Nugget Shooter Forums

Beryl in Arizona

Anyone have any luck collecting beryl here? Not looking for a spot.. maybe some pictures? I noticed the State mining website has a pamphlet called "BERYL - A Unique Opportunity for the Prospector and Small Mine Operator" According to my web research I could only find one area that may contain Beryl.

Thanks

Anthony

that's easy :brows:

http://www.mindat.org/minloclist.php?m=819&l=31279

i haven't found any- that's not easy :th:

Beryl from White Picacho District, Yavapai Co., Arizona, USA USA
  • Arizona
  • Yavapai Co.
Jahns, Richard H. (1952), Pegmatite Deposits of the White Picacho District, Maricopa and Yavapai Counties, Arizona, Arizona Bureau of Mines Bull. 162; Anthony, J.W., et al (1995), Mineralogy of Arizona, 3rd.ed.: 134; Meeves, et al (1966), Recon. of beryllium-bearing pegmatite deposits in six western states, US Bur. of Mines Info Circ. 8298.
  • Independence Gulch
Jahns, R.H. (1952), AZ Bur. Mines Bull. 162: 104-105; Meeves, H., et al (1966), Reconnaissance of beryllium-bearing pegmatite deposits in six western states, US Bur. Mines Info. Circ. 8298: 21 (Table A-1). Jahns, R.H. (1952), AZ Bur. Mines Bull. 162: 103-104; Meeves, H., et al (1966), Reconnaissance of beryllium-bearing pegmatite deposits in six western states, US Bur. Mines Info. Circ. 8298: 21 (Table A-1). Jahns, R.H. (1952), Pegmatite deposits of the White Picacho district, Maricopa and Yavapai Cos., AZ, AZ Bur. Mines Bull. 162: 65, 98-103; Meeves, H., et al (1966), Reconnaissance of beryllium-bearing pegmatite deposits in six western states, US Bur. Mines Info. Circ. 8298: 22 (Table A-1). Jahns, R.H. (1952), AZ Bur. Mines Bull. 162: 103; Meeves, H., et al (1966), Reconnaissance of beryllium-bearing pegmatite deposits in six western states, US Bur. Mines Info. Circ. 8298: 21 (Table A-1).
  • Mitchell Wash
Jahns, Richard H. (1952), AZ Bur. of Mines Bull. 162: 84-86; Meeves, H., et al (1966), Reconnaissance of beryllium-bearing pegmatite deposits in six western states, US Bur. Mines Info. Circ. 8298: 22 (Table A-1). MRDS database Dep. ID #10096079, MRDS ID #TC38960.
  • San Domingo Wash
Jahns, R.H. (1952), Pegmatite Deposits of the White Picacho District, Maricopa and Yavapai Cos., AZ, AZ Bur. Mines Bull. 162: 93-96; Meeves, H., et al (1966), Reconnaissance of beryllium-bearing pegmatite deposits in six western states, US Bur. Mines Info. Circ. 8298: 22 (Table A-1).

that's easy :brows:

http://www.mindat.org/minloclist.php?m=819&l=31279

i haven't found any- that's not easy :th:

Beryl from White Picacho District, Yavapai Co., Arizona, USA USA
  • Arizona
  • Yavapai Co.
Jahns, Richard H. (1952), Pegmatite Deposits of the White Picacho District, Maricopa and Yavapai Counties, Arizona, Arizona Bureau of Mines Bull. 162; Anthony, J.W., et al (1995), Mineralogy of Arizona, 3rd.ed.: 134; Meeves, et al (1966), Recon. of beryllium-bearing pegmatite deposits in six western states, US Bur. of Mines Info Circ. 8298.
  • Independence Gulch
Jahns, R.H. (1952), AZ Bur. Mines Bull. 162: 104-105; Meeves, H., et al (1966), Reconnaissance of beryllium-bearing pegmatite deposits in six western states, US Bur. Mines Info. Circ. 8298: 21 (Table A-1).Jahns, R.H. (1952), AZ Bur. Mines Bull. 162: 103-104; Meeves, H., et al (1966), Reconnaissance of beryllium-bearing pegmatite deposits in six western states, US Bur. Mines Info. Circ. 8298: 21 (Table A-1).Jahns, R.H. (1952), Pegmatite deposits of the White Picacho district, Maricopa and Yavapai Cos., AZ, AZ Bur. Mines Bull. 162: 65, 98-103; Meeves, H., et al (1966), Reconnaissance of beryllium-bearing pegmatite deposits in six western states, US Bur. Mines Info. Circ. 8298: 22 (Table A-1).Jahns, R.H. (1952), AZ Bur. Mines Bull. 162: 103; Meeves, H., et al (1966), Reconnaissance of beryllium-bearing pegmatite deposits in six western states, US Bur. Mines Info. Circ. 8298: 21 (Table A-1).
  • Mitchell Wash
Jahns, Richard H. (1952), AZ Bur. of Mines Bull. 162: 84-86; Meeves, H., et al (1966), Reconnaissance of beryllium-bearing pegmatite deposits in six western states, US Bur. Mines Info. Circ. 8298: 22 (Table A-1).MRDS database Dep. ID #10096079, MRDS ID #TC38960.
  • San Domingo Wash
Jahns, R.H. (1952), Pegmatite Deposits of the White Picacho District, Maricopa and Yavapai Cos., AZ, AZ Bur. Mines Bull. 162: 93-96; Meeves, H., et al (1966), Reconnaissance of beryllium-bearing pegmatite deposits in six western states, US Bur. Mines Info. Circ. 8298: 22 (Table A-1).

