....its getting hot.

Tom H.

Yep! It was a great time.

I'll know next Sunday if this spot is worth it or not. Suppose to be cool next week, maybe some rain on Monday so I gotta get to work before my hole gets filled in!

Nice color Shea. How come you didn't bring your helper the last time we went, she looks like she could rake up a storm.

Can't wait till you get to bedrock to see what's there.

Old Tom

I agree Old Tom I think Shay just got the sluff off the top in that photo cant wait to see whats at boulder level. I usally just shovel of the top off but some may argue that. In shallow wash like that I think most of the gold is at or near bedrock. and I also agree about your beutiful daughter keep her out of the dust blow. regardless of valley fever to much dust is not good. Good luck Shay. AzNuggetBob

Say Shea, Is that fire up there bothering you at all? They say that the embers are coming down all over the place. That's some rugged country where it is raging.

Old Tom

Say Shea, Is that fire up there bothering you at all? They say that the embers are coming down all over the place. That's some rugged country where it is raging.

Old Tom

Tom, No embers in Sedona yet. But it is very smokey. The embers are coming down in Flagstaff and the surrounding areas. Last night the winds shifted towards Sedona. It's not looking good. They are also doing an intense search for a suspected arsonist.

Fire crews are having a hell of a time because of the steep canyon walls.

Heres a couple pictures on my way into Uptown sedona for work this morning.

post-27032-0-19705700-1400770961_thumb.jpost-27032-0-13066300-1400770971_thumb.j

Yep Shey looking at your photo that is a Levi's rivit, and yes there is somthing that does outlast Levi's. :D AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

Yep Shey looking at your photo that is a Levi's rivit, and yes there is somthing that does outlast Levi's. :D AzNuggetBob

I like finding that old timer stuff, and I like finding the gold they missed!

Goin back on Sunday to see whats hiding under that big boulder. Should be interesting...

It's great to see your little mining assistant helping out. I started both of mine out at the same age. I had them walk a mile for every year old

they were. Now my oldest kick my butt. They'll always remember those adventures. Here's a tip for when they're that little, and you want to keep

them near, but clear of any digging, and still keep you eye on them, but keep them interested and busy...... Just get good old horsehoe magnet and

a bowl, and have them gather magnetite. Works like a charm.

Ben

Well, went back out and got down to bedrock. The gravel under the boulder on bedrock was compacted, hard as heck to dig out and clean from all the cracks. Took me all day to move that stupid boulder and clean off the bedrock.

Got twenty buckets of dirt. Half of it was kinda moist and required drying then I stomped around on it a little to break the soft clay up.

Also had some problems with the DW, lost some gasket material under the tray and had to keep messing with it to get a good puff action.

I did get just as much gold from 20 buckets on bedrock as I did from 40 of the overburden.

1.2 grams total for 60 buckets. Doesn't seem worth the hard work this spot requires. I'll be moving on to more shallow ground downstream.

Though I bet there is still some gold in my tailings considering the gravel composition and my DW problems, I'll probly rerun them when I go back to prospect downstream just to see if I missed anything

All in all I had fun moving some dirt and gained a bunch of drywashing experience points.

Here's a couple pics during the day:

My daughter cleaning out the classifier between runs
post-27032-0-23596400-1401336390_thumb.j

Victory!

post-27032-0-50605200-1401336427_thumb.j

post-27032-0-43306400-1401336555_thumb.j

Shea,what do you expect to find in the middle of that bolder? I think that your daughter has a better idea in messing with the smaller ones. I noticed that she has her mask on bud, that's a great idea, keep her safe. Glad to see you are having fun and getting some gold to boot. Mentioning boots, are they the new ones?

Old Tom

That looks so cool watchin your daughter working that grizzly with a mask on, the next generation, well trained Shea. hope ya find some gold and I know your goin to have some fun.. on the boots, they look look like what I use Bates?. AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

That pic of your daughter is worth gold! :)

Dang dood, your one worken fool splitting that boulder.

Well, at least you got some gold out of it. And know where not to DW :)
Good going.

Tom H.

Thanks guys, we had a great time out there. My daughter said she wants her own drywasher. I'm gonna have to build here a little mini one. She wants to run my DW even at the house every day. Shes hooked! She also has to hold any gold we find.

As far as the boots those are the metal free New Balance I picked up from LA Police Gear, light, comfy and breath well. Can't beat that for $35.

those are the metal free New Balance I picked up from LA Police Gear, light, comfy and breath well. Can't beat that for $35.

I missed that deal, tried to get a pair ..... Looks like your having fun drywashing, and I agree. I would like to see you hitting a gram for every 20 buckets

• 6 months later...