Nugget Shooter Forums

I thought this was interesting...

Rimshot

This is Phoenix Mine in Colorado. I feel sorry for the dude that made his final resting place there, but free burial ain't bad I guess...If you click the 1st pic you can go thru the pictures in order like this place.

http://www.abandonedmines.net/colorado/phoenix2/phoenix-mine-colorado.html

3 ounces of gold per ton isn't a bad recovery number.

Wonder why they only mine it every now and then? The

mine owners must be independently wealthy or something.

Nice post Rimshot......

Remember when that mine was started gold was some place between $16.00 and $35.00 a Oz. Yea money was worth more back then but maybe they found a better one? Got Sick and Died? Moved back East to be with Momma? Made enough money to do something else? Mining was some serious hard work back then. Things happen. They didn't have the Equipment we have today to recover the Gold was a Major thing as well. Hell now they can find hidden veins that the old guys couldn't with metal detectors. They may have skirted productive veins by inches and didn't know it.

Just my thoughts.

3 ounces of gold per ton isn't a bad recovery number.

Wonder why they only mine it every now and then? The

mine owners must be independently wealthy or something.

Nice post Rimshot......

I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with the snow pack. A buddy of mine owns a great producing silver mine in CO. He can only mine during the summer. The rest of the year it's covered with about 8 ft. of snow.

The tailings pile(dump) would be a goldmine in itself as the walls look hand done and anything under a oz in days of old was chucked as waste,now a bonanza-John :thumbsupanim