Nugget Shooter Forums

PLEASE HELP!! can anyone ID any of my minerals?

I'm a photographer with a keen interest in minerals and have recently bought a bargain collection off of ebay. I've scouted google toID what I can but I have lots more than I just can't seem to identify. If anyone can help I'd be so greatful.

Thanks in advance, Phill.

post-27201-0-96355600-1398376418_thumb.j

post-27201-0-69412500-1398376427_thumb.j

post-27201-0-15494400-1398376434_thumb.j

post-27201-0-02029200-1398376441_thumb.j

post-27201-0-31261200-1398376453_thumb.j

post-27201-0-78963600-1398376460_thumb.j

post-27201-0-09217200-1398376468_thumb.j

I'm a photographer with a keen interest in minerals and have recently bought a bargain collection off of ebay. I've scouted google toID what I can but I have lots more than I just can't seem to identify. If anyone can help I'd be so greatful.

Thanks in advance, Phill.

Photo 1 looks like Urantite. Just a Guess. Other looks like Fluorite.

Do you have a way to check for Radioactivity? A Fluorescent Light Bulb tube held within contact zone on the rock will show small blinks of light if radio active.

Thank you so much for the replies, I had a feeling number 3 was fluorite. unfortunately homefire I don't have any equipment like that, although it looks like I must invest in something like that as I'd like to be able to ID my own minerals.

Haderly, I don't mean to sound dumb but what do you mean by cleavage?

Thanks, Phill.

This is what Haderly meant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleavage_(crystal)

This might help you identify minerals too.

http://www.mindat.org/advanced_search.php

Edited by Rimshot

Thanks rimshot, very helpful. and no I don't have access to Black Light, I'm sure I could just buy a bulb off of ebay? would it be that simple to just fit the bulb into a standard lamp?

Also, I posted another topic with 3 more specimens that I can't identify, if it's not too much trouble is it ok to have a look at those too please? If you can't work out what they are it's not a problem, you've helped enough already.

You can have one cheap enough. Good for all sorts of stuff. Looking for Scorpions, Minerals in the Dry River bed, Help Identify goodies. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=portable+blacklight&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=31403018565&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10561459905973220569&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_570sf67lnz_b

Edited by homefire

Thanks Homefire, I have one on the way :) I'll be out every night now haha.

And Thanks Johnno, i've just checked your guess's and I must say, I agree with every one. Although the Rhodochrosite still looks different to my specimen, it's the closest I've seen yet so thank you very much.