Nugget Shooter Forums

Detecting and drywashing

TomH

Hey all:
Welp, went out today and enjoyed the day!
Nice weather, met up with Shay and Ken to do some detecting. Ran the beepers the first half of the day and got a lot of really nice junk :) Which is amazing being that this area has been under claims for a loooong time. We found a open spot inbetween claims. Oh well, thats the way it goes.

The ground was ripe for gold. Lots of contact zones, schist, ironstone, minerization all over, and trumpet plants.

Ken took off to cook some ribs or something so Shay and I went drywashing.

Shay found a spot that looked good. Im playing with the GB 2 on bedrock and Shay is vacing up dirt. I here him say...hey Tom...look at this...go over and he points out a nice little picker in the bedrock :)
Sweet! I think he ran about 4 buckets in his new KEENE puffer and got some nice pickers out of it. I sucked up two buckets and got some beautiful lead shot...and some flyspeck gold.

Was a great day out with friends.
Good Lord blessed us with some gold and good times :)
Enjoy
Tom H.

post-25308-0-26513300-1399858446_thumb.j

post-25308-0-60263500-1399858453_thumb.j

post-25308-0-23163400-1399858460_thumb.j

post-25308-0-02606200-1399858467_thumb.j

post-25308-0-89338300-1399858476_thumb.j

post-25308-0-70548000-1399858485_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hey Tom

That's fantastic! What a great sounding trip you guys had ....Can I get you guys to start running more buckets :4chsmu1:

I just rolled in myself actually... The Toyota broke down in El Centro, then I restarted it, and then I never had a problem again.....That's a Toyota !

Thanks for bringing the vacumm Tom! I really like cleaning bedrock with one of those. :brows:

This was my test run with the new DW, got more like 7 buckets through it. Plenty to find out if it was working. Next weekend I'll see what I can get though it in one day.

Here's some close ups of the DW finds, and the nice little bedrock picker.post-27032-0-70506700-1399864048_thumb.jpost-27032-0-06709700-1399864061_thumb.j

Had lots of fun the Tom and his Dad today, can't wait to do it again sometime!

Yup.....good times!
You had the DW dialed in right off the bat finding that smaller micro gold like that :)

You do have a little rewireing to do :O

I think BD and Adam get about 150 a day....see if you can beat that :)
Tom H.

Ya! I was suprised how small of stuff it held onto. Real excited with the test run.

As far as Wade and Adam go, I'll be happy to run half of what one of them do.

Although, moving rocks is a good time to me. So I'll give it my best shot.

Adam you and your love hate with Toyota, ok I love them more than I hate them. :D

BTW Shay IF the gold is that good were you are and its got some clay you could always run it through an rotory impact mill first??? works great dry, but not wet. AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

I like it when someone just walks up and points out them nice pickers,tell'm to come around more often :brows: . Been driving toyotas since 1975,owned as many as 3 at once and NEVER EVER left me walking a single time. Just like a good woman ya gotta treat'm right or they'll abandon you :cry2: -John

Tom that area looks great for gold. Kinda weird your finding so much trash. Is it buried or surface trash? Im talking out of the wash as it will rebury itself fast in the wash.. also you heard of any good deals on a older 4runner? Im thinking about getting rid of my 460 ford 3/4 T . AzNuggetBob

Tom that area looks great for gold. Kinda weird your finding so much trash. Is it buried or surface trash? Im talking out of the wash as it will rebury itself fast in the wash.. also you heard of any good deals on a older 4runner? Im thinking about getting rid of my 460 ford 3/4 T . AzNuggetBob

The bullets on the sides of the hills were mixed, some an inch down and some on the surface. The other trash on the side hills, boot tacks and such were 1-2 inches deep, but old.

Will PM you about 4 runners.

Tom

The bullets on the sides of the hills were mixed, some an inch down and some on the surface. The other trash on the side hills, boot tacks and such were 1-2 inches deep, but old.

Will PM you about 4 runners.

