Nugget Shooter Forums

Digging into the past

adam

Boulder dash and I decided to try and dig out a possible mine tunnel from the past. The gold in this vein is rich and there was evidence that a tunnel could be under a bunch of sluff material. What the heck ! lets dig into it and see what we find......

DSC07087_zps846e7d17.jpg

The work was exhausting, and we really didn't know for sure what was beneath.. Is it worth it at all... :grr01: Boulder dash giving the signal that we have hit a void under the earth :oregonian_winesmiley:

DSC07083_zps7f0f126d.jpg

We definitely started seeing the vein outline of the top ( or back) of the tunnel taking shape. It was becoming dangerous, and it seemed that the tunnel was filled deliberately...we had to call it quits for now, but I would call it a tremendous success...stay tuned...there may be more to come....

DSC07086_zpse124f96f.jpg

Could mother nature have filled it in...stay tuned and most importantly...stay safe.

Could mother nature have filled it in...stay tuned and most importantly...stay safe.

Absolutely and it did for sure, at least on the exterior ..but the rock seems a little suspect further in. probably just natural, and we need to dig it out further to tell for sure...

I've just mucked out two old time pockets, one seems to have been caved after the prospector was done. Lot's of big rocks in the pit. Moved a few tons of dirt and rock but on the vein now and raring to find the AU he left behind.

Back in the 70's a friend and I made a trip to Helvetia Az. Spent the night checking out all the old mines. In the morning we seen what looked like a Coyote Den in the side of the hill. Poked a flash light in there and Hell, it was a Mine that the Dirt had slid down over covering the Entrance. Scooped out enough to get in and we found all kinds of goodies in there. A table with old bottles, Rusted out shovels, 1/2 case of #40 Dynamite, Tin can full of Blasting Caps, Rail and two ore carts. Rat chewed papers we could not figure out what it was. Covered up the hole best we could and planned on coming back next week. The week turned into months and when we did get back some else had got in there . Dumb Butts even took the Dynamite. Ore cars were gone as most of the Rail.

• 4 weeks later...

When you get that one done, I have a couple more for you. Only one shaft is open out of three that I know of. The quartz vein is about 2 foot wide, and the mine follows that vein. The miners worked up the incline vein, so there are mine openings up and down the hill. The one that has a ton of ore cart rail out in front of the mine is collapsed at the entance. would love to get inside and take a look around. Poison oak is pretty bad during Summer, so I useally go in the early spring or winter.