Nugget Shooter Forums

My hubby in front of a Malachite rock, photo taken yesterday in DRC.

10170906_4234822124369_38752571416210968

If you can collect it , anything you get more then 1/4 inch is money. 1/2 to one inch in good money.

Being a Major Substitute for Turquoise That stuff is money in the bag. Some is hard as the dickens. Good stuff.

Edited by homefire

:ROFL: holy moly man now that's a monster. Gotta ask though-DRC??? That thang'll keep a whole lotts folks slabbing for years,thanx much for the pic-John :4chsmu1:

Amazing, When I was at Tucson the Malachite from the DRC was all over the place.... very good looking material

Thanx au,that's what I thought, but thought I'd better ask a dumb question than misquote. . Man alive that's one of the most dangerous spots on the planet though. John

Penny,

Great post, refresh my memory pro favor. Is your hubby in mining or oil?? Just wondering. and what do they do with the Malachite?? Export to US, China, Mongolia, Compton, Ca?????

Mining, well that one went to the crusher, UNFOTUNATELY!

Yea John its pretty crazy place to live, especially with two teen girls. We were not allowed to pack heat

over there, had to go to Kenya and purchase Masai spears, Blowdarts and Clubs :D.

Hubby wants me to come back to live with him again there, was worried about going back... they might

not let me back in USA after all the fussing I been doing online about our Gov.

Mining, well that one went to the crusher, UNFOTUNATELY!

I am guessing they can make more on it buy selling rough "baubleite"?

6" or less "classifier"?

It's certainly easier to ship when you can pour it out into a 50 pound bag or "half-yard" sack to be offloaded easily from a flatbed trailer by a "taildragger" forklift.

My hubby in front of a Malachite rock, photo taken yesterday in DRC.

10170906_4234822124369_38752571416210968

If you don't mind, inquiring minds need to gather some sense of scale, so if it's not too personal, what is the height of the esteemed geologist/mining engineer in the picture( for reference sake.)

:old: I propose a contest to guess the weight( to the nearest ton) of the pictured specimen ( maybe a crane had ahold of it( the "avionics" of the crane giving you a rough estimate of the weight on the end of the cable).........

...or did a dozer just roll it off to the crusher?

As it has yet to be brought up( and I am curious on the geologic aspects) there seem to be two(general) types of jade: jadeite and nephrite. Jadeite having a density ranging around 3.3ish ,while Nephrite is lower @ 3.0.

I assume the boulder was Jadeite, yes? Or was any distinction made( or needed?)

Visually, my readings tell me that Jadeite is more glassy and vitreous compared to Jadeite's waxy/greasy look.

Edited by weaver hillbille

He's 3' 6" he's going to bring the rock home so he can play on it in the front yard. I'm going to have to get my copy of The Book of Mormon and read up on the Jadites and Neferites Mom told me they were very virtuous.

Ok all kidding aside. Jeff is 5 foot 11. I think they most likely just drug it off to the crusher. I have smaller specimens of Congo Malachite here at home that looks very similar to this big guy ( the rock I mean )If I were living in the Congo right now I Guarantee that rock would go in my back yard and I'd spend my day's trying to get as big of chunks as I could off of it to bring home....

:idunno: I guess 40 tons -based on 3.3 times the density water ,14 yd^3 Jade and a 6 foot GEologist ....

Vsphere=4/3 x PIE x r^3

Edited by weaver hillbille

NOT jade,it's malachite. With 2 teen daughters the last place I'd ever take them is the DRC. 12,800 lbs would be my guess. NO WEAPONS wow now that is insane...spears/darts against a ak/klas,not only NO but LL no. . :nutty: John

Derp, I wasn't even looking at the title,John- just dazzled by a big green bauble scrambling my brain.

NOT jade,it's malachite.

Jaw dropping mind boggling monster have a habit of doing it to me too. I've refused many african ops over the years and each and every time I was absolutely amazed at what happened to others-no not never for me-John

Malachite cutting material by the pound isn't that cheap either, if that's solid it must be worth several thousand.

Hey Hoser, we had some pretty tight security over there. My husband and I chose to learn the Swahili language rather

than Belgian French.

I read all the history I could get my hands on previous to moving over there. King of Belgian Leopold was the

man behind Congo being Colonized, he was an evil man.

Read King Leopold's Ghost.

Learning Swahili went a long way to gaining respect from the Congolese, we made a lot of friends!