Nugget Shooter Forums

Meteor Shower Viewing Gold Basin December 13 and 14, 2014

Hello meteor shower viewers and meteorite hunters. It is time to select another event day and this year the only weekend meteor shower will be The Geminids on December 12-14.

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/earthskys-meteor-shower-guide#geminids

This is one of the most well known showers so there should be plenty to see.

This year I think the viewing will be better in Gold Basin. There are many places to camp and clubs in the area. As we get closer to the weekend of the event we'll select a central location.

During the days we will hunt for the famous Gold Basin meteorites and we may even get lucky with some gold. Last year on a 'pre-trip' to Franconia I found a nice specimen! :)

I encourage you to get out and see some of the other meteor showers happening during the week this year. The moon is to be of little problem from what I read.

All comments and suggestions welcome.

Mitchel

• 4 weeks later...

Nice I will be there. Found a basin meteorite on the other side on mountain yesterday. It is more toward the front. Looks like I need to hunt more to the front and along the mountains more often.

Hi Mitchel,

I would be interested in that. I've camped at the GPAA claims on a few outings, and some other spots

further south. Never been there when there was a meteor shower. Cool.

Ben

• 1 month later...

Now that I got me a GMT ?I plan on making this outing , just got to get a hitch on my van so I can bring my ranger......will bring telescope too.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hope John and Twink will both be there. I've never met John but found meteorites on his property because I belong to a different club that he give permission to there.

• 2 months later...

We just got back from a GB outing and it does have a dark enough sky for viewing on a moonless night. It is better than Franconia.

There is another 'outing' that same weekend in Quartzite. We could go there or stay at GB.

I'm told The Q is not as dark a sky but there could be more gold at the Q but no meteorites to hunt.

Who would attend GB? Who would attend Quartzite?

Hi Mitchel,

If I had to choose, I think Gold basin has the darker sky that would be better for watching

a meteor shower. And Quartzite has a lot of light pollution anymore. Don't yet know if Erik

and I can get out there that weekend. Thanks for the heads up.

Ben

• 3 weeks later...

It is time to get an idea of who would like to go to the basin. I probably won't make it until Saturday night but I'd stay Sunday and most of Monday.

It's a late night shower so if you like that sort of thing dress warmly and stay out or point your car toward the proper area and sit inside.

http://earthsky.org/space/everything-you-need-to-know-geminid-meteor-shower#moonlight

I think Gold basin has the darkest sky.

The field of view in Gold Basin is not as wide as where we were last year in Franconia,

Quartzite has a lot of light pollution and noise pollution being so close to the freeway and the town.

I might be able to make it to Gold basin or Franconia. (Still trying to get out of something that weekend)

Quartzite is a No vote for me.

Hello,

I'm new on here and would be interested in getting to know some of you folks and learning the ropes as best I can. I assume you have a club that you belong to or do you just get together? If a club would it be open to new members? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks and any replies would be much appreciated.

Ben

Ben,

We sound like we are going to have a small 'group' that will be viewing. All of us just like to get together and watch some good meteors and hunt for meteorites. You are welcome. All are welcome.

I'll probably be coming just after dark on that Saturday. (Something is keeping me here until noon on Saturday.) I've been to Gold Basin many times and I know how to get to the GPAA camping area. The best viewing should be in the middle of the night just before the moon rises.

We'll probably stay in the car (weather permitting) and we'll be hunting on Sunday.

Speaking of weather, cold is not a problem but clear skies are important. I probably won't go to GB if it is raining.

I'll keep this thread working and we'll be checking the weather.

Mitchel

Thanks for the response Mitchel. I am going to try hard to get out there, I would enjoy meeting you and talking. Can you tell me the section you will be staying at? I live just a few miles from the GPAA claims. Thanks, and I'm looking forward to meeting you.

Ben

I'm keeping an eye on the weather just to know about this Saturday night.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/geminids-meteor-shower-peaks-saturday-night/41472/

As the article says, you don't have to wait to see them. I went out at sunset on the beach and stayed out hunting with my metal detector and about 45 minutes after it got dark I saw a big meteor going from South to North. Someone reported they saw it for 7 seconds ... I saw it for about 3.

It was not going very fast and then it broke into a few pieces and went 'out' so it is some place in Los Angeles County.

Mitchel

Ben,

The section for the GPAA camping is 20 and 30. We follow the GPAA signs out past the landing for the helicopters and it is right in the middle of the trail.

The weather seems like it will be iffy but we will be coming because the forecast is for clear skies on Sunday so at some point in the night it has to clear.

I saw a very nice meteor in Santa Monica two nights ago. It lasted for 3 seconds that I saw and then it broke up and 'went out' of sight. Another report stated they watched it for 7 seconds. It was not that big but a great view from where I was. It is stated to be an early Geminid so maybe it will be good on Saturday night.

Mitchel

Today in Golden Valley it is cloudy , was going to try to make it but with infection and such I guess I am going to miss this one too.

Have 3 telescopes I was bringing.