Nugget Shooter Forums

Who's up for a little prospecting adventure this Friday 4/18/14

azblackbird

My regular prospecting partner hung it up for the summer and is heading up north. I'm too poor to head north, so I'm stuck here for the summer. Having made my mind up that I'm going to devote more time to gold prospecting (vs. my other hobbies), I figure I'll try to get out in the early mornings for a few hours whenever the weather is below 105°, or after we get a good rain.

I'll be heading out this Friday early in the morning to do some prospecting in the Garfias/Morgan City Wash area north of the mile markers. My research indicates mucho gold bearing indicators that warrant at least a good look see. If you have/had dirt bike riding experience, I'm extending an open invitation for somebody with that experience to join me. If you come... you'll be riding one of my Rokons (see photo below) equipped with a large tote and saddlebags with ample room to carry your detector and digging tools. Plus you'll also have a lunch box on the front for sodas/water, and a lunch. The terrain we'll be riding varies from nice smooth single track, to old rocky mining pack trails, to narrow rocky washes, and a few steep rocky hills thrown in for good measure, so taking a qwad or UTV is out of the question. If you decide to join me, I strongly suggest you wear good sturdy boots, pants, gloves, long sleeve shirt, and anything else that is somewhat brush or thorn resistant. I would also recommend at least a 100 oz. camelback, some salty snacks, a good lunch, and a few bottles of water or soda to stash in your cooler. I've got sunscreen, snake bit/first aid kit, and all the other survival goodies I normally carry with me when out in the boonies. The high for the day is suppose to be 83°, so that should allow us a full day of detecting without worrying about getting heatstroke.

If this sounds like your style of prospecting/adventure/fun, you can PM me (Gary) or give me a call @ 623-363-5333 and we’ll discuss the particulars.

greenrokon.jpg

What drives this tree climber or what I mean is what drives the front wheel ? and does the back wheel have sprocket also ? I can't tell by the pic. Wish I was there I would love to go where that machine can go, but I'm in CA getting ready for work so I can afford my Winters in AZ Lots of luck to ya an keep the rubber side down. :4chsmu1:

What drives this tree climber or what I mean is what drives the front wheel ? and does the back wheel have sprocket also ? I can't tell by the pic. Wish I was there I would love to go where that machine can go, but I'm in CA getting ready for work so I can afford my Winters in AZ Lots of luck to ya an keep the rubber side down. :4chsmu1:

It's 2WD. 90° mitre box drives the front wheel via chain and sprocket off of a shaft connected to a borgenson U-joint in the steering head connected to a sprauge clutch driven shaft in the frame that is connected to another mitre box for the rear wheel chain drive which is encased in a 3 speed plunger transmission driven by a belt from a variable speed comet clutch connected to the engine shaft. :89:

A friend of mine was doing a Care taker job on a ranch north of Duglas AZ. I went there thinking I could hit the washes and have some good times. It was 116F and I melted. I could not function in the stuff. I spent the three days at the Ranch house with out Electric and Cooling . Gave up after I ran out of the beers I brought with me. God, I just can't take that heat any more. Living in Tucson as a kid I would go out in the Desert with my bow and arrows and hunt rabbits for like 5 hours at a time . No Water with me just do it. It got up to 120 some times out there. I guess living in the UK and cooler places changed my blood.. I sure can't do it any more. .

Edited by homefire

Homefire as kids theres lots of things we did it's a wonder were still alive...lol Gary thats one sharp looking scootor it kind of looks like a mule and tote-gote got crossbred and you got the offspring

Gary thats one sharp looking scootor it kind of looks like a mule and tote-gote got crossbred and you got the offspring

They've been making Rokons since 1963. In fact, they are the 2nd oldest continuous American motorcycle manufacturer behind Harley Davidson. As a kid I always watched Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom with Marlin Perkins. They rode Rokons quite frequently on the show in all kinds of nasty places around the world. Ever since then I've always wanted one… or two. :idunno:

Gary your talking about going places that's just a normal day here, on foot.

I'm jealous of that little Green machine, it should be in the back of my Toyota ready for it's daily workout.

Hope you find a partner and you have a ball and find a new patch!!!

Gary your talking about going places that's just a normal day here, on foot.

I'm jealous of that little Green machine, it should be in the back of my Toyota ready for it's daily workout.

Hope you find a partner and you have a ball and find a new patch!!!

Thanks Don. Those little bikes do save on a lot of hiking. Plus they can carry a couple hundred lbs. if need be pretty much wherever you'd want to hike anyways.

Gary, sent you a PM.

bob

Replied back. Wouldn't mind the company, but you'd have one helluva long day.