Nugget Shooter Forums

First time out.

DryHeat

I took my Whites GMT out today. First time ever with a MD. I got skunked. I was in the field for about three hours, I know that's not long but that's all the time I had. I dug up everything that made a noise, mostly hot rocks. I can see there is a huge learning curve to this. I still had a great time. :wee:

Dean

Well I tried to give you a few links from this forum on the gmt but can't seem to find any but yours. I know its been discussed several times. AU can you or others who own a gmt help him? Settings, like with anything, are very important based upon the ground you're detecting. GL!

Actually, whenever I was using my GMT I ran it maxed out 10--10 gain and sat.
Getting used to any hot rocks in an area is just something you learn to do right away so you will be able to get beyond that issue.
Learning what they look like and sound like so you can keep on beepin for the good stuff.
I detected lots of nuggets and meteorites with mine running those settings.
I'm havin a mental fart right now cause I can'r remember the name of one of the members here that has written a book which includes advanced settings for the GMT.
Somebody will chime in with the info or I'll remember and add it to the post soon.

Thanks for the info. I started to recognize certain sounds like double zip's and would move on. I have a .43 gram nugget that I use in a gravel section of my back yard to practice with. I also put out a nail, used bullet and if I thought about it I should have brought home a hot and cold rock from this weekend.

I've watched as many video's on youtube as I can find on the GMT. It's all about time on the machine. I'll get it figured out.

Dean

Now you know first hand why over 90% give it up as nuggetshooting is the hardest,dangerous,most labor and travel intensive,along with most expensive,form of detecting there is. God I love it as it definately seperates the men from the boys......John

• Like 1

John, I'm as stuborn as they get. It's going to take alot more than getting skunked to make me quit. If I had a dollar for every time I got skunked while bass fishing.

Dean

• Like 1

Jim McCullough, is the members name I may have the last name misspelled.
Anyway he publishes an inexpensive softcover book that will get ya off runnin with the Whites GMT.
you'll DO FINE WITH THE ATTITUDE ya have hapy huntn Dean.

• Like 1

Aloha Dean, I too used to rny GMT at the 10/10 setting and eventually got it to the point I could rune it down to a setting that I was comfortable with in the end. You need to make sure you use your headphones and get your ears "trained" to hear that short/sharp zip zip of the detector. Once you get used to that sound you will almost be able to predict what you are swinging that coil over. In the end I had my GMT settings at 9/7 gain/sat if that helps. Of course these settings were primarily for gold basin and Franconia. Good luck out there and show us some pics of your finds.

Aloha and stay safe out there,

Stan aka Kaimi

Never used that machine before but I Still stand with Learn your machine and it will talk to you. With a VLF like a Garrett Old S3 or ADS, you can learn what a peace of wire sounds like. You can hear the difference between a Flat Coin or Coin on edge. Funny how those old machine can tell you found Gold. The sound is just like gold looks. Soft and Butter like.

Edited by homefire

Frank, thanks for that. I'll see if I can track down that book.

Kaimi, thanks for the info. I had the headphones on the entire time, it made me a litte nervous because I don't think I will be able to hear rattle snakes and we have plenty.

Thanks homefire, I'll check those out.

I found a copy of Zip Zip on Amazon...$294. I just PM'd Jim McCullough about his book also.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help and support.

Thanks Adam, I'm going back out this weekend hopefully all day this time.

I told a friend the other day, it's like elk hunting...filling the tag is a bonus, the fun comes from the hunt. :thumbsupanim