Thanks, I seemed to have missed this one.. One report I read from the early 40s talked about crystals up to 12" in length. Wouldn't that be nice. Guess I'll have to put some boots on the ground.

The White Picacho district has some of the largest crystals in the world. Some of them run to the dozens of feet. There is Beryl to be found just a few miles up Castle Hot Springs road. To the north about a mile after the road turns towards the east there are huge crystals of several minerals. The Beryl I found was far from gem quality but the barrels were clearly identifiable and fairly large.

Check the land status up there, if you find anything of value it would belong to the claim owner, when there is one.

You are right homie. Emeralds are a particular type of green Beryl. There are several other gemstones in the Beryl family:

Aquamarine - Blue/green variety of beryl.
Blue Beryl (Maxixe) - Deep blue beryl.
Emerald - Deep green variety of a beryl.
Goshenite - Colorless variety of beryl.
Heliodor - Yellow variety of beryl.
Morganite - Pink variety of beryl.
Red Beryl - A red gem variety of beryl, also known as 'bixbite',
Riesling Beryl - A strongly dichroic (pale green / golden yellow) beryl.
Vorobyevite - A caesium-bearing variety of beryl.
Courtesy of the new Gemdat.org. :thumbsupanim

The White Picacho district has some of the largest crystals in the world. Some of them run to the dozens of feet. There is Beryl to be found just a few miles up Castle Hot Springs road. To the north about a mile after the road turns towards the east there are huge crystals of several minerals. The Beryl I found was far from gem quality but the barrels were clearly identifiable and fairly large.

Clay… here's an area I have picked out that looks prime (at least according to what I can interpret from the geology reports) for prospecting for Beryl and possibly even gold. Sounds like we're talking about the same general area. I may be a little further north and east of where you are referencing. Anybody here want to form an exploration party and we'll check this area out? :brows:

berylprospect.jpg

Tub - upper basalts

Thu - upper hells gate dacite and rhyodacite flows

Th1 - lower hells gate flows (tertiary)

Tsd3 - Quartz-bearing rhyolite flows

Tif - felsic dikes and plugs

Tc - clastic sedimentary rocks (tertiary)

Tqz - intensely silicified rocks (tertiary)

Tlb - lower basalt, balaltic andesite, and andesitic flows (tertiary)

XS - schistose metamorphic rocks (precambrain X)

berylprospectgeology.jpg

How did you want to get there? Looks like a beautiful area.

http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=1378

http://hikearizona.com/photo.php?ZIP=56575

Wrong area WH. The area you're referencing is a trail in the Safford area. My area is north of castle hot springs road and northeast of Red Picacho peak in the White Picacho mining district. Right smack dab in the middle of a pegmatite field.

The White Picacho district embraces about 150 square miles in southern Yavapai and northern Maricopa Counties, mostly within the Wickenburg Mountains. The pegmatites occur in Precambrian igneous and metamorphic rocks that are covered in places by Tertiary volcanic and sedimentary rocks. The pegmatite exposures appear as light-colored patches and bodies in the dark-colored host rock. The exposures are from 50 feet to over 5,000 feet in strike length, averaging slightly less than 400 feet, and vary in thickness from about 1 foot to 200 feet, the average width being about 40 feet in the more bulbous varieties. Lithium minerals are the most important economic minerals, with feldspar, scrap mica, and beryl following in order of occurrence. Some columbium- tantalum and other rare minerals have been produced. Minor amounts of bismuth, copper, lead, silver, and zinc minerals are found in a few of the pegmatites, but they are of minor economic importance. Generally, the lithium-bearing pegmatites are zoned and consist of a border zone, a wall zone, up to five intermediate zones, and a core zone. Lithium minerals, beryl, and other economic minerals may be found in the wall zone and the intermediate zones; seldom are they found in the core zone. Production from 1941 to 1963 was 154,255 pounds of beryl, 40,117 tons of scrap mica, 5,900 pounds of columbium-tantalum minerals, and 60 tons of spodumene. Commercial feldspar is available at the deposits.

Edited by azblackbird

DixieQueen_A3046.jpg?itok=pbZ94tSm

DixieQueen_A3042.jpg?itok=y6B2NAbx

Beryl pics taken at the old Dixie QUeen Mine near Peeples VAlley ,AZ

http://minedata.azgs.az.gov/photo/admmr-photo-archive-file-dixie-queen-30-46

Edited by weaver hillbille

Sounds like an adventure and closer . YOu going to put a trip togetther in the FAll- gettin hot, now...

Wrong area WH. The area you're referencing is a trail in the Safford area. My area is north of castle hot springs road and northeast of Red Picacho peak in the White Picacho mining district. Right smack dab in the middle of a pegmatite field.