Tom

Same for me, the bullets on the hillsides were about an inch down. In the wash, the tiny little benches on the sides had boot tacks and old nails laying on bedrock just a few inches down. Whomever had gone through that wash in the past neglected to hit the sides.

The 5th picture is worth a 1000 words. Transition is the main word. This looks like a place Trinityau was referring too in the pocket gold post in the prospecting forum...pretty nice place Tom... :arrowheadsmiley:

That 5th picture looks like somebody took a dozer and pushed some dirt around at one time or another. Would that be the Rich Hill area? :idunno:

Actually, no one ever thinks about this area. I found some old placer maps of AZ :reading: and noticed in the 1800's there was placer mining right here in my back yard of Cottonwood on the foothills of Mingus Mountain. Thats my secret though... :5bat:

Hard part was getting Tom to drive all the way up here... But I told him that Toyota gets way better mileage than my Bronco. :brows:

Actually, no one ever thinks about this area. I found some old placer maps of AZ :reading: and noticed in the 1800's there was placer mining right here in my back yard of Cottonwood on the foothills of Mingus Mountain.

There were placers all over that area. If you live in Cottonwood, you've got bookoo areas to choose from all within a 25 mile radius. Enough to keep you occupied for many years to come. :arrowheadsmiley:

There were placers all over that area. If you live in Cottonwood, you've got bookoo areas to choose from all within a 25 mile radius. Enough to keep you occupied for many years to come. :arrowheadsmiley:

I do live in Cottonwood. The map I found showed three placers near the airport to Clarkdale. So far I have been able to find one of them. They mined out the mouth of the canyon mainly, someone dug a deep hole under 15' of alluvium to get the placer material underneath. There was still grizzlys laying around in the wash also. I took samples from the layer on bedrock, bedrock cracks and some bench material. Not a speck in any of them, a little farther up the wash I found some large dry wash piles. Soon I am going to hike much farther up the wash and see what I can find. There has got to still be some yellow there somewhere.

Actually, no one ever thinks about this area. I found some old placer maps of AZ :reading: and noticed in the 1800's there was placer mining right here in my back yard of Cottonwood on the foothills of Mingus Mountain. Thats my secret though... :5bat:

Hard part was getting Tom to drive all the way up here... But I told him that Toyota gets way better mileage than my Bronco. :brows:

OH dont you worry...when its hot down here...ill be up there :)
Tom H.

Is that a quartze vein running across the bottom of pic 5?

Rim:

Thats just some lighter material. There were a lot of rotten quartz veins in that area though.

Tom H.

That 5th picture looks like somebody took a dozer and pushed some dirt around at one time or another. Would that be the Rich Hill area? :idunno:

Yes, closer toward dolamite mnt though.

Tom H.

I do live in Cottonwood. The map I found showed three placers near the airport to Clarkdale. So far I have been able to find one of them.

Don't know whether or not you have these bulletins and maps, but here's some info that might be of some help in the geological aspect. If you already have these, then just disregard.

http://pubs.er.usgs.gov/djvu/B/bull_782.pdf

http://mines.az.gov/DigitalLibrary/usbm_ic/USBMIC8236IronResInAz.pdf

http://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/1021n/report.pdf

http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/Prodesc/proddesc_4290.htm

Like I said. There's enough ground (and gold) to be found in your area to keep you busy for several years. :4chsmu1:

Don't know whether or not you have these bulletins and maps, but here's some info that might be of some help in the geological aspect. If you already have these, then just disregard.

http://pubs.er.usgs.gov/djvu/B/bull_782.pdf

http://mines.az.gov/DigitalLibrary/usbm_ic/USBMIC8236IronResInAz.pdf

http://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/1021n/report.pdf

http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/Prodesc/proddesc_4290.htm

Like I said. There's enough ground (and gold) to be found in your area to keep you busy for several years. :4chsmu1:

Hey thanks. I have only seen that first report. Wish I could take a detector into Sycamore Canyon. :aw-shucks:

I like drywashing

I like washing clothes.