Nugget Shooter Forums

Instructional Reading Material

I would like some advice, please! I have in my possession, and have read completely, the book Rocks From Space. Though it is a great book for the basic knowledge of meteorites, can someone recommend a book that is a little more detailed about meteorites? I would like something that touches on subjects such as meteorite composition, flight characteristics, meteor formation, etc. Just something more in-depth than the book I have. Thanks in advance.

Chris there is a book called

Meteorites: Classification and Properties

by John T. Wesson.

It's available through Amazon.com. It's pricey, but might be what you're looking for. Look for reveiws before buying it. Suggest buying it used.

But there is a ton of detailed info to be found online.

Saginaw

Edited by saginaw72

That's John Wasson, not John Wesson!

Just loooked up The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Meteorites, and when I saw that the book goes for between $200 and $1200 I realized I didn't need it that bad. LOL. However, I talked to my local library earlier and was told that they can get me a copy from another branch that I can purchase. Just waiting for the call now.

Yea, I was going to mention that the Cambridge EoM is out of print and a bit pricey. Here's a few of my favorites in decreasing order of complexity:

• Meteorites and the Early Solar System II, Lauretta & Mcsween - a graduate level + compilation of more than you could ever want to know about meteorites
  • The Origin of Chondrules and Chondrites, Sears - very detailed look into chondrule formation
  • Meteorites and Their Parent Planets, Mcsween - gives a great idea on where meteoroid bodies originate and how they find their way to Earth
  • Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites, Norton and Chitwood - great all-around book
  • Rocks From Space, Norton - a bit easier reading, for the intermediate collection/hunter
  • Meteorite Hunting: How to Find Treasure From Space, Notkin - great reading for the beginner/intermediate level, best photos of the lot (worth it just for the pictures!)
  • What's so Mysterious About Meteorites?, Norton - for children and novice collectors, still a fun read

I doubt the library will sell you that book...if they do, someone is sleeping at the switch! The only books they should be selling are ones that are worn beyond use and can be replaced easily...the cambridge should not be a book you can check out but should be reference only.

fred

I doubt the library will sell you that book...if they do, someone is sleeping at the switch! The only books they should be selling are ones that are worn beyond use and can be replaced easily...the cambridge should not be a book you can check out but should be reference only.

fred

Fred,

I was told by the librarians at both of the branches (my local branch and the branch it is being transferred from) that the book would be able to be purchased because it was a donated book to the branch in the LA area. Since it is not a book that the library purchased, it is available for purchase. That's just what they told me. Let's see if it pans out that way.

Chris

Hope it works out...you may get a real deal...Libraries have tons of donated books that they have incorporated into the system-I donot see why that would makes them available for-sale...clearly I will have to be more careful when I give books to the library from now on.

thanks for the info.

No problem, Fred. I learned long ago that with most libraries, especially the one here in Barstow, when books get donated the library will put them up for sale in a little side from inside the library building. That money goes to help the library cover expenses that the county will not.

Here is a good pdf download to start with it includes:

1. The Living Earth, Asteroids, Comets, and Meteorites , By: Jon Erickson
  2. Chesapeake Invader, Discovering Americas Giant Meteorite Crater, By: C. Wylie Poag
  3. Falling Stars, A Guide to Meteors & Meteorites, By: Mike D. Renolds
  4. Field Guide To Meteors and Meteorites, By: Richard Norton, Lawrence A Chitwood
  5. Find a Falling Star, By: Harvey H. Nininger
  6. Asteroids, Comets, and Meteorites by Jon Erickson
  7. Hunting For Starts- Michel Maurette
  8. Meteorite Craters- Kathleen Mark
  9. Meteorite Hunter- Roy A Gallant
  10. Meteorites and their parent planets- Harry Y McSween Jr.
  11. Meteorites Their Imapct on science and History- Brigitte Zanda Monica Rotaru
  12. Rocks From Space- O Richard Norton
  13. Space Rocks and Buffalo Grass- Ellis L. Peck
  14. Stardust and Meteorites- Maria Lugaro
  15. Stones From Stars- T.R. LeMaire
  16. T- Rex and the Crater of Doom- Walter Alvarez
  17. The Cycle of Cosmic Catastrophes- Richard Firestone
  18. The Solar System, Asteroids, Meteorites, and Comets- Linda T. Elkins
  19. The Tucson Meteorites- Richard R. Willey
  20. Thunderstones and Shooting Stars- Robert T. Dodd

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82003554/meteorite%20books.zip