Nugget Shooter Forums

Arizona trip, the skunk, lesson learned, and??s

Hi all, last weekend I made a bonsai trip to Arizona from Las Vegas. I made it to the gpaa claims in LSD. Was able to detect a few hours before I got dark. I was amazed to find so much trash in an area I figured has been hit so hard. Using my new Garrett ATX btw. I slept in the yukon. Woke up early and decided to drive to greaterville area( I like exploring) detected there for several hours and found some more trash. Explored some nearby ranges and figured my best bet was to head back up to LSD, sleep, detect for a few hours in the morning and get back to Vegas in time for mother's day. Found a couple of perfect looking drainages with quartz, schist, ironstone, red dirt and lots of trash. I figured a good wash because if it had been detected there wouldn't be much trash. No obvious signs of previous drywashing. The trash was under overburden on bedrock. The ATX worked great on finding trash some relatively deep.

Lessons

1 don't spread myself so thin. Pick a single area don't waste gas.

2 research area

Questions

1 is trash good sign or bad sign?

2 is it wise to sample pan a wash first to look for color before detecting? The area looked awesome with mineralization.

3 how spotty is gold in known areas, hard to tell if the wash was cleaned out or just never had gold.

Any advice is always appreciated

Thanks Chris

Photo is last nugget I found out of my hole in Johnnie. Still looking for that first free range nugget!!

post-26180-0-05704200-1400213620_thumb.j

Nice nugget ,yep trash has always been mans downfall,and a detectorists nightmare. Desert garbage distribution by flash flood is indeed intriguing ,baffling and perplexing. If the area doesn't produce, we all have different patience levels and needs, get out. Some folks happy with $50 a day--some $100--others more--MUCH more whenever possible. In mining it's called the Prudent man rule-is a claim good enough that a prudent man working hard could support himself from his labors. I abide by that rule and have been a much happier miner-John

Yes you are correct.
Do yer best to stay in an area and spend time detecting, it sounded like you barely parked the vehicle then took off for another destination.
Trash can be good. If yer detectin it in a known gold area it means nobody did before you or they started an gave up an moved on. Could be productive.
Patience and perseverance are the keys to being successful, the rest will fall in place.
HAPY HUNTN

Generally the easier it is to get to a known area, the harder it has been hit. If you don't have to walk there you can bet folks have been detecting it since the late 1980s. Lots of modern garbage is a sign of this. I have been in places in both the Bradshaw and Weaver mountains where there are so many old bean cans from the 1920s-1930s I thought I would scream. But some of these areas turned out to be good nugget producers.

As far as sampling before detecting, I don't feel it is neccessary. Gold nuggets are always "spotty," unless you luck into a new patch or reef. Nuggetshooting is the most difficult form of metal detecting there is in my opinion. Skittering from one spot to another after a couple of hours rarely pays off. You need to find a likely area and grid it patiently - however long that takes. I have worked and raked off small 100' x 100' areas for several days at a time in the past.

Skittering from one spot to another after a couple of hours rarely pays off. You need to find a likely area and grid it patiently - however long that takes. I have worked and raked off small 100' x 100' areas for several days at a time in the past.

Great advice! :112: