Nugget Shooter Forums

Accidently bought a gun

Me and a friend were talking guns n ammo today and I mentiond that I was looking for a Ruger 77-22 mag. I didn't want to buy a new one, just a good used one. He said he has this Ruger 10-22 mag he hadn't shot in many years., He thought he had fired it a couple of times about 10 years back. He asked if I wanted to shoot it but he didn't have any ammo or a scope on it. What he brought out was this pristine 10-22 mag like new (no box or papers)

Told him I had an extra scope at the house so I mounted it and got a box of shells and we headed to the range. Got it on paper after about 10 rounds and fine tuned it at 25 yards.. What a hoot to shoot. From the SN this rifle was made 1999-2000. Not a problem with anything, .

After shooting 50 rounds and packing up he says that he really doesn't shoot that much and never did shoot this rifle much since he got it. Maybe he should sell it.

I accidently said I would take it as I had the cash in my pocket. Couldn't back out now I was committed. What was I thinking, I already have a 22 mag in a Magnum Research and a S&W mdl 48-4 w/ 8 3/8" barrel. Will change out the scope at a later time to something a little more appropriate. Maybe drop a KIDD trigger system in it witha 1 pound pull.

Will make a great addition to the small varmint shooting arsenal, I mean collection, I mean will make a nice addition to the family sounds better.

Hey dear, look what I found for you.

e&hagd

post-227-0-34992100-1398211317_thumb.jpg

Edited by Allen in MT

Well I hope you accidently have a few extra extractor's laying around. The reason ruger stopped producing them and prolly the reason the guy wasn't accidently shooting it too much... :inocent:

Nice rifle, but probably should read up on the extractor failures. It's fun to accidently buy guns. I just did the same with a 1911a1. I really missed mine of 30 years ago and just picked up another 2 days ago! Love it! Took it out did some running fire exercises and it felt like 30 years ago!

Two of my boys have had one since they were old enough to have one. (Sometime in the 1980's?) Never had any extractor problems and thousands of rounds fired.

Nice gun

Two of my boys have had one since they were old enough to have one. (Sometime in the 1980's?) Never had any extractor problems and thousands of rounds fired.

Nice gun

how can that be? Ruger made the 10/22 mag in like 2000. Very short run too. Just saying beware.

Extractor problems are all most always Gunk Build up in the chamber. I have a 10-22 with more then a few thousand rounds through it and it's never missed a shot but twice with Federal Ammo. Never Did any cleaning on it other then flush out the Bolt area with WD followed with some 3 in 1 oil. No I don't treat all my guns that way. I just wanted to see what this thing would do. It was given to me by someone that could not get around any more and already looked like it has been around the park a few times. He Loaned it out to anyone who asked. We know how that works.

This is a Rifle you could wrap in a Towl and Chuck under the seat for a Year and Expect to work when you need it. Never Store Ammo in a gun wet with WD. Never let WD any place near your Ammo.

Edited by homefire

Yeah.... the 10/22 mag had extractor and bolt issues and they are well known and documented.

Jim

A magnum version, chambered for the 22 mag cartridge, was made from 1998 to 2007. 9 years is not a very long time to produce this gun. Wonder why they just didn't fix the problem...don't make sense.

I would like to own one of these rugers. I like the style.

post-26159-0-74530700-1398273891_thumb.j

Sorry... I was thinking Long rifle...duh...

I guess when you said you sighted it in for 25 yards it threw me off. A long rifle is a 25 yards gun, not the mag in my mine. My mag is sighted in for 100 yards.

Edited by LipCa