Nugget Shooter Forums

New Guy in Phoenix

TomAZ

Hey all, new to Arizona and new to detecting.

A little over a year ago my partner and I (21 years last Sunday) were living just north of Dallas (both born and bred there) and got the bug to do some metal detecting. We bought an AT Pro to learn on and then a Sand Shark for a visit to Galveston. We only found a pocketful of change and plenty of trash, but we were hooked!

Soon after, my partner got transferred to Colorado Springs so I sold my carpet cleaning business and off we went, detectors in storage. 8 months later and he got a great job offer here in Phoenix so we packed it all up again and here we are. Finally starting to get a normal life going again, unpacked the detectors and are looking forward to discovering the great American southwest.

The problem is we don't have a clue where it is legal to detect here for gold, relics or even junk! Can somebody let me know where I can find the info to get us started? We live on the far north side of Phoenix.

Thanks and I hope to learn enough to contribute to this forum someday! :)

Edited by TomAZ

The problem is we don't have a clue where it is legal to detect here for gold, relics or even junk! Can somebody let me know where I can find the info to get us started? We live on the far north side of Phoenix.

Since you're a fellow HD and Patriot Guard rider I guess I'll go ahead and spill the beans… most here are going to strongly recommend that you join a club. I would agree with that advice if you don't have the time or knowledge to do your own research, and want a little guidance by somebody with a some experience. If you do have the time to do your own research, and are somewhat knowledgable in how to use google and other data gathering mechanisms, then pretty much everything you ever wanted to know about Arizona gold can be found on the internet with the right search terms.

With that said… here's a club that I've heard good things about, and from past research have numerous claims in areas that you'd most likely be interested in detecting. There are other clubs, but this is the one I most generally see when researching claims in areas I'm interested in detecting.

http://roadrunnergold.com

You'll find that the government can be your friend when it comes to researching areas to detect for gold. Here's a couple bulletins to get you started on some reading. There's tons more information available sprinkled all over the internet… ya just gotta dig for it.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/1355/report.pdf

http://www.azgs.az.gov/Mineral%20Scans/gold_bull168_ocr.pdf

One more thing… if you ever buy a gold book, this is one book you definitely want to own. It's written by one of the guys here on the forum who is very knowledgable in gold prospecting, mining, and detecting. I've had my copy for about 3 years now and I'm still reading it. :arrowheadsmiley:

http://nevada-outback-gems.com/goldbook.htm

Good luck and happy hunting….

Edited by azblackbird
  • Like 1

Since you're a fellow HD and Patriot Guard rider I guess I'll go ahead and spill the beans… most here are going to strongly recommend that you join a club. I would agree with that advice if you don't have the time or knowledge to do your own research, and want a little guidance by somebody with a some experience. If you do have the time to do your own research, and are somewhat knowledgable in how to use google and other data gathering mechanisms, then pretty much everything you ever wanted to know about Arizona gold can be found on the internet with the right search terms.

With that said… here's a club that I've heard good things about, and from past research have numerous claims in areas that you'd most likely be interested in detecting. There are other clubs, but this is the one I most generally see when researching claims in areas I'm interested in detecting.

http://roadrunnergold.com

You'll find that the government can be your friend when it comes to researching areas to detect for gold. Here's a couple bulletins to get you started on some reading. There's tons more information available sprinkled all over the internet… ya just gotta dig for it.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/1355/report.pdf

http://www.azgs.az.gov/Mineral%20Scans/gold_bull168_ocr.pdf

One more thing… if you ever buy a gold book, this is one book you definitely want to own. It's written by one of the guys here on the forum who is very knowledgable in gold prospecting, mining, and detecting. I've had my copy for about 3 years now and I'm still reading it. :arrowheadsmiley:

http://nevada-outback-gems.com/goldbook.htm

Good luck and happy hunting….

Hey azblackbird,

Wow, thanks for all the great info and recommendations!

"ya just gotta dig for it." ... That's what it's all about, right? :action-smiley-068[1]:

Ride safe, friend.

Welcome Tom, you the guy from HD forum?

Hey Bill, yep, that's me.

I sure am glad I ran into you over there since we had all but given up on detecting due to bad info on the internet. And thanks for directing me to your site, after browsing around last night I can tell that you folks really know your stuff. Being semi-retired I have plenty of time to start soaking up this knowledge and get my hands dirty!

Also, I was pleasantly surprised to see you have a shop just 30 minutes from us. We definitely need to visit you to get outfitted and to replace our Sand Shark with something more suitable for nugget shooting.

Talk to you soon, and thanks again!

• Like 1

Wow, thanks for all the great info and recommendations!

"ya just gotta dig for it." ... That's what it's all about, right? :action-smiley-068[1]:

Ride safe, friend.

I'm HDless at the moment so haven't been riding street. Sold it last October to concentrate more on dirt riding and gold prospecting. Had a 2010 Ultra, when the '14's came out I fell in love. Thought I'd better dump what I had and get a decent price for it, then wait a year or so for somebody's blinged out '14 to '15 garage queen to fall in my lap. Sure would be nice to hit the gold jackpot, and then be able to walk into a dealership and pay cash for a 2015 Screaming Eagle Ultra. One can only dream! :thumbsupanim

Hang around on this board and you'll learn a lot. I lurked for a couple years just soaking up what I could. There's a lot of knowledgable people here, so don't be afraid to ask questions. I'm still kinda new to the gold prospecting game myself, but am learning more and more each day. :brows:

I'm HDless at the moment so haven't been riding street. Sold it last October to concentrate more on dirt riding and gold prospecting. Had a 2010 Ultra, when the '14's came out I fell in love. Thought I'd better dump what I had and get a decent price for it, then wait a year or so for somebody's blinged out '14 to '15 garage queen to fall in my lap. Sure would be nice to hit the gold jackpot, and then be able to walk into a dealership and pay cash for a 2015 Screaming Eagle Ultra. One can only dream! :thumbsupanim

Hang around on this board and you'll learn a lot. I lurked for a couple years just soaking up what I could. There's a lot of knowledgable people here, so don't be afraid to ask questions. I'm still kinda new to the gold prospecting game myself, but am learning more and more each day. :brows:

Sorry to hear about your HDless... ness. I just got my '14 Road King and can't imagine giving it up. Hopefully, you will hit that mother lode, lol!

I know I'm really gonna "dig" detecting since I've always been a 'seeker' ... cool looking rocks when I was a kid, golf balls later when I worked as a golf marshal to facilitate my golf addiction (I've since recovered) and now my Harley to seek out what's around that next bend in the road.

But, I don't expect to find a monetary fortune detecting (although, it would be nice :yesss: ) ... the older I get the more I think the true riches are found in the hunt.

BTW, I've already started digging into the info links you provided, fascinating stuff, thanks again!

Sorry to hear about your HDless... ness. I just got my '14 Road King and can't imagine giving it up. Hopefully, you will hit that mother lode, lol!

No biggie… I'll get another HD (or something) in due time. Besides... I've probably ridden every road worth riding west of the Mississippi at least once or twice. Spent 3 years riding this rig all over the country back when I had the time and money to take off for several months here and there and ride. Sometimes a guy can just get burnt out riding. Toured a little bit on the Harley, but nothing like we did on the Wing. Time to concentrate on finding gold this time around before I get too old to ride in the dirt. Glad I could help. If you need some info on good roads to ride here in AZ, let me know. My favorite is hwy 191 aka "the devils highway" from Clifton up to Alpine. Nice fun twisty road.

herstuf.jpg

No biggie… I'll get another HD (or something) in due time. Besides... I've probably ridden every road worth riding west of the Mississippi at least once or twice. Spent 3 years riding this rig all over the country back when I had the time and money to take off for several months here and there and ride. Sometimes a guy can just get burnt out riding. Toured a little bit on the Harley, but nothing like we did on the Wing. Time to concentrate on finding gold this time around before I get too old to ride in the dirt. Glad I could help. If you need some info on good roads to ride here in AZ, let me know. My favorite is hwy 191 aka "the devils highway" from Clifton up to Alpine. Nice fun twisty road.

herstuf.jpg

Thank you, sir and happy hunting!

P.S.... funny plate!

Thank you, sir and happy hunting!

P.S.... funny plate!

When traveling with a woman cross country a month or two at a time, you can see how having a tow along storage device would be beneficial. I couldn't afford the UPS bills shipping clothes, and the various knick-knacks a woman invariably has to buy whenever we stopped along the road. I figured once she filled it up, it was time to head for home. :yikes:

BD ... Whered ya hear that? ... No such thing as gold in the Bradshaw's ... pretty rocks, hiking trails and a few atv trails but not a trace of gold anywhere in the Bradshaw's! :idunno::brows::200::inocent:

Mike F ... Just a little north of the Bradshaw's

Edited by Mike Furness

BD ... Whered ya hear that? ... No such thing as gold in the Bradshaw's ... pretty rocks, hiking trails and a few atv trails but not a trace of gold anywhere in the Bradshaw's! :idunno::brows::200::inocent:

Mike F ... Just a little north of the Bradshaw's

I heard theres detectable trash in the bradshaws....EVERY GULLY! :)

Tom